Pedals

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by Rockabilly55, May 16, 2018.

1. Rockabilly55

Rockabilly55 Electromatic

Mar 20, 2018
    Hockley, TX
    As a beginner with saucer eyes, I went on a pedal spree without knowing what the heck I was buying. I bought an Atomic Brain off one of the other Gretschies here, I am patiently waiting for it to arrive. This is the first pedal bought with a clue. So as I practice just playing, I thought I would check these pedals out one by one. First up, A Voodoo Octave by Joyo. Any information on this pedal would be appreciated, even a keep or trade suggestion.

2. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    The Atomic Brain will not disappoint. For most of us, once you turn it on, it stays on.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The KISS principle is always in effect. Master the instrument before you get too involved in add on technology. The Brain, however, is highly rated by most here.

4. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    An octive pedal is a strange creature. Think Hendrix, Prince. If thats the tone your after go for it. I would suggest a delay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5. Rockabilly55

Mar 20, 2018
    Hockley, TX
    The Atomic Brain is the first pedal I bought with a clue, albeit a small clue. I pay attention to what I read here. I am crazy with anticipation for it to show up. Rockabilly & Rock, Setzer and the Scorpions are probably my top two influences.

Gretschman2 likes this.
  6. Rockabilly55

Mar 20, 2018
    Hockley, TX
    But GAS ya know.

MTurner likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yeah, I get it. They haven't come up with Beano or Digel for guitar gas yet.

Rockabilly55 likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Joyo Voodoo octave. Looks to be an update to the Ultimate octave, which is a a clone of the Fulltone, which is a clone of the Foxx tone machine.

Unfortunately the original Joyo(haha) was flawed, 2 caps got reversed, and some pots have the wrong value IIRC. Hopefully the name change indicates a correction of the pcb. Good pedal, if it has the correction.

I love the octave effect, I'm using the EHX Pitchfork which can be a bit un-natural sounding on extreme settings but really, 3 octaves up or down is sounding weird to someone?

9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm havin lot's of fun with my EHX Small Clone chorus, and ive never been a huge chorus fan.

10. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    If you're new at it Joyo, are awesome pedals. Great bang for the buck. You are in tall cotton with a brain coming your way, but it's not a complete sound changer, more of an "enhancer".

Pdnlegs likes this.
  11. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Brain is my favorite pedal, of all i've owned, and always on, as stated above.

12. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    Gas can get really expensive. Just my 2 cents - First, don't buy cheap pedals just because they are cheap. You're better off with a few great pedals than a bunch of ho-hum pedals. Second, really think about how you are going to use a pedal before you buy it - what songs are you going to play it on, where in the pedal chain will it go, most importantly - what does this pedal do that none of your other pedals do. If you ask yourself these questions before you buy, you'll save a ton of money and you won't wind up with a drawer full of pedals that you never use.

Chmason85 and Rockabilly55 like this.
  13. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Do you have Reverb and Tremelo on your amp?
    I can recommend the Joyo Tremelo. If you need a Reverb I suggest you save up for a high quality one.
    A delay would be nice. Boss DD3 for digital, there’s too many analog ones to mention.

14. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Plus one on the EHX Small Clone. The Belcat Tremolo is nice too, bargain priced on Amazon.

15. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I put my rig together based on not wanting lots of pedals. I knew I wanted OD, reverb, and tremolo, Vox AC covered all of that with the amp. I love delay and use it all the time, so I got an Aqua Puss for that, I love it, and just for some added boost I keep an EHX soul food around, but I will admit I'm on the hunt for a much better overdrive, the Barber "Gain Changer" has certainly piqued my interest, or the Paul Cochrane "Timmy."

wabash slim and BorderRadio like this.
  16. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    If your looking for Pedal Suggestions my current favorite pedal is the Keeley Germanium Super Phat Mod.

17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned a Wah o_O

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

18. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Well, since you mentioned it, my Fulltone Clyde Deluxe is the best wawa i've ever owned.

19. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    If I had to, I could pare it down to two pedals - a good OD and a good delay.
    My current choices are the Wampler Tumnus and the TC Electronic Alter Ego 2.

20. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Good call. I've actually been using mine much more lately, and I'm slowly getting abetted Ryan of it.

My 2 need pedals are mystery brain and compressor, and I really like trem. My other couple pedals are light to medium overdrive.