Penguin with a Mohawk?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Sep 11, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'd be all over this one if I were in the market, but wonder about the Mohawk the Penguin is wearing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-G6134T-KWP-KDFSR-Kenny-Wild-Penguin-from-Japan/274003249194?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=b94508ab6fab4fbfb0207ac315c1fa37&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=323787853729&itm=274003249194&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

[​IMG]

Answered my own question. It appears to be a signature model and the Mohawk was a playful image.

[​IMG]

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/guitarplanet/item/gretsch_g6134t-kwp_kenny_penguin/

I like it a lot now. I just have to hit some personal milestones and I can start looking around. I'll keep it on my radar.

I can't find much information about the guitarist though.

2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Merc likes this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    A quick YouTube shows Ken Yokoyama. Kind of a 90’s melodic punk rock thing.

That’s the bad thing going on in Japan I’ve learned about. Only one shop or local store has the actual guitar in hand and you don’t know which one. Other people will repost the guitars pictures as if it’s theirs. After you buy it they then go to the one that has the guitar and try to buy it for less than the amount to make a profit. I’ve read sometimes they get back to you and refund the money as it either had already sold or they couldn’t get it for the amount they could and just say it’s sold instead. Sketchy indeed and steered me away from some hard to find guitars in Japan. I’ve seen as many as eight listings for the same guitar and pictures on eBay. I was after the USA made Fender Cyclone which was only sold in Japanese market for whatever reason. Then a couple rare Vox guitars before I bought mine.

section2 and MotorCentaur like this.
  4. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Very cool guitar!

5. milocj

milocj Electromatic

Apr 1, 2018
    MI
    You see that a lot with listings from Japan. I think there are a lot of brokers who set their own price above whatever the store/owner expects out of the sale.

Surprised they went with the B7 on a Penguin.

section2 likes this.
  6. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA

7. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    It’s a ROCK hopper penguin maybe?

[​IMG]

Merc and drmilktruck like this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Yes that crossed my mind. There was one sold recently on Reverb so I’ll look there. But I have lots of things I’m looking at so it’ll be awhile

section2 likes this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    It is a nice looking guitar

10. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Very interesting. I've only bought one guitar from Japan, so I hadn't come across this before.

The B7 is an unusual choice for a Penguin, now that you mention it. This guitar has a shallow neck set angle (note how deeply the neck pickup is set into the body), making the B7 tension roller a necessity.

I'm assuming that Gretsch wanted the shallow neck angle to improve playability on the upper frets. Me, I'd rather have the improved tuning stability and looser feel of a B3, but I suppose a BiggsFix on this B7 would offer the best of both worlds.

11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Lots of things... having a bit of serious GAS are we? ;)

12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I decided to use buying a really good guitar possibly even custom shop or boutique hand built guitar, as motivation to reach some personal goals over the next few months. I’m about a third of the way there. I’ve also been saving the money from all my sales this year to fund the purchase. The more stuff I sell or donate, the nicer guitar or guitars it can be too. So expect to see some more stuff for sale shortly.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Merc and section2 like this.
  13. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Cute. Really cute.

14. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Late to the party - I own a Penguin and live in Mohawk.

section2, drmilktruck and Merc like this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I could take out a Sharpie to the bird and some Blue spray paint for a small fee. Assuming someone has a regular penguin of course

58A4A556-A6D1-4B16-8557-27B79BC85810.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    drmilktruck likes this.
  16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Nice lookin geet,spoiled by that B7.

There's some nice Custom Shop Gretsch Penguin's out there used that look nicer.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. Manny 86

Manny 86 Electromatic

Jun 3, 2019
    Italy, Piedmont
  18. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'd put a Blue Footed Boobie on the pick guard:

[​IMG]

They're great dancers too:

Merc and section2 like this.
  19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Including a blue one on the GDP.

JC higgy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice