Pickup Choices for Three Pro Jets

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Anacharsis, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    Here's the black one. Like the gold one, it has the chrome pickup surrounds instead of the plastic. black.jpg

new6659 and section2 like this.
  2. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    So, I assume that this is the black with the HS Filter'Trons. Looks great. But, I wonder how they sound? Don't know if its possible to embed a sound track in Gretsch Talk, but it would be helpful.

Wade

3. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    No, all of the guitars currently have their original Blacktop Filter'Trons, with the purple one having a DC SHT in the neck.

There's no need for clips of how they currently sound. I'm just fielding ideas of what variety of pickups to try in them.

4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Thanks! I do love The Cardinal, and that pickup combo is a big part of the reason why.

20190211_195444.jpg

hcsterg and Anacharsis like this.
  5. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    I've decided the HS Filter'Trons are going in the gold one. I'm deciding between T-Armonds and Magna'Trons and something else entirely for the black one. The purple one will get pickups last, and get something high output and humbucking.

6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    The purple one, as pictured, has the plastic pickup rings and no screws in the pickups themselves. I believe this means they need English mount pickups, using the TV Jones terminology. Is it even possible to put HS Filter'Trons into such a guitar?

section2 likes this.
  7. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    Answers my question. So I'll have to get blocks and rings if I got that route. Good to know!

8. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Yes, it's quite doable. You need one of these:

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...ron-parts/filtertron-humbucker-adapter-plate/

And one of these:

https://tvjones.com/products/dual-screw-mount-adaptor

These adapters can be easily made from household materials if you're a little handy and want to save a few dollars. I made a pair of adapter plates from some clear acrylic. @calebaaron666 made some out of popsicle sticks.

EDIT: It looks like the hole spacing on the Philadelphia Luthier adapter plate is 0.5mm narrower than the spacing on the pickup rings. This shouldn't be a problem, but if you're picky, you can always make your own adapters.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Anacharsis likes this.
  9. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Electromatic

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I just dropped a PowerTron bridge and Classic neck into my new 5232. They sound amazing together in the middle position, and great individually as well. The PowerTron has a gutsier midrange than the Classic Plus that’s in my 5422, but it still has plenty of FilterTron top end openness and bite.

Anacharsis likes this.
  10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Another vote for Power'trons in the third, with a + in the bridge position. Love the sound of those.

Anacharsis likes this.
  11. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    This won't be difficult at all. Thanks!

I'm now leaning strongly toward a Power'Tron/Power'Tron Plus combo in the gold, with the HS Filter'Trons in the purple, and the T-Armonds (or possibly Magna'Trons) in the black.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  12. maverick-tx

maverick-tx Electromatic

Feb 7, 2017
    TX
    Well, if you do with TVJ for everything, you can just use their mounting system I think.

13. maverick-tx

maverick-tx Electromatic

Feb 7, 2017
    TX
    Tried to link a video of mine. Didn’t work

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice