Peterson addiction

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, May 25, 2019.

1. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I think the thing to keep in mind about strobe tuners is that when they are moving really slowly, you are very close to absolutely in-tune.

It would be nice to be have an audible demonstration of that. I think I know how you can do that if you have an iPhone, or if you have some type of audio signal generator.

I have an app called Beeping App - Tone Generator. You can get that to play a pretty specific frequency, to many decimals. Try A=220 and tune your 5th string. You may have to calibrate either the tuner or the adjust the frequency to match the Peterson.

Then listen for the beating of the guitar’s string versus the tone generator, If you look at the Peterson, one of the octaves will be moving in sync with the beating, from black to white and then black for one wave cycle.

That will give you a really good sense of how in-tune you are.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    .... just got back from the post office ..... returned

Bertotti likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I can tune mine and it will stop, just used it this morning but it apparently isn't for everyone. A strobe was actually the second tuner I ever bought. The first was some long Daddario beast that got the job done sort of. My son used a snark it works for him but he has stopped playing over a year ago now. He doesn't want to get rid of his guitar but he also doesn't want to play. I don't get it.

thunder58 likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    kids .... can't beat'em . There all related ;)

Bertotti likes this.
  5. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I have a Peterson Strobo + HD that is pretty easy to use, and it has introduced me to strobe tuning in a painless fashion. I also like its ability to tune to different pitches/tunings by allowing changes either by Hz or Cents. But I mostly bought it for my bench when I do set ups and intonation. It is too big for a pedal board.

Does that Sonic Research ST 300 mini allow for different tunings by Hz, or cents?

EDIT: I just saw the new StroboStomp HD that's soon to be released..I want one!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 3:16 PM
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'm pretty sure most people here have guitars they haven't played in well over a year. Some have probably forgotten some of their guitars.

new6659 likes this.
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I've got 4 peterson strobo tuners :) two stompers, two clip ons and the app on my iphone and ipad which are INCREDIBLE!!!

Bertotti likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have the app also on my iPhone but it really needed a nice quiet room to work well or a mic attached to it. If I actually go for this new stomp it will make five. I don't think I really need a stomp tuner. Would much prefer a new grill. Hey, one needs priorities!

9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Always on the board. On the board first. But look at a Sonic Research Turbo...

10. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Electromatic

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    I have had a Strobo Plus HD for over a year now and love it. Big fan of the sweetened tuning s they work especially well for acoustic guitar and dobro.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 7:36 PM
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Four Peterson tuners the grill won. New thread coming.

12. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I dont agree Bertotti. I found out about it when I was at a show w Buzz Campbell and he had his iphone laying on his amp w the app. Sold me instantly. Use the boost mode and the noise reduction mode, works perfect. My son lays his phone on the bridge of his bass, I toss it on the amp.. Our noise bag drummer never shuts up but the tuner still works :) Almost better than the pedals and clip :)

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Mine is the original iPhone one probably still the beta, I got lucky and got it early. It sounds like I need to update it! Thanks for the heads up Tavo!

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  14. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I’ve got an Apogee Jam to plug my guitar into the iPod and iPad.

The tuner app would work well with a bluetooth transmitter plugged into your board somewhere.

15. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I just had a weird idea.

You have a reference frequency. You calculate the phase of the cycle of your reference frequency where the peak of the input signal is [or where the input signal crosses from negative to positive], you display that as a series of lights, like a binary number.

Then you measure it again, the closer you are to in-tune, the more numbers on the left will not change. It’s very much like a strobe, but you’re not looking for physical drift, and you get really obvious feedback.

But unless you knew binary, you would have a hard time telling visually if you were sharp or flat. You could indicate that with red or green, I guess.

Maybe it wouldn’t be too hard to learn, you would either accumulate 1s on the left or lose them. I have a binary clock, I know it’s near midnight when there are a lot of lights.

[​IMG]

This clock has a sort of flow upwards to it.

I think you could do it with each of two or three lights representing one third or one fifth etc. of a cycle [the numbers on the clock above are in BCD, binary coded decimal, 4 lights per decimal digit]. I can’t quite decide if that would be useful. If you’re not measuring every wave cycle, I don’t think it is.

10 01 10 10 00
    10 01 10 01 10

But you could calculate the phase of the harmonics of the reference frequency and display them all in a pretty compact space.

9 11101000
    7 11101011
    3 0110000
    5 10110000
    1 01110011

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 8:14 AM
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    make me a tuning app that looks like back to the future, we'll do business.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice