Playing 'up the neck' is there much advantage in double cuts?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Jockabilly, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It sure seems there is a lot of Panther love. Is there a similar current production Gretsch?

2. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    If you can't wrap your thumb over the neck in the cutaway, then a double cut is irrelevant.
    I played Yamaha SGs for years - basically a double cut Les Paul. There's the myth/perception that the upper fret access is better, because of the double cutaway, but it isn't. The heel gets in the way just as much as on a Les Paul.

wabash slim and Jockabilly like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That begs the question, do any of the double cut hollow bodies have the short heel like the Broadway Jade Penguin?

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those CB models don't even come close to a resonator banjo. They aren't bad at all really, you should check one out, the green one i tried was lovely in every way.
    My Epi Sheraton is a bit heavy and i actually use a thick padded banjo strap with it. Screenshot_2018-11-04-06-08-13-1.png Screenshot_2018-11-04-06-07-57-1.png

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Jockabilly likes this.
  5. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    If God wanted me to have access to the upper frets he would have given me the talent to know what to do up there! :p

JHowdy, section2, MTurner and 6 others like this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Not quite as high as the Penguin which joins at looks like the 20th, but the 5622T joins at the 18th and has a short heel. It's also a CB so is thinner.
    Not that it matters much to me, I noticed a couple days ago the smooth wear marks settling in under the Bm pent. around the 7th... :D

Bertotti and Jockabilly like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The 6122Jr might.

8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    The Players Edition Broadkaster models are the closest i believe.

G6609TG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there is the G6620TFM Nashville Players Edition.
    [​IMG]

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My Panther has the short heel, that's why the access is so good:
    6137TCB Panther 006.JPG

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    :eek:That TFM Nashville!!!!

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    They look good and would have looked great if they arched or had a bit more neck angle and a different Bigsby. I really don’t care for this type of Bigsby. I am under the impression I am not alone on this.

JC higgy and Aymara like this.
  12. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Exactly, because it has a short neck joint, not the historic long neck joint as most Jets and Penguins, which plain sucks ;)

But also my Panther has a much better high fret access as my Falcon.

And regarding the center block ...the Panther and the newer G5622 have a hollow CB, so the added weight is minimal.

Jockabilly likes this.
  13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Not a B5-7 hater, they work fine for me. I dig the new Broadkaster's, and Panthers and 5622's and 5422's and 5122's and...... :D

Bertotti and Jockabilly like this.
  16. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas

Now...THAT almost makes me want to buy another Gretsch. :cool::cool:

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I know how a single cutaway helps playing on the dusty end of the neck. I don't see how a 2nd cutaway on the opposite side can help any more.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    MMMMMM! Only on a Gretsch does gold hardware ever look good, but man, it looks good.

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Personally I don’t think a double cut does it just so happens with the double cut they have at times implemented a short neck join which helps a lot.

audept likes this.
  20. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Well I suppose the expectation (which may not be realised) is that you maintain the look and balance of the big body but, at the same time you can get a little farther up the neck without the need to reach around and remove your thumb from the upper back side of the neck which means you retain the leverage for bends etc. Personally I believe that it's my thumb that tells my brain where my fingers are at and I rarely look at the fretboard/neck markers while I play but, if I have to shift the positioning of my thumb I lose that sense of where the old fingers are.