Peterson addiction

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, May 25, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So back around 2000 I bought an Autostrobe 590, quite an expensive piece of tuning gear I used the hell out of.
    Last year they had a sale and I picked up the Storbo Plus HD with the metronome option and the Storbo Clip HD for less than the cost of the Strobo Plus HD without the sale. Been using them also now and the 590 less.

The Strobo Clip HD is in my mando case because I have been really focusing on it lately. But I just noticed they have a new pedal coming out and it looks nice! The last thing I need is another pedal or another tuner but the truth is I do not have a tuner on a pedal board. I just use the Plus or the HD but I can't help but wonder how much more convenient it would be having one on the board.

I left them a support ticket asking how I would explain this to my wife. I wonder if they will answer.

Have you seen this?
    StroboStompHD

2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    One day I'll buy one of those strange tuner (for cheap o_O / for the fun o_O) that makes me think of a Jaeger-Counter... :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bu it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Nothing beats a Conn or Peterson Strobe Tuner. I've been using them for 40 years.
    I do have the newer Peterson Clip and the Flip - they are okay but I still prefer the old Conn & Peterson 450, they are more stable and accurate.

Lionpotato and MotorCentaur like this.
  4. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    Try their iPhone app. Affordable and very useful, plus portable.

T Bone likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was tossed up on buying the Strobo Plus HD but its small takes up a fraction of the space and so far seems to be as accurate! Using the metronome wasn't very intuitive to learn though.

Attached Files:

thunder58 likes this.
  6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I'll have to wait for their flip phone version...:D.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I worked around univ bands and orchestras for decades. The old Peterson strobe tuners, the vertical ones, were really common. For some reason, the mikes supplied with them always disappeared---Shure Green Bullets, tho painted black. Wonder why?

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  8. dmunson

dmunson Electromatic

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    For home use, I've been using the V-SAM for the last 10 years or so. Worth every pennt I paid for it.

9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I have a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner that is a strobe tuner, and it's very accurate. Looking at the Peterson Strobo Stomp HD, I like the bigger display.

Waxhead and audept like this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    A pedal tuner is very convenient. I'm in the "some people obsess over tuning a little much". Getting that one open string "more" in tune most likely just means some fretted note is less in tune. It's the nature of the beast. If that's you, don't look up tuning temperament!

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I tune to my Wurly EP. Its tuning is fixed at A440Hz. After that, it's by my ear. After playing mostly acoustics for 50 years, I'm used to minor tuning inconsistencies.

Close enough for government work.

12. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I've been using the Strobostomp 2 for years. I'm waiting for the Strobostomp HD to be available in the Netherlands. I like the big display and it should make room for one more pedal on my pedalboard.

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I've had a Peterson Strobo Stomp for yrs but I found another one both better and cheaper.
    THIS Turbo Tuner is faster, more accurate, smaller, easier to read, built like a brick and much cheaper.

If you look in the TPG pedal geeks section you'll see it's been the tuner pedal of choice for at least 5 yrs now.
    I have 2 Turbos on 2 pedal boards and my Peterson only gets used with my bass.
    The Turbo still looks much more rugged than the new StroboStomp HD :)

https://www.turbo-tuner.com/index.htm
    https://www.turbo-tuner.com/media/ST200_Manual.pdf

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    stevo, RocknRollShakeUp and Bertotti like this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was emailing with Peterson years ago to find out how to do some sweetened tunings on the 590. I wasn’t sold it was a difference and I noticed it a bit to much.

Henry likes this.
  15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I have this one, I use it in my studio when I want things really in tune

FA37E879-44A2-4FD6-B64E-46A414B99F4A.jpeg

Lionpotato likes this.
  16. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I have a VS-II, the app and a model 320.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Petersons are great tools in the studio.
    For playing live I consider them to be a bit inconvenient.

The Planet Waves Tru-Strobe does a good job in my rig:
    upload_2019-5-26_12-5-10.jpeg
    Very durably made.
    Lit display.
    Very precise. I like it.

Robbie likes this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    It's funny this thread was started as I've been very dissatisfied lately with my current pedal and clip on tuners :

1 - my clip on is a TC Polytune . Latley I'm not sure it's as accurate as it should be . I purchased a second as a spare / keep in another case , and returned it within 4 days as every time I used it after a few minutes it would look like I was in a disco ball room it flashed so much and gave odd ball readings

2 - My KORG Pitchblack pedal seems to be a little on the off side also . just seems it's not up to par

Hate to ask ...... recommendations ?

19. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Can't get on with strobe anything, from guitar tuners to those damn direct drive turntables from back in the 80s -- something always seems to keep moving. I know -- it's probably just me.

Like thunder58 I have a Korg Pitchblack on my board and a TC clip- on Polytune when I'm not running through the board. They both seem OK to me. In a rack case I have one of those Korg thingies that looks like the sort of kit you might find on a trawler -- a huge swinging pointer that seems to indicate a shoal of mackerel down below! I ought to find a way of rigging that into the live system.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    thunder58 likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You know how small an A mandolin headstock is so it looks big here but it is tiny on the Penguin.

IMG_0113.jpg
    I got a snark for my son and it was good enough for him. He wasn't that picky his classes where just some hang out time in the end. I have a long skinny clip on not sure who made it off the top of my head it is sitting somewhere. I kept going back to the 590 but it is a pain to haul around so I tried it.

I love the Strobo Clip HD. Here's a couple of pics with outside at about 1145 yesterday, fairly bright cloudless day. I couldn't get a reading from it holding it so I clipped it to my railing. Looks like my railing has pretty good tap tone! But if you can get past the always moving bit of a strobe you'll love it. Once I started using the strobe I hated every clip-on tuner I got, until now. Keep in mind the slight creep of the strobe but I have found I can get them to stop. I also noticed you have to pick your point in the picking process that you want to tune to. I don't use the initial attack but a tiny bit after it when I really notice the note.
    IMG_0124.jpg IMG_0125.jpg

Waxhead and thunder58 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice