Peavey Classic

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by noelweller, Jan 3, 2009.

1. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Anyone know what ciruit this amp is based on?

You know you can say some amps are 5E3 etc....

I am just wondering.

2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    It's not really based on anything.

People tend to lump it in with the Vox AC15/AC30 since it uses EL84 power tubes, but it's not even loosely like a Vox.

The 50 watt versions are even further from Vox's in sound and design.

Looking at the preamp circuit it's not exactly Marshall nor Fender.

I love the Peavey Classic amps. I used to own 3 of em before I started building my own amps. Great sound, reliable, and affordable.

My band used to have a guy spitting fire behind us onstage, a few times the Bacardi 151 soaked into his system a bit and he blew fire at the back of my amp, soaking it with unused 151. That thing started to wig out, but the next day (and years after that) it was fine.

3. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Man I am glad you are here..

That was all mumbo jumbo to me..

I am really falling in love with them. I am watching a friends Delta Blues.. and that thing sounds great with a Gretsch...

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    A friend of mine has a Peavey Delta Blues, basically a Classic 30 if I'm not mistaken. It's a very good, very solid amp and the 1x15" speaker arrangement really gives it some depth.

5. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Syncho you are right. It is the same basic circiut from what I am told.. All I can say is I was jaming to some stuff. and it really has a great tone. He might not get it back.. HEHEHE

6. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I think the only difference is the DB has a built in tremelo. I had one and maybe I should have kept it but I got the Fargen out of the deal so I'm happy. If you check out the PV forum there's a pretty sizable list of mods much like BillM's mods for the BJr.

7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    When I played my buddy's DB I was blown away. It has a very clear but warm sound played clean. I think it's perfect for an early '60s sound.

I know that some sort of truss to stabilize the power tubes is almost a must.

8. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    The deal is done, he is not getting it back.. Happy late B day to me....

9. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I give you three weeks before you're looking for another amp ;)

10. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    3 weeks try 3 hours.. LOL...

just kidding

11. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    Mine was a newer one and they seemed to have a fix on that. I didn't have any problem but there were problems in that area! There was some sort of contraption being sold on the bay that mounted on the chassis then you pulled the springs out and over the tubes there were two bars that were supposed to keep the tubes from rattling like they did. If you look on the back of the amp and there's a black metal screen covering the bottom portion of the chassis you don't have to worry about it. I can only hope that amp gets better with the better then stock tubes.

12. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Dude, that's rude!

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Face it, for many of us that would be a long time to stay in love with one amp.

EL-84s seem to like that sort of thing anyhow. They are great sounding tubes but you are pushing a lot of current (relatively speaking) out of some pretty small bottles.

14. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    If you look very close when you first fire up the amp you can witness the lil' mini plutonium rods being lowered into the coolant.

15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I could believe it. They are some seriously good sounding little fire-bottles in the right circuit.

Yesterday a friend came over and we played for several hours. He was plugged into my modified Blues Junior and I played bass through my Twin head plugged into a bass cab. That little BJr made some seriously good sounds and the Twin is fine as a bass amp as long as it's plugged into a bass speaker cab.

16. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    FWIW Paul Yandell digs these amps, although I think he prefers a different speaker in 'em.

17. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Really?

18. brian blaut

brian blaut Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I likey the classic 50 410. The classic 30 with the 12" didn't do it for me. For me, I like clean headroom and I seem to favor multiple speakers. -Although I did play through a 15 that was really something!

I think of the classic 50 as very clean, but shy of the Fender Clean. The dirt is throaty and thick, but shy of the Vox dirt. Its a good all purpose amp, in the middle. Jack of all trades, master of none. If I had to have ONE amp to cover all bases (which I do) that is what I would choose (chose).

If money grew on trees and I could specialize to cover all bases, I'd own a Fender Twin, an AC30, Deluxe Reverb and an AC15, and a Bassman, for starters. I'd also dress better and take manners courses so I could learn to hold a fork properly and stop embarrassing my wife at restaurants.

19. getbent

getbent Super Moderator

Jun 1, 2008
    sunny california
    it would be kind of fun to find an old 70's classic with the 410's... and play a t60 with the phaser set on stun... ahhh the old days!

I think brian's assessment of the old classics is on the money.... workhorses... not fancy... and consistent... hartley probably ought to get some praise for just making tools for the everyday musician.... except for the backstage 30 which might be among the fartiest amps I've ever heard (or owned)...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice