Pedal board

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by mbkri, Sep 16, 2017.

1. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Why oh why are pedal boards so expensive? Really.
    I have everything crammed into a soft Roadrunner pedalboard case but its not big enough and I want something more sturdy. But i have a hard time wanting to spend $$$$ on something that doesnt make any noise, especially as im saving up for a Mystery Brain.
    Im going to end up making my own im sure, unless someone can help me understand why they are so expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

It IS an annoying expense, I agree. Do you gig out or transport your gear? That's when pro boards are a good thing. Otherwise? Just make one.

How many effects are you running?

I'll give you a quick easy do it yourself remedy. Go find an inexpensive kitchen cutting board that is sized to your desires. Cover it in Velcro. Done. Most even have a handle, which is great for picking up etc.

MTurner, CatTones and zebulon like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    agreed .... pricy
    I once did a thread once as to " why are pedalboards always on the floor " ? Every time you want to adjust your sound you need to bend over , have the guitar swinging in the breeze ..... very attractive .
    You should build a pedal " table "

mbkri likes this.
  4. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    But i have a hard time wanting to spend $$$$ on something that doesnt make any noise, especially as im saving up for a Mystery Brain.

this is part of it. power supply hub that's quiet is worth it. proper engineering is worth it. weigth relief, organization, secure mounting, professional looking, when you show up to a jam or gig, people see that sort of thing. faster set up time.

however I've seen nice homemade ones, depends on how much is your time worth?

mbkri likes this.
  5. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I play and rehearse out (less often than i used to but i want that to change) and i have more pedals than fit in my sons Roadrunner case . In addition to the ones in the photo theres a Mystery Brain in my future, and the footpedal for the Vox. The Blackstar footpedal is on its way out the door along with the Amp attached to it.[​IMG]

6. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    I use this to reach:
    [​IMG]

CatTones, thunder58 and mbkri like this.
  7. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Nice idea Thunder58 but I cant see me getting my foot up on the table to hit the pedal being a very attractive proposition either!!!!
    I often use the footswitches during a passage of play, but seldom tweak the settings during a whole set so the floor is the best place for me. Though back in the 90s i had a rack chorus and echo effect with remote footswitch that was phenomenal.

thunder58 likes this.
  8. GuitarJunkie

GuitarJunkie Gretschie

Feb 22, 2016
    Georgia
    I bought all the materials to build a really sweet custom pedalboard and even started a build thread on here, then realized I didn't have time and ended up buying one.

How big a one u want?

mbkri likes this.
  9. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    I know this is sensitive subject but, I think its time to get you on a pedal diet, you got the brain coming, sometimes less is more. lol.

clear board pedal board = clear mind
    that pedal bag is a hot mess, you spend half your time dialing up tone and switching, losing tone from long signal chain, hard to trouble shoot. Now I'm not telling you what to do, but I am a recovering tone chaser as well, and its truly freeing to just run simple and free.

CatTones and mbkri like this.
  10. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Ha! You sound like me teaching my undergrads! Thank you! Its good to hear wisdom and sometimes we cant see the wood for the trees. My time alone makes the purchase well worth it and the 'presentation' of a work by a professional and serious artist is of great value to the viewer (audience). I teach painting in an art school and i talk about this stuff all the time to my seniors. Thanks for reminding me Zebulon! As for all the power supply stuff, i confess i have no idea what that all means. I just run everything off a One Spot series power supply, which seems fine, but perhaps im missing something.

Henry and zebulon like this.
  11. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    See pic earlier in the thread and imagine another double size unit to be added. Actually if they are all on the same level id prefer them all strung out in a line. I find the back row difficult to get to.

12. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Again Zebulon you are preaching my painting sermon! You are right. I keep my Vox at my painting studio and have no effects there at all except onboard reverb and tremolo. And i write most of my stuff there, with a clear mind and a great clear signal.
    Im thinking the mystery brain may well kick a couple of these boxes out of commission. The Seraphim reverb is a keeper though.

zebulon likes this.
  13. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Country Gent

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    If you want a nice quiet power supply, no they ain't cheap.

I have enough electronics knowledge to build my own from scratch, and I have in fact done so a couple of times. But to make one that's road-rugged, meets safety standards, and isn't stupidly large - well that's why I buy a decent quality pre-built one!

zebulon and mbkri like this.
  14. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    I went to art school many moons ago. I learned that once you start making it as a living you have to sacrifice creative growth with paying bills and making the client happy..... yawn. didn't wanna paint romance novels for rest of my life. the selling out paradigm, crossroads.

mbkri likes this.
  15. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    I always remember a story about the painter frank frazetta and how he was so poor he only had a limited pallet of burnt umber and a few other colors. with an impending deadline, painted with what he had and it conveyed so much more emotion. I try to remember this lesson.
    [​IMG]

mbkri likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I agree with everything @zebulon said. Map out your pedals and the power needs then keep an eye out on Craig's list or search reverb for the right board and power supply. The board especially can be bought used with little risk.

mbkri and zebulon like this.
  17. GuitarJunkie

GuitarJunkie Gretschie

Feb 22, 2016
    Georgia
    I'm trying to help a couple of buddies put together a couple smaller boards and get away from their modeling units like I recently did, the best deals I found were the PT Nano and Nano Plus...don't know if even the Plus would be enough room for you though.

I'm running by board with about 8-9 pedals with a 1-Spot for the time being. No issues whatsoever but I will probably get one of the 1-Spot Pro isolated power supplies before too long.

rockinforJesus and mbkri like this.
  18. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Ahh Frank! He's still inspiring young illustrators and comes up often in my class discussions.

19. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I want one .....

20. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    I've only had pedals (3) for one week and I'm already thinking they don't belong on the floor

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice