Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Playing an running your mouth

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bertotti, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Once again a new question anything, in particular, to get better at running your mouth and playing at the same time? As soon as my trap opens it is a matter of how many measures before I mess up playing. I would like to improve that. I can’t even hold a conversation although I can talk a bit which is better then it was.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I can’t seem to be able to play the guitar and use my voice at the same time.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    benjwri likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Practice a lot.

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I see a lot of slap bass players that try to sing and play at the same time. Note the word "try".

5. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    The announcer guy on Price is Right played a drum set while describing sa showcase. That would seem hard as the prize and the drum beat were totally different. Obviously the guy had been a drummer at one time but still....
    I listened to see if he ever started to talk in time with the music and he never did. Impressive.

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well at least I am apparently doing the right thing, practice practice practice. I have been intentionally trying to get my kids into conversations while playing because they will point out every little error but some of their questions I have to think about to answer and that is hard.

7. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Patience is the key in my opinion. Just keep trying and practicing and it'll eventually improve.

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Me too.

A+!

9. Just-joshua-ya

Just-joshua-ya Electromatic

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I can talk/sing while playing rhythm but if I try while playing lead or bass my voice wants to follow the guitar or vice-versa... either way it's not good!

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I corrected my auto correct. I switched to Grammarly but still autocorrect gets the best of me at times.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Autocowrecks makes a monkey out of the best of us at times.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Whoever set the standards for automistake failed English 100.

13. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Falmouth, Va
    I played guitar and kept my mouth shut for too long... So, now I constantly struggle with playing and singing or calling chords. Never mind talking about something else.

It's all about practice, though. Any technique, it's sadly all the same. I wish I had figured out some short cuts, but I haven't found one yet in music.

14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I find singing with guitar fairly easy.

Bass is another matter

15. T Bone

T Bone Synchromatic

Can't do it either. Trying to learn to sing (more or less) and play at the same time.

I call it Auto incorrect. Used it so often it now appears in predictive text. :D

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I had to put a ton of work into being able to sing and play at the same time, but now it's coming along fairly well on guitar. Bass, as you said, is different. Maybe your brain needs to do more work, since the guitar is more-or-less in the human vocal range.
    Just keep at it man, it took me a lot of time and effort before I could as well.
    As for autocowrecks, it also show up in my predictive. :p

T Bone likes this.
  17. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Can barely do one at a time....

ZackyDog, CatTones and TW4990 like this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I recently watched a Youtube vid of Devin Townsend giving an interview while playing incredibly complicated stuff. My jaw litterally dropped.

Although I really tried and practised a lot, I have massive problems performing vocals and guitar at the same time. I would love to be able to do it and I won`t give up on this.
    It`s the damn multitascing number...
    I blame this on not being a woman or at least a drummer...;):rolleyes:

19. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    When I was in my late teens, I went through a period of time when I could play and talk at the same time, effortlessly. I also played better than average during that same time. Apparently something switched on in my brain, stayed on for a few months, then went away. These days I can sing and play, both rhythm and lead, but my singing is better when I don't play.

T Bone likes this.