Peterson addiction

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, May 25, 2019.

1. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

An outstanding tuner, have had this 10 years and it’s the most used pedal on my board (the Mystery Brain is rarely turned off)...pardon the clutter

54B1786F-080E-4097-8692-9F433018768E.jpeg B285BE35-69E9-4BAB-B37D-324E8CDA1254.jpeg

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure it's a good tuner as well I have seen a lot of good comments on it. Sadly I am really taken with this soon to be, new, offering from Peterson. Price is higher than some but my wife thinks if it's released in time it can be a fathers day present. If not it can be a late fathers day present! hahahahaa

Waxhead and thunder58 like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ...or 3 weeks after Fathers Day Gift :p Thanks for the info on the clip and the new Peterson pedal

Waxhead likes this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Re Strobe Tuners
    I've only owned/used 2 - Peterson Strobo Stomp and the Turbo ST-200.

With those 2 the strobe almost always moves. The key is watching the speed of the movement.

If you adjust so the movement is very slow on the note then you're already lot's more accurate than a standard tuner like Boss- TU-3 is capable of. With strobes if you tweak lots you can get them 100% still but as soon as you let go of the tuning pegs it'll move a bit again. They are that accurate and so great to use for intonation also.

Between the Peterson & Turbo I find the Turbo easier to read and adjust cos it never moves as fast as the Peterson strobe. It's easier for my eyes to pick up the slower movement and it's bright red colour looks clearer to me. Plus the Turbo has a steel casing while the Peterson is plastic. Check out these videos :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bertotti likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I actually have a Korg Kronos X 61 key I imagine I could have done the same thing, I don't travel with it usually but the Minilogue or Karp could have been pressed into service as well, or the RP301 the kids had. Doh, but Honestly I still want a tuning fork. I used to be all excited when the music teacher would pull out a pitch pipe, something else I would like to have. haha hahaha I do have two tuning forks but I don't think either is good for guitar one is to low the other maybe possibly would work, but that is moot since I have no idea where they disappeared to in the house. They were some crazy aluminum tuning forks that my wife bought for me long ago because they were base tones good for your body and spirit. They did sound cool ringing through the body of my Little Martin.

Waxhead likes this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You might find this odd but I prefer the way the strobo stomp looks in the video but that may be because I am used to them but it sure was slower. I never bought one of the earlier stomps or digital ones because I hated the displays and wasn't sold on everything going digital. I just kept using the 590. Then this last November that was such a good deal I went all in. The displays are easy to follow and the new stomp has a display I really like especially with the ability to change the backlight to what suits me or the current lighting around me. We will see it isn't out yet so it could be a dog as well but with the last two HD releases, they seem to have really stepped up.

Waxhead likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've got a pitch pipe that I use for mando & fiddle. I haven't seen a tuning fork in years. These don't go out of tune, they work in all light conditions, and they never need batteries.

Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well Slim - great for you if your ears are good enough to accurately tune with a fork or pipe :)
    Mine are only good enough to get roughly in tune and for intonation I definitely need a strobe Turbo or Peterson :)

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I can get really close with an outside tone. Closer than my non strobo tuners get but not nearly as close as I can with the strobo. I actually think being able to get so close is a problem because I always notice a slight offness when things aren't just right. Sometimes I like the offness sometimes I don't. I practice by tuning one string on the mandolin then doing the rest by ear. I then go back and check with the tuner to see how close I was. I am finding I am not as good at this as I was a few years ago. I guess working in industrial environments hasn't been all that good for my ears, or its just age.

Waxhead likes this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    @thunder58 and I have been chatting. He did get a strobo clip but sadly he hates it. For anyone interested it isn't like other tuners. It doesn't just lock on you need to sneak up on it to get the rotation to stop. Now that I have used one for years going back to something like a snark bugs me or the built in tuner on the Penguin Parlour, it gets close but I can get closer with the strobe.

Anywho here are a couple of clips to watch before you buy. My first was a 590 which was a mechanical strob and the dial indicator had multiple lines to watch and you would not be able to stop them all. I was frustrated for days before I figured that out. I rarely use the 590 now I use these first two almost all the time. The 590 is relegated to bench use only for setups, and messing with tap tuning.

thunder58 likes this.
  11. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Electromatic

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    Which is fine if you're not playing on stage. One of the great things about a pedal tuner is it saves the audience needing to hear the band tune up--I don't miss those days at all. I always have a pedal tuner on stage.

Peterson tuners are great, but I've never owned one. I use a Polytune 2 on one board and a TU-3 on the other. They are both good tuners, but there are a ton of really good tuners out there and it really comes down to preference.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  12. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yeah, I'm not gigging anymore. I don't have an aversion to tuners---I just don't need them that badly for home use. I've got one sitting around somewhere, but the piano is always at hand. Pedal units are fine for stage use, and I do agree that tuning on stage isn't the greatest thing for an audience to listen to.

Petersons are great. I married one.

lp_bruce likes this.
  13. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Electromatic

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    Understood. If I wasn't gigging and playing at home, I might have a headstock tuner or not. I tuned to a piano for years.

Funny (or not), a standing joke in my family is "I love X. I'd marry it if it asked me," where X may be a taco, a tent, a TV show.... My family is weird. :confused:

14. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I've got the original Strobo Clip and somehow I haven't lost or broken it yet (like all the Snarks I've had). Maybe because it stays on my workbench. Great for setups, but it makes you want to get everything spot-on and there's seldom time for that on stage. Love the phone app, it's a must-have for guitar shopping. And when the salesdude at GC sees you using it, he usually leaves you alone.

Back in the '70s when I used to hang out at Henson's Music in Oxnard, we used their strobotuner for setups, and I thought that had to be the most marvelous piece of music technology ever invented. At least, until I learned about Bigsbys.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    lp_bruce likes this.
  15. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My wife's maiden name is Peterson. She didn't come with a tuner, tho.

thunder58 likes this.
  16. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Well ...... " hates " a strong word . Actually I think you were right in saying maybe I'm just use too something that " locks in ". I'll give it one more try when I get home today but no promises

17. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    .... my ex-wife lives up on the hill.... the house with the flying monkeys around it ........ SURRENDER DOROTHY in the sky is sometimes visible too

new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That's how this whole thing started . A friend gave me a Polytune as a gift , a really great tuner . So I ordered one myself to keep in the case / spare . Wound up with a lemon ( it happens ) while using it , it was flashing crazy like a cross between morse code and blinking Christmas lights

lp_bruce likes this.
  19. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Married 42 years, together 45. I didn't get lucky, I got blessed. Got great in laws to top it all off.

lp_bruce, Robbie and thunder58 like this.
  20. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    My ex is my first wife ...... should have met Marianne the first time around . This Friday , 21 years ;)

lp_bruce, Robbie and wabash slim like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice