Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Peerless Tonemaster JH special: some cool guitar and playing:)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by MBERTHOLD, Jul 1, 2016.

1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC

Korean built Samick JZ's are gorgeous and can be had for $300 or less if you search.

I almost bought one a while back for $250 with a case, but just didn't pull the trigger... I dont know if I could have tamed the feedback at the gain levels I play at, so I opted out.

I am still so drawn to big blonde jazz boxes!

MBERTHOLD likes this.
  2. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    You gotta love a curvy blonde.

MTurner and larryb like this.
  3. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Thats a real Fatttty;)

larryb likes this.
  4. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I believe that's actually the Chet Leg.

Rob Williams, larryb and MBERTHOLD like this.
  5. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    I have the Zephyr Blues Deluxe which is really lovely - I have a thing for P-90's! I've sold my soul for 1957 ES-5 Switchmaster, but won't pick that up for a while yet, until I've managed to pay it off! :)

Funny thing is - over the last couple of days I've had a hankering for a Wizard Custom with that lovely violin finish - there were three on eBay UK, so I put in a bid and won it earlier. I'm looking forward to hearing the triple P-90's on a thinner body.

My ZBD is Peerless built as were my Regents and Broadway, and I also had a Monarch, and am impressed with the overall quality of Peerless guiars.

6. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Peerless does make nice beautiful guitars. So does Samick for that matter but Samick has never made guitars for Gretsch. The company they went to is SPG. They are to Samick what Heritage is to Gibson. Former Samick workers banded together and formed SPG and they are considered to be the top or near the top of the consumer Korean brands. In addition to the Electromatic hollow bodies and semi-hollows, they make some of the Newark Street Guilds (again I think it is the hollow and semi-hollows) as well as D'Angelico. At one time they made some upscale guitars for Samick but they are not part of the company.

7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    20171114_175527.jpg
    Samick makes lots of Gretsch guitars, my 5120 is one, most 5420 i've seen are also from there.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. Rob Williams

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Really? Samick does do some Gretschs? I didn't think they did. Thanks for the heads up on Samick/SPG, I'll look into that. I have a Samick 335 that is as good as any epi that I got for $250AUD....which when converted to the guitar market in the rest of the world is about $2USD lol.

Here you go: http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/SPG_Musical_Instruments_Co.

9. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    Old thread but still relative :)

Peerless are remarkably unappreciated even here in the country of origin, where the used market is loaded with some amazing deals. I've seen Manhattans and Monarchs go for under $500, Jazz city and New York models for a hair over $300, Leelas and Cremonas for as low as $900(!), and just last month someone moved a 3-pickup Wizard like the one posted earlier for just $400.

It's all great news for young kids studying hard to enter jazz schools here with a decent guitar in their hands, and am glad they're around and quite abundant.

10. Rob Williams

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    That's cool - They cost a mint here IF you can find one!

Ando likes this.