Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Peerless Tonemaster JH special: some cool guitar and playing:)

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by MBERTHOLD, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I had the Gigmaster295 copy. Very well made, but a recent price hike across the board has made them less attractive. I fancy the Wizard Custom, but if only they were blonde.

2. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

I was also thinkin about the wood bridge, normally Id suspect that the bigsby use would cause the strings to dig/saw themselves deeper in the slots.. never seen that before. However I like wood briges I got one on my Loar LH309

wildeman likes this.
  3. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Yeah but still compared to Es295 I could think of owning one. The finish looks very gold ish,:)

4. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    Great stuff, congrats on your purchase!

I've bought and sold a good number of them over the years (fickle me!), there being a lot of them on the used market going for really cheap. All in all they're really nice guitars, very clean construction and playability.

By far I miss the Manhattan I had for a while, strung up with 11-52 flats and sounding both warm and absolutely huge. A kid at my company learning jazz wanted to buy it badly, so I sold it to him for the bargain I paid...The equivalent of a paltry $550.

[​IMG]

Monarchs and slightly more gaudy Jazz City models can also be found around that price range as well, and a wee bit more for Imperials... Come to think of it, I really should get another Manhattan...maybe save up for the soft-maple carved top(!) Cremona or the lovely, slightly smaller Leela (As shown below), either of which remarkably can go as low as $1000 on the used market.

[​IMG]

5. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Wow, yeah I have been looking at those also, I dig them one pickup guitars:), does the manhattan have a floating pickup?
    I only posted those pics and some video from Youtube, not my guitar, but Id love one:)
    They seem to have alot of great guitar, Peerless!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Ando likes this.
  6. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

That natural manhattan got a real headstock!!

Ando likes this.
  7. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    Haha oops, it seems I got excited and a bit ahead of myself ;) And indeed, the Manhattan's pickup juts right out of the fretboard.

The JH Special as posted also reminds me of the relatively unknown TPL40Rc-FM-WMT (I don't think it has a more specific "name" among Peerless Tonemasters, which I've seen it designated as) that almost never pops up over here...This one recently sold for roughly $475.

[​IMG]

MBERTHOLD likes this.
  8. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    Yeah, it's so big (look at how narrow the nut looks in comparison), one might assume it would incur serious neckdive.

[​IMG]

Ricochet and MBERTHOLD like this.
  9. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Wow that one looks killer!!!!
    Gotta check em out also,:)

Ando likes this.
  10. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Wow! Very nice shape

Ando likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    They look sensational Ando. Crazy prices...I may have to book a trip to Korea some day!

Ando likes this.
  12. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Two of my Gretsches & 3 of my Epiphones are Peerless & they're excellent guitars which have gotten a lot of use over the years. Love those Peerless, though I have to say, a recent Eastman archtop has outclassed everything else in my collection.

MBERTHOLD likes this.
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    They need to make a blonde 2 pickup P-90 version,without Bigsby,then i'll be getting my wallet out....again.

MBERTHOLD likes this.
  14. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

That would be great Jc:)

15. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I wish there where more guitar makers making a budget L-5 style with P-90s out there,i did find this ES 350 style made in Japan while googling called an Archtop Tribute and it looks fabulous!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Man, that thing looks awesome! You gettin it?

17. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    I had a peerless SC that I sold to a forum member. Great guitar and more than once I've regretted selling it. But you know how it is. The triple p90 is way cool. I looked around for ages for an Epiphone Zephyr with no luck. I've converted my 6120 to triple pickups and never find the middle one getting in the way. I've also got an Epiphone Broadway (which the Zephyr is based on) which may get the 3xP90 treatment one day. Another I tried was the Dean Palomino but the scale felt really short to me.

As for that 1st video, my mind blew when he changed to fingertapping the melody while still running the bass with his left hand. I'm going outside now to throw my guitars on a fire......

18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Either that or the Guild X175
    ;)

19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Because the only thing better than a blonde with 2 dog-eared P90's is one with 3!
    :cool::cool::cool:

MBERTHOLD likes this.
  20. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC

Still fantasizing!!!!!