Playing 'up the neck' is there much advantage in double cuts?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Jockabilly, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Hi all,

While I really enjoy playing my 5420T I do find it a bit restrictive above the twelfth. For some years I have been used to solid bodies with fairly easy access all the way up to the 24th fret (if they've got one) and I find myself reaching up to the high end only to struggle to hit what I want in those regions so the question I have, to those who own double cut types (I am particularly thinking 5422 electromatic at the moment) do they give a significant advantage at the high end and do they have a different sound to the single cuts?

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    5422's do have better access, they are still thicker than a 335 type guitar iirc. A Panther is probably the best access Gretsch semi.

Jockabilly likes this.
  3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Yes they have better/easier access high up the fretboard, but my experience is based on Falcons (both the 17" and 16" versions).

Jockabilly likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Remember the old saying: There is not much dollar to be earned above the 5th fret:cool:.

j.s.c, JHowdy, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  5. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Easy access all the way up to the 24th fret.

No, I'm sorry, I don't understand what you just said.

Jockabilly likes this.
  6. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    This is the G5622T CB i foolishly sold. Miss it now!
    Superb upper fret access & thinner body than the 5422... 04490FCC-2E7B-48B1-BD1A-8A60079FCFB2.jpeg

Jockabilly likes this.
  7. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Was.

Probably the Broadkaster now.

wildeman, Gretschmen65 and Trash Kidd like this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    60's double cuts are no different than single cuts ,because they join the body at the same point,14th fret.

70's models are good too,as long as you don't buy a reissue of a 60's model you'll be good for dusty end action.;)

Jockabilly likes this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That's the edge of the neck pickup for us mere mortals:D

MotorCentaur, RomanS and Jockabilly like this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, forgot about that one! A fine guitar and one the O.P. should definitely consider.

Jockabilly and Trash Kidd like this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Synchromatic

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I get higher neck access on my 2622. Not that I need to get up there all too often.

MrClint and Jockabilly like this.
  12. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Well I must admit that I would like to keep the fatter body. I am kind of wary of the extra weight of a centre block as I had a motorsickle crash some twenty odd years ago that really screwed up my neck and shoulders so the lighter the better, having said that I haven't come across a guitar as heavy as my banjo's which weigh somewhere around 14 pounds each.

Ideally I would love to retain the shape and thickness of the classic single cut but without the body width at the heel that makes reaching further up tricky without changing your hand position.

13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    IME, in Gretsch land, not as much difference as you might hope.

The top cutaway gives me maybe another 2-3 frets worth of access before I'm having to remove my thumb from the neck and go entirely over the top on any of the Gretsch doublecuts I've played (including my 5655). I've got fairly long fingers too.

Jockabilly likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Junior size hollow will have better access. 16th fret. Double cut jets with short joint at 19th. Corvette even higher I think.

audept likes this.
  15. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The Corvette/CVT has the best fret access of any modern Gretsch, period.
    There is no heel to speak of--the neck tongue is set into the body.

16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I forgot about my 5135, that one actually had pretty great access IMO.

My Committee is the most kinda nonsensical restricted access Gretsch IME, it's a neck through so why not just design it w/ deeper cutaways?:confused: Don't get me wrong, I really like it overall, just a goofy thing IMO...

J Bird likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don’t know about the big bodied guitars but my Broadway Jade is virtually unrestricted as far up as you would like to go.

audept likes this.
  18. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    It's the hollows I'm interested in. Y'know I didn't even realise the juniors had higher neck access as I've never really given them a close look. That would preserve the classic single cut look but give me access to a little more of the neck.

Bertotti likes this.
  19. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    My panther has great access to the upper frets
    D51A6E8D-34FE-4F62-BE1C-9EA823018A83.jpeg 8EAE9230-9460-4B3E-9C25-03BE0383E22E.jpeg

Merc, wildeman, Jockabilly and 3 others like this.
  20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I absolutely agree with you 100% My Panther has better upper-fret access than any of my other Gretsch hollowbodies.