Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Pickguard warp - why?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by personatech, Aug 12, 2017.

1. personatech

personatech Electromatic

Apr 27, 2010
    Roanoke Rapids, NC
    Hi all,

This G100CE at a great price has caught my eye: https://reverb.com/item/5673422-gretsch-g100ce-synchromatic-cutaway

[​IMG]

Overall, the guitar seems to be in good shape with just a couple of nicks and some tarnish on the tailpiece and pickup; however, the pick guard is warped as you can see in this photo:

[​IMG]

In all fairness, the owner did point this out in the listing and has priced the guitar accordingly. I asked how this might have happened and he responded that he didn't know, speculated that perhaps it had been in its case too long (although it appears to be the correct Gretsch archtop case), and mentioned that he had had a Les Paul do the same thing once. He does live in Arizona - maybe it's a heat issue? I could just buy the guitar and, with the savings over the prices others have listed, purchase a new pick guard if the warp really bugs me and still pocket some cash. What do you think? Is this kind of warpage common with arch top pick guards or might there be some other reason behind it?

2. Arky

Arky Gretschie

Feb 4, 2012
    Texas
    Yeah, probably just got deformed a little from sitting in a hot case. That case.... not sure it's the right one. Look at the picture of the inside of the case lid - Knobs, bridge, strings firmly pressed into the lid - too tight. Buy the guitar, sell the case and pick up one of these - it's roomier:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-deluxe-classical-guitar-case

And pocket the difference.

I'd say it's possible to flatten the pickguard by removing it and putting it on a flat surface in a warm oven overnight - but have a backup plan..... :)

3. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Hmmm. I was just sure that G100CEs came only in natural or black...

4. personatech

personatech Electromatic

Apr 27, 2010
    Roanoke Rapids, NC
    I was wondering if it would be possible to flatten the guard - thanks for a kind of confirmation. I noticed those impressions in the case as well but thought maybe it was normal. The case does have the arch top hump but it could be that Gretsch has several models that do. Buying a good cheapie and selling the Gretsch case might be worth looking into.

In the meantime, I've asked the owner about how well the pots work.

With the matte finish, I think it would be easy to make a black G100CE look grey in the right lighting.

5. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    You mean it is black? Well, blow me down, it looks blue to me!

6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A bit of everything. Plastic may a bit too thin and weak to bear the weight of the pots and maybe it did sit in the tight fitting case too long.

The case looks like a perfect fit to me. You want it tight for transport.

7. Arky

Arky Gretschie

Feb 4, 2012
    Texas
    It hasn't been played much - the back of the neck is still matte. Playing one of these for a good amount of time makes the back of the neck turn glossy. Was someone's case queen is my guess....

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, if I was you and if you are confident enough, it's not very difficult ;
    - remove your pickguard.
    - dismantle every part from it.

This pickguard is made from quite basic plastic. I suspect some kind of PC, PMMA or Acrylic...

Using some press, vises or cauls with a suitable installation (wood shimmers, etc...) you would be able to correct the warp, letting the pickguard one week under pressure, checking and correcting if required time to time.

You can also try to bend it under heat (hair dryer, hot water). It's faster but it can be a little more touchy (heat !).

Both methods works, I tested them on that kind of plastic sheets, but it's a case by case basis...

You can equally find one new G100CE pickguard on spare parts via eBay or guitar parts sellers a bit specialized in Gretsch guitars : they're quite cheap... No more hassle !

A+!