Penguin decisionmaking dilemma, not sure what to do

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Stefan87, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey Guys,

So i love the gretsch penguins and when i was younger have always planned on getting a matching black and white pair, ideally i wanted a white one first and then the black, but when a black one came up for a deal i couldn't pass up i grabbed it.

Now that was some years back when i had a bit more money to throw around but now am married with a 3 month old daughter (best thing ever of course) and now priorities have changed a little bit, i really can't justify buying another pro line unless i would absolutely need it, which would be never lol, so now im more looking at the guitars i have and if i truly love them enough to keep them or sell them for the ones i really want, this is were the dillema is.

Now i do love my black penguin but a matching white one has come up forsale used which i think i can get for a real good price but to buy it i would have to sell the black one, now i will be honest in saying my black penguin is more of a display/collection guitar not really a player as they are no longer in production, ive only used it about 3 times and not for long but if i had a white one it would be a playing guitar as a white penguin will always be available to buy new.

So i guess my thinking is, do i sell a guitar that is no longer in production to buy something that will always be available?
    What are the black penguins worth and are they actually a desirable guitar?

As i said i do prefer a the white over the black if i could only have one but the fact the black is no longer available to buy is what is pulling me up a bit.

I hope this post makes sense and is not just useless ramble.

GOOBALL JEFF and Penguin like this.
  2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Keep your Black Penguin and be patient : one day you'll be able to buy her matching White Penguin. ;)

Of course, I write that if your are not in urgent need of cash now... o_O

A+!

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    My 3 month old daughter is going to be 30 years old at the end of November ........ with that said ..
    I've let so many dreams go to the waist side over the years . Time has moved so quickly . How I wish I still owned that brand new Les Paul Custom I bought 35 years ago too when my mother passed away . Keep your Black Penguin before you regret it . I'm with @hcsterg on this too , be patient . One day a matching white one will come along

new6659, Stefan87, audept and 3 others like this.
  4. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Keep the one you have and be patient. Sounds like it is more of a money issue than anything. I can assure you money issues and money priorities come and go. A little patience will serve you well...guaranteed

new6659, Stefan87, section2 and 2 others like this.
  5. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I’d keep the Black Penguin too. And maybe I’d start using it as my main axe...there’s nothing that the White Penguin could do that the Black couldn’t.
    Unless you decide to sell some other guitar that you hardly use, buy the White and keep the Black! ;)

new6659, Stefan87, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Keep the black and play it, guard it closely if you gig it, or just keep it on you. If you are saving it as an investment google around and see what they are selling for, unless I knew for sure it would rise in value, I would sell it for the one I really wanted and would play. First, though pull it out and start playing it. Give it a couple of months then decide.

new6659, Stefan87, Henry and 2 others like this.
  7. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I sold my black penguin recently to buy something that i absolutely had to jump on, a once in a lifetime deal. I miss the black penguin (1 of 12 Wildwood ones) and i will probably never have it again, but im beyond delighted with what i got instead. You can get a white penguin ANY time if you have the money. Id never sell something unreplaceable for something in regular production unless you really just dont want it anymore. Im not sure why the black penguin is a display only guitar and the white would be a player though. Sounds like it just doesnt do it for you. And it probably wont do it for you if you keep it and eventually get the white one. If you dont love it then you probably wont fall in love with it when you have the white dream guitar. In which case.... sell it and make the white dream come true!

Stefan87 and Groutsch like this.
  8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Jeez keep the black penguin and PLAY IT. If you can't afford more than 1, why keep one you don't play? It's not worth keeping for investment. If that's what is important sell it and invest in vanguard mutual funds.

9. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Tricky! If it's the one down by the airport it looks like a good price. Obviously the white one appeals to you; I'd go for the swap if it's in good condition.

Stefan87 likes this.
  10. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey guys thanks for the replies, yes it is the one in sydney by the air port you said penguin, its been up for sale for awhile so not sure why it hasn't been sold.

To add to the top post, it's nothing to do with needing money or anything like that, i just can't justify with in myself right now to spend that amount of money on me for something i don't really need when my daughters and wifes needs come first thats all, so to buy something new for me would mean selling something i have.

The reason why i dont play the penguin much is because i am a bit ocd/pedantic with my things, i want to keep them looking as new as possible for as long as i can and black anything shows marks so easily and the gold as you all know does tarnish with use lol, white wears better and when it fades and goes that nice ivory colour they just look good hence why i wouldn't be so worried about wear but thats just me, stupid i know but i do have 8 other guitars to play so you know.

But again thanks for the replies and opinions, Im just one of thise people who value others opinions if i'm stuck on something myself.

audept and Henry like this.
  11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I hear you. I am conflicted on this issue, too. I want to keep my guitars in good shape, I pride myself on collecting a small amount of nice stuff, not just guitars, but using and taking care of it all.

I just bought a Martin acoustic, my most expensive guitar, and I am waiting for the first ding. Before it happens I kinda worry about it. Once I get the first ding, usually from honest play, I worry a lot less.

But really, sounds like you're not gigging, so play that darn guitar. Otherwise, what's the point of keeping it pristine, the case doesn't care. ;)

I had a buddy in law school that bought the fancy cell phone of the day. He kept it wrapped in a self made horrible plastic wrap. I asked him why, and he said so he could keep the phone looking good. I asked him if he thought his phone looked good with that janky plastic all over it. He took the plastic off.

Not quite the same but you know what I mean.

Ok rant over. You should really do whatever floats your boat.

12. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Gretschie

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok, here is a radical idea! The way interest rates are in Oz, I would get a loan and get your white jet. Just make sure the trouble-and-strife is ok with that. A couple of beers less in a week will soon pay for it!

Do not get rid of the black one - you will regret it I am sure. They are a rare bird in Oz. You will more than likely never get one in that condition again.

It is a funny (peculiar) thing about many peoples' constant desire to get something they do not have because it is new to them and when they discard what they have, later they wish they had the 'old' one back.

On the black jet, I think in time you will find it is more popular than the white IMHO. I am also of the camp that you can get Gretsch guitars cheaper herein Oz than in the US. This is based on the issue of exchange rates, import duty and getting deals with some ozzie dealers. I purchased my Blue Falcon brand new for just over $1,000AUD off the rec retail and similarly a white one. Turned out that was a much better price than I could get in the US when you took into account both the ozzie dollar and the import duty that is payable on any purchase over $1,000AUD.

Those on the forum that have a white Jet, has it changed colour to a more yellowed finish. I ask that as some of the white Falcons seem to lose that pristine white. Some believe it is the poly coat that does it while the nitro do not seem prone to this colour change.

Stefan87 and audept like this.
  13. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Something tells me that you don't enjoy the black Penguin much since you don't play it often ( conjecture on my part only by what I read in the OP). I know you are trying to take care of it but I doubt it's going to skyrocket in price anytime soon ( or not so soon). And just because it's not available now doesn't mean Gretsch won't start making them again in the future.

If you think you will be happier playing the white one, buy her.

As for selling the black one to fund the white one, you'll have to make the final decision and while we on the forum may give you something to think about, it's a decision you'll be the one that has to live with it.
    Just make sure whatever decision you make is the right one for you...

Stefan87 likes this.
  14. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Honestly, the way the market has been, there's not a huge price difference between a "case queen" and a very good condition "played" guitar. I really don't see that changing any time soon either.

Play it, take care of it, and most of all enjoy it.

That's what they were built for.

Stefan87 likes this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You have to be really clear in your own mind between what you think you want to do and what you think you should do. Make your decision and don't harbor any regrets.

Stefan87 likes this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'm a practical realist.
    I say if you're not playing any guitar sell it ...... unless it's a financial investment.

Guitars are made to play and enjoy not sit around as decorative collectors items imo.

In Aust you'll get many $1000s for your black Penguin on Ebay or Gumtree.
    I can't see how the black P is a major investment opportunity and can you afford to have a big thing taking up space if you're not even playing it.

So send it to a good home where it'll be played and enjoyed I say.
    At some time in future you'll be able to fulfill your dream but then I hope you'll play the bloody things :)

Stefan87 and Bertotti like this.
  17. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks again for more comments, to be honest if the white one hadnt come up second hand i really wouldn't even be contemplating selling the black one, and to clear things up i didnt buy it as an investment or anything like that and dont think it will be a collectors item in the future and all that, again just more that i am very precious with it because of what it is.

As i said its good to get opinions as sometimes we get stuck in our own head so will have a think and go from there.

If i was to sell it though i dont have any idea what to put on it, any recommendations?

18. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Have you discussed this with your wife? If money is not the issue, and she’s cool with your music quest, get the white Falcon. In a year you’ll have a guitar you love and you won’t miss the money. Don’t sell the black one. As others have noted, you will regret it.

I have sold instruments I thought I wouldn’t miss to buy something I thought I just had to have, and it took me a couple times to realize that was not a good way for me to go, because I always have regrets.

Stefan87 likes this.
  19. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    a white penguin is my absolute dream guitar! there is no guitar nicer than this... gretsch-g6134-white-penguin-312041.jpg

r0de0, Stefan87, Jeff67 and 1 other person like this.
  20. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    sell the black one! do it!

Stefan87 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice