Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Playing an running your mouth

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bertotti, Dec 2, 2017.

1. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Greg Koch can play mean guitar and tell non-stop rapid-fire jokes at the same time while re-tuning, making adjustments to the amp and moving the microphone stand around!

5120mantis and T Bone like this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I think that Koch is a great player; I could do without his banter.

3. Hydroman

Hydroman Electromatic

Feb 29, 2016
    Funtucky, Ca.
    Heres something to try, pick out a few songs that have fairly simple strumming patterns and simple vocals,preferably A few tunes that have similar strumming patterns in tempo with the singing.I.E. Folsom Prison is one. Play along with the recording and eventually without it. If it doesnt work out keep trying because it will come.

Its like driving a Manual Shift (stickshift) car. At first you concentrate on the clutch and RPM's and shifting, and eventually your driving down the road without ever really concentrating on your shifting anymore.It just comes.

4. Les PaltaX

Les PaltaX Gretschie

Nov 8, 2017
    Chile
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure science has the answer:

The brain can't focus on 2 things at once, what it does instead is changing focus between both things really quickly. If you don't believe me, do some research or just try to top 4/4 with one hand and 3/4 with the other WITHOUT PRACTICING FIRST. Once you practice, it's different because...

... Muscle memory comes in play ! When you use that memory, the brain only has to focus in the other activity, so you can do both at the same time.

So, conclusion: To sing and play something, at least one of both has to be almost automatic. If you can play a solo like you brush your teeth, I guarantee you will be able to sing/talk at the same time. (I don't guarantee you can sing while brushing your teeth, though)

That works for me at least, and I'm pretty sure biology/neuroscience/whateveritis backs me up.

Good luck and let us know of your improvements !!

5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Seriously? I can't chew bubble gum and walk at the same time.

6. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    For some reason it was never an issue for me, personally. As others have said however, I believe all you can do is practice. BB King always said he could not play and sing at the same time....and he did alright.

7. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    h562d5561.jpg

I'm OK singing and strumming. I need the music in front me to do it though.

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Much of guitar playing comes down to procedural memory, aka muscle memory. The complex Chet stuff requires it, so does much else. That’s why the drudgery of practicing scales is so beneficial in the long run; you are banking a wealth of procedural memories which make your guitar playing automatic instead of conscious. Last night I spent some quality time with the Synchro Signature Model (G6120-DC) and played some jazz tunes with the lights off; just the guitar and I with a feline audience. Sometimes I would find myself wondering how I was playing whatever I was playing at that moment. I would improvise a phrase and land gently on a chord substitution without forethought. I can only surmise that all the hours of playing chord sequences, including some with substitutions, must be paying off.

Singing is another matter, because you are essentially playing two instruments at once. I find it easier to go a bit flat when playing a complex guitar line while I’m singing. Playing bass and singing is challenging too.

9. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    When I played piano I had to get to a point where I could play the music while watching t.v. mindless playing allowed me to add vocals at that point.

10. Les PaltaX

Les PaltaX Gretschie

Nov 8, 2017
    Chile
    Maybe you should practice more one of those :p

Totally. First time I got guitar lessons, I couldn't understand why my teacher had to keep coming to the guitar in order to write a tab... I thought: "If he can play it, he of course knows the frets he has to write..." and then I understood he did it so automatically, thanks to muscle memory, he actually needed to go back to the guitar in order to be able to write the thing down

Tony65x55 likes this.
  11. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    The only time i can sing and play simultaneously without goofing up is in front of an audience, or when some one else is singing also.

12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I can sing and play guitar just as I can sing and play the drums. Having said that, although I can sing and play the guitar, the number of things that I still can't do on a guitar is (in my mind) staggering. I quoted Les PaltaX here, because I find his post accurate to my own experience. If I stay out of my head, and just play, then things go well, however, and especially when I am playing the drums, if I try to think ahead about something (this is something I do in practice, when I think about a better way to play something) things can get fouled up quickly. I have learned that when I am performing something, I try to stay out of my head - my drum teacher taught me that, and will be forever grateful. By that, I mean that I just use the muscle memory to play, and just feel the music. It's not automatic, but with practice, you can get there.

Note: I do not currently play lead guitar, but maybe one day I will. Generally, though, guitarist playing lead do not sing while playing a lead line.

13. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    All of this muscle memory talk reminds of Howie Meeker. He was a hockey player that went on to be a TV commentator, and developed hockey instructional camps, books, and videos. I went to his hockey camp as a young teen. He said something like:

You skate from the waist down, and play hockey from the waist up. If you develop your skating so you can do it without thinking... your brain can focus on hockey.

Bertotti likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    As a kid all I wanted to do was play hockey and skate but ice hockey although on tv was not available in my area. We had winter, from Iowa originally, but no leagues around me nor rinks to this day there isn't a rink where I came from. But that all seems too true. I rememebr Meeker.

15. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    His banter is why I keep coming back.

16. johnny g

johnny g Electromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Try slowing the tempo down even on a fast song. Say 66 bpm from 120. Also using a metronome was a big help for me. I am a singer first and guitar player second. I practice singing about an hour without guitar 5 days a week, then I add guitar for about an hour each day.

17. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Discovering that for the first time must have been terrifying.

18. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Electrifying was more like it, i got zapped by the mic.

19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Maybe it worked like shock treatment. :)

5120mantis likes this.
  20. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    Doing to much of the latter has affected the former for me