Penguin buzz

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by m_n_b, Feb 19, 2020.

1. m_n_b

m_n_b Electromatic

Feb 29, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    I’ve owned two Penguins and both have this problem. It’s not a loose screw, bridge rattle (Compton), etc. best way to repro is to solidly hit all 6 string harmonics at the 12th fret.

I’ve tried touching various part to isolate it and moving the bride slightly sometimes helps. I use a solid brass Compton, so it’s not that. I suspect the pins the wood mount sits on are the cause. There is no way to access the underside of that, though.

has anyone experienced and/or resolved this? My White Falcon does not have the problem, but both Midnight Sapphire 20115 Penguins I’ve had do. Bought a 2nd hoping the first one was a one off issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. Or if you folks know of a Gretsch expert to go to in the San Jose, CA area, that would be great, too.

2. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I have that issue on my G6134. It never goes away. Drove me nuts. I also had issues with sustain dying to quickly.
    I think it might be a resonance issue with the chambered body.

The only thing that helped to minimize both the rattle and sustain issue was getting rid of the Dynasonics. Those magnets are just WAY. TO. STRONG.

I dunno what kind of pups you got in there now but I have TVJ FTs and theres still a rattle. Luckly, it doesn't come thru the amp.

3. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry to hear this; my 2011 Penguin does not rattle or buzz, so it's not intrinsic to the model.
    Hope you get it to fix it soon!
    Peng

4. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Through an amp, or unamplified?

5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Did you check to see if the truss rod has any tension on it? Sometimes a slack truss rod will cause a rattle or buzz from within the neck itself.

6. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Hmmm.... interesting idea...

7. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I have a Midnight Sapphire Penguin and don't experience this problem. I suppose a good luthier will be able to determine the cause.

8. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Junk. Great job Gretsch.

Listen, just send me the guitar and I’ll dispose of it for you. I’m sorry this happened. PM mr for my address, and better luck next time. I’ve had good luck with PRS....?

Merc and Lister like this.
  9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Had a quick look at mine this morning before leaving for work, couldn't hear anything with mine, no rattles or buzzes and haven't set it up yet.
    I kinda go with the whole if the buzz/rattle doesn't come through the amp then I don't worry about it.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I had that problem three times with my Broadway Jade Penguin the first was a string size change went from stock to ti12 jazz swings. Put in a truarc cut for my string sizes and it went away. Before that I was trying NYXL and one of them would start to buzz on the windings over time. Finding that one drove me nuts and it happened twice. The TI and truarc have worked wonderfully so far. Have you changed string sizes lately?

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I have experienced a buzzing noise on one of my guitars that took me hours to detect. In the end it originated from the electric department where a ground- cable resonated against some thin plastic. So maybe you want to check this, too

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Oh yea, I have had that happen as well but on a Strat, good idea.

13. m_n_b

m_n_b Electromatic

Feb 29, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    No string changes and this is an acoustic issue that happens unplugged.

it is most noticeable and easy to reproduce using the harmonic strum, but it affects the tone playing single note lines and chords. It is intermittent. I suspect the pins under the bridge because sometimes wiggling the wood piece the teeny bit that it moves will clear things up for a min or two.

14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I have annoying buzz on my Filter-Tron Falcon that seems to be coming from the selector switch,when i hear it i grab the switch and it stops.Can only hear it unplugged.

15. m_n_b

m_n_b Electromatic

Feb 29, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    I have checked the switches, jack, pick guard, pickups, Bigsby, pretty much anything they can possibly move.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice