Pedal boards

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Parttime, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Parttime

Parttime Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I like the retro look of the danelectro’s

Jet_streamliner, manunk and ruger9 like this.
  2. Parttime

Parttime Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I’m not really a stomper. I like to dial in from song to song without squatting down.

Merc likes this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I loved my old Dan-Echo, but those pedals do suck some tone unfortunately. Still, if the Dan-Echo had warble, I likely would have kept it.

I also owned the Dano Reel Echo, twice, and it did not live up to expectations (preferred the Dan-Echo, even w/o warle)

Parttime likes this.
  4. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I don't have many pedals, and the SDRUM is only there for recording. The only other pedal I plan on getting is the Keeley Memphis Sun. For what I do stylewise, I don't need much more.

rps20190315_091056.jpg

5. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    "...and I should be done."

Ahhh...those magic words! I've said them a thousand times as I hit the "Buy It Now" button on a new pedal...:D

ruger9 likes this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I commiserate, brother!!! but I'm ... tired. I've done the pedal thing now for a dozen years, and it's been fun, but I sure would like to settle down with my pedals, and concentrate more on the playing. Of course there will always be something new to try, but I'd like to be done "looking for the next one".

Merc likes this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I have a bunch of pedals and a pedalboard, OK... But I do not use it too much now, preferring standalone units.

Here's the one that I use the most these times : my DIY SMOBY Wah/Overdrive/Distortion, built in the casing of an original empty foXX pedal :

[​IMG]

SMOBY is the name of a well-known French manufacturer of multicolored children toys... The Sax Baryton player in my band said "hey, what's that SMOBY pedal ?" seeing it for the 1st time, so I give it that name, finding a SMOBY original pin to put on... :D

A+!

Wozob, rockinforJesus, Merc and 5 others like this.
  8. Parttime

Parttime Electromatic

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I have a Dan Echo I bought in the 90’s but it will only do one repeat for some reason.
    Just old I guess.

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    That's what all the buffers are there for, 2 on every board at input and output.

Parttime likes this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Here's mine.
    Board 1. Fulltone 2B, Morley JD10, Supro Drive, Malekko Spring Chicken, Hardwire tremolo,Hardwire delay, Keeley Memphis Sun and a Boss RC2 looper. 20190315_210336-1.jpg 20190315_210415.jpg Board 2. Red Witch Fuzzgod 2, Mahoney Fuzztite, Rat clone, Nocturne Atomic Brain, Boss OC3, EQD Hummingbird, Ibanez AD9, Keeley Mag Echo. 20190315_210546-1.jpg Soon to be Board 3. Love Fuzz, TomSline Firecream (Big Muff), Fulltone '70 fuzz, TomSline Dumbler OD, Fulltone Full drive 2, Malekko Trem. 20190315_210800-1.jpg I also have a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe WaWa. These pedals are on FIX aluminum boards with FIX risers, top quality stuff! Board 3 will be a FIX too.

11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Yep, they make a huge difference. I even use on in the middle of my board. Scoff if you wish, :) but I’ve seen 6 DB just by placing a buffered pedal between two true bypass pedals.

Parttime, ruger9 and audept like this.
  12. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    This used to be my pedalboard:
    [​IMG]

But it was bigger than some of the stages we were playing on, so I cut it back a bit. Actually, it's in several pieces now, The synth is on its own board, the GP-10 is on its own board with only a TU3s tuner and a Quilter InterBlock, most of the pedals went to the Rackabilly, and there's a Pedaltrain 2 with a second GP-10, another Atomic Brain, and a couple of the pedals shown above. Then there's the VG-99:
    [​IMG]
    That one's kind of in a class by itself.

13. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Buffers can be very helpful. I have a dedicated one that I'll never sell, but I also haven't used it in awhile, because several of my pedals are either buffered already (klone) or have a switchable buffer if I want (TC Alter Ego v2)... so I usually don't need a dedicated one.

And sometimes, I like the treble roll-off of NOT having one, especially with Fender/blackface amps.... it can be a tone tool in itself.

The buffer I keep on the shelf is the Radial PB-1 Power Booster, I never use the boost (altho it IS great for goosing overdrives), because it has their "drag" control, which is essentially a tone control (it's not- but that's the easy way to explain it), it allows you to control the high end so you don't get TOO much... a buffer can actually make your base tone brighter than "normal" (guitar-cord-amp), and I NEVER want that.

Parttime likes this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Right with you on that. I have a patch for each song on the Blue Nebula and a couple of other pedals for specific uses, such as the Catalinbread Topanga for Surf reverb, but I don’t, as a rule, make any changes during a song. I never use overdrive, so there’s no need to kick in an OD pedal for the solo, so I choose my patch and go for it.

Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote: “Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world, I’ve done it hundreds of times.” :)

Both of my boards are made by Temple Audio, and they sell a dual buffer which mounts to the side panel of their boards. Below is a picture of both it, and my cat, Lynn, who thinks she should be photographically represented at all opportunities. :)

Anyhow, it’s a clever gadget and Temple’s gear tends to be good. I use it to condition the incoming signal from the 15’ patch cable I use between the guitar and the board, and to present a nice, low impedance interface to the 10’ cable going to the amp. As it sits, right now, the first and second pedal on my board are true bypass. I use a Truetone buffer between them, and the last pedal on the board is my Topanga, in buffered mode.

I have experimented, in the past and found that inserting a buffer between two true bypass pedals made a significant difference in signal strength, so I’m a believer. Buffers won’t hurt sound quality, assuming that they are of decent quality, so there’s little to lose, except some money. :)

The second photo is my board, one iteration back. The Blue Nebula is a bit tricky when it comes to bypass, so I make sure it’s feeding into, and is fed by, a buffer. Actually, I think I will write a null patch for it so I can keep it in the circuit, even when I’m not using it. There’s a JFET preamp on it that I keep at unity gain, so while it’s not buffered in bypass, it’s not harming the signal if it’s engaged.

Since that photo of my board, the Tremolo pedal has been removed and the Siamese Cat switch, which controls the tremolo on my Winfield Tremor amp, has been moved to the bottom of the board. I may, at some point, buy either a Strymon Flint or a Keeley Verb-O-Trem Workstation to combine Reverb and Tremolo into one unit, and still allow room for the Siamese Cat themed switch which controls the Tremor amp. That way the board can provide tremolo for my other amps and be ready to go when I plug into the Tremor. That solution is also Siamese Cat Approved, which is exceptionally important in this household. :)

1A8EBCB7-3227-4F8F-895B-4BA32866EA5D.jpeg

15. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I’ve gotta get me one of them cat pedals, they look very fursatile.

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes ! That's another reason why I do not take pedal boards anymore on stage. In my personal case :
    - with 20 to 40 musicians, you'll never know if you will have enough room for you and your gear.
    - a brass player hasn't the capacity to make a difference between a pedalboard and a mat.
    - everybody runs everywhere, the stage looks like the metro at rush hours by moments.

With its red color, big size and die-cast casing, my heavy duty SMOBY pedal has some chances to be visible and abuse-resistant... I'm even thinking adding a beacon on it... :D

A+!

Parttime likes this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I have two of them, one latching, the other momentary. Being in a feline-dominated home, I just couldn't resist.

18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    You're lucky ! At the tiniest string pluck, even acoustic, all the cats at home ran away... :confused::rolleyes:

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice