Pedal chain advice...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by sh4rkbyt3, Apr 14, 2019.

1. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Picked up a new Boss BCB-60 Pedalboard, not the one I wanted but GC didn't have the Pedaltrain model I wanted in stock so I made due for the time being.
    Here are the list of pedals I'll be using, in what order would someone recommend connecting them and why? Trying to learn as I go so thank you for your time and opinion.

1) Boss BF-2 Flanger
    2) Boss DM-2 Delay
    3) Boss DM-2w Delay WazaCraft
    4) Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
    5) Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
    6) Polytune 3

Practicing on a BlackStar ID Core 10 amp.

Playing through a Gretsch G7593T-BD

2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Tuner goes first ..... sorry , that's all I got

3. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
  4. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    +1 on the tuner being first in the chain (plus it can act as a mute switch in a live situation). Very opinionated topic although there are some key considerations. Do you have an effects loop on your amp? For starters, that'd be a great place for the delay pedal. Also, why 2 of the same delays? I know there's slight differences with the Boss Waza Craft models but curious why you would have both on the same board?

thunder58 and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Guitar>cable>amp.

BOBP, vyndance, Robbie and 4 others like this.
  6. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Any help is appreciated :) Thank you.

rob batz and thunder58 like this.
  7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    This is the order I'd start with as well.

Benturner83 and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    That’s pretty much how I would do it. I would likely put the flanger before the chorus; especially if it’s a stereo chorus and that would be cool for running a two amp set-up with separate delays.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  9. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Effects loop per say? I have some settings on my amp that might qualify as that but it's only a small amp. The reason for the double delay is I'm trying to get that Billy Duffy sound for which he uses two delays with different timing as well as his flanger pedal and a little overdrive.
    The chorus is in lieu of a Roland JC120 which is out of the question since I live in an apartment and is a substitute (sort of) until I can get a Roland JC40 which may or may not (likely) give me as much chorus echo sound as the 120. And of course just a touch of Overdrive.

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Why not order the pedal train online? It will arrive soon and you wont have wasted time and money on a temp.

11. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    I think most Blackstars have effects loops - run your modulation pedals (ie flanger, chorus and delay) all through the loop.

OD / dirt through the preaamp

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  12. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Agree with this.

Those are all buffered pedals (the poly tune is switchable, I think) so that makes things simpler. Guitar cable goes to the Polytune input. Polytune out goes to Boss OD input.

If using an effects loop, send the output signal from the OD pedal to the amp’s guitar input. If your amp has a clean channel and an overdrive channel, but you plan to use the Boss for all of your overdrive tones, then use the clean channel and keep the amp’s preamp volume lower. Connect the Send signal from the amp’s effects loop to the input of the Boss chorus pedal, then connect the remaining pedals in series and send the WazaCraft out to the amp’s effects return.

If no effects loop, then connect all the pedals in series, with the guitar cable going into the Polytune and another cable from the WazaCraft output to the amp’s clean channel input. Keep the clean channel volume as low as you can to prevent the preamp from going into overdrive and messing up your sound.

The only thing I didn’t quite get was the intent of having two different delays. If you’re planning to run them one at a time, then you’re good to go. If you want to run two at the same time you’re going to need more gear and possibly even another amp. The delays will need to be connected in parallel. There are many different ways of doing this, such as with splitters, buffers and ABY boxes. It will depend on your budget and preferences.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I have this amp and I think it's as good as a 120. Great amp and comes with a head phone jack so you can keep peace with the neighbors . But I do think you're right about the chorus . It's a great chorus effect but it's just not enough for me ( I'm a chorus freak too ) .....I've been eyeballing the TrueTone Visual Sound H2O Chorus Pedal if that helps

rob batz and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  14. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    I agree with 654123

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Age before beauty, pearls before swines.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    No ; you need a wah-wah... :eek::confused::D

A+!

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My amp has reverb and trem. I'm all set.

rob batz, hcsterg and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Although there are general rules how to chain effects/put them in the loop of an amp there are many brilliant sounding reasons to break these rules.
    I would try out every combination thinkable and decide then.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  19. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Yeppers.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  20. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Hahaha I already have a Dunlop Q595 ;)

hcsterg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice