Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Pickguards

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bertotti, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have one but would rather not, I like seeing all the guitar top. I haven't played a Gretsch without one but wonder how many of you would actually hit the top of the guitar while playing? I wonder if it would be better named a finger rest rather than pickguard.

2. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    It depends on how you play. Check our Willies trigger. For finger style though I like the picjguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    The only guitar I find I need the pick-guard on is my Broadway - I find myself resting a pinkie on it for some reason. Other than that I only use them for looks...

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Just how do you wear a top out so badly? I assume you mean Willie's N20?

Oddly enough flush mounted pickguards bug me less than the suspended ones. Must be a personal issue.

dlew919 likes this.
  5. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    He uses a pick on a nylon string guitar. Otherwise I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    He uses a pick or an AXE? xD

dlew919 likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I remember someone years ago on another board posting a pick of his fretboard on his strat. Major wear between the strings he couldn't figure out why then you see a pic of him holding it and you wonder just how did he fret with such long fingernails.

8. Les PaltaX

Les PaltaX Electromatic

Nov 8, 2017
    Chile
    I've only had an Ibanez Gio with those "glued pickguards" which pretty much are part of the guitar and I found myself needing the pickguard.
    I have a Fernandes Monterey (Pretty much a Les Paul) without pickguard and at the beginning I needed it, but not anymore. I used to hit the top of the guitar.

I guess it has to do with technique flaws

9. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I was taught not to touch the top of the guitar or even the pick guard. That was a very steep learning curve, but it’s pretty rare for me to get anywhere near the top with the pick. I could probably ditch the pick guard, but I like the way they look. Right now, my 6120 DC is somewhat disassembled for a modification and the pick guard is off of it. It looks strange to me.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've got guitars with and without pickguards. Acoustics with the glued on plates are fine. Electrics with don't faze me unless they interfere with my playing, then they get adjusted. I've got 'em both ways. I just deal with it.

Willie's not the only guy that wears holes in the top of his guitar. Richie Havens is another. Willie's Trigger's been rebuilt a time or two. The wear obviously comes from exuberant strumming. I think he only has the one Martin, (I'd be really surprised if he didn't have a spare) but I know he has more than one of the old '70s Baldwin amps---designed to work with Baldwin's Prismatone pickup.

11. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I don't anchor but when strumming my fingers do dangle and occasionally brish or hit the pickguard. I can imagine that over decades it could wear the finish. So I keep the pickguard on. I do like the looks of pickguard.

12. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I took the guard off of my 6120, and found it much easier to play. I no longer keep hitting my spare fingers on the guard.

You could always fit a clear guard if you need to see more of the top.

National19 likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have had my BJP long enough now I think I might miss it if I take it off. Should I ever buy another I think removal will be the first thing I do before I get used to it. I can always put it back on. I was just curious. I have found now that I have a pickguard the I started resting a pinky on it and that is a habit I don't want.

14. russmack

russmack Gretschie

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    My 6120 gets let out for a run every fourth day. For the preceding three days I play acoustics.

When playing my acoustics, I let my right hand float. Not anchored anywhere. And, so far, no problems.

For some weird reason, when playing my 6120, I keep brushing the bridge with the heel of my right hand. In other words, I keep muting the strings.

This only happens when I'm plugged in to an amp. Could be I'm stupidly anticipating a mistake that I haven't yet made.

By the way, I've recently discovered that playing a loud electric is a totally different ball game than playing acoustically.

Anyone else agree? Or disagree?

Russ

15. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    They're just decoration to me, and a handy place to stash a few spare picks on a 'Fender-a-like'.
    A place to rest fingers, I get, but never understood how people manage to gouge holes in the top from playing - how bad does your playing have to get for you to be hitting the top with the pick???

16. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Fit a Melita or Space Control bridge. You'll never touch it again.

russmack and audept like this.
  17. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Clear guard? Like my old Orange 5420.... CC055292-B9FB-485B-9CC7-6731ED23DFDA.jpeg Show that body & F hole off!

Zeek likes this.
  18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I have them with and without. There are no finger marks visible on my Reverend PA-1 but you can see them on my Panther if you hold the guitar at a certain angle. To me, while I like to keep my guitars in good condition, cleaned, polished etc., at the end of the day they are tools and are going to show some wear.