Paul Burlison VS Grady Martin

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by dburlison, Jul 31, 2010.

1. dburlison

dburlison Electromatic

Jul 30, 2010
    memphis
    P. Burlison's son here..A lot of commentary these days on who played the lead guitar on the Johnny Burnette trio classic..No doubt P. Burlison played on the NY cuts early 1956..

The question is..what about the Nashville sessions..First and foremost..my dad, P. Burlison never said in any interview that Grady martin did not play on the Nashville cuts..his name is on the credits..

Who played the fuzz/ distortion guitar on "Train Kept Rollin" and " Honey Hush"..My dad has claimed he played the distortion/ fuzz octaves on these classics..Created by a loose tube and some creative engineering at the studio..Like the similar distortion on Ike Turner's "Rocket 88"..also caused by a--"loose faulty fender amp"...

The fuzz/distortion on the Trio's classics is unique and very novel for 1956..

"Train Kept Rollin"..just listen to this song..you will clearly hear two guitars..
    GM playing some classic licks..but the distortion is simple octaves with a fuzz/distortion unique at the time..very appropriate for the song..

The distortion sound heard on "Train" and "Honey Hush are unique to the Trio..and you will(in all honesty) never find a song where Grady Martin creates "the fuzz/distortion unique to the Trio's..and don't reference" When My Dreamboat Comes Home"..it is not there..and actually no where in GM recordings..GM own web pages say his first Fuzz was 1961..nothing like the Trio's..

Grady Martin did play on the Trio album..but P. Burlison was there in NY(no doubt) and in Nashville..The trio pioneered Rockabilly before the Nashville A team knew what rockabilly was and played rockabilly seven times on national prime time TV beginning in early 1956..and long before that in Memphis honkytonks..

buchon2111, Outlaw, CatTones and 6 others like this.
  2. Viper

Viper Electromatic

Feb 1, 2009
    Iowa City, Iowa
    That answers a lot of questions. This is important information, especially in light of the often stated "fact" that Grady Martin played the leads on Johnny Burnette's trio recordings.

I only look in on this forum occasionally, and seldom post here, but welcome to Gretsch Talk. I hope you hang around.

T simmons likes this.
  3. dburlison

dburlison Electromatic

Jul 30, 2010
    memphis
    T simmons likes this.
  4. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    I've watched Paul reach into his amplifier and loosen the tube, then play those octave licks. Not a doubt in my mind that those licks on the old Burnett/R&R TRio records are Burlison.

As far as other licks on other tracks, some are well-documented to be Martin (and even Paul admits certain tracks are Grady), but nobody played those octaves like Burlison!

T simmons likes this.
  5. dburlison

dburlison Electromatic

Jul 30, 2010
    memphis
    Hioney Hush distortion

If you want to see how my dad played the octave/distortion licks on "Train Kept Rollin" and "Honey Hush"..ck out this live performance of my dad at age 71(forth song-lead "Honey Hush")
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8OPvYp92jA"]YouTube - Rock & Roll Trio[/ame] (go to forth and last song)...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
    T simmons likes this.
  6. dburlison

dburlison Electromatic

Jul 30, 2010
    memphis
    Paul Burlison-Train Kept Rollin

If you want to hear Paul Bulison (Live playing on "Train Kept Rollin" at age 71)..Then check out this recent youtube entry..The same distortion licks he played on the original Trio cut 1956..(Check out second song)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfS-XZs99zU&feature=related"]YouTube - Rock and Roll Trio Part 3[/ame]

T simmons likes this.
  7. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Little Falls,MN
    Is that Dominic Fontana playing drums?

8. Raspy

Raspy Country Gent

Jun 7, 2008
    extreme no. ca.
    WOW !!! That was really kool.
    It looks like your dad is really
    having a blast.

Thanks for posting those.

========================

<><> Raspy <><>

T simmons likes this.
  9. sroux

sroux Country Gent

Oct 6, 2008
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    Yep, that's D.J.

T simmons likes this.
  10. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    why's everone resurrecting old threads all of a sudden?

11. Raspy

Raspy Country Gent

Jun 7, 2008
    extreme no. ca.
    Memories.

=================

<><> Raspy <><>

T simmons likes this.
  12. VictoriaDD59

VictoriaDD59 Gretschie

Feb 26, 2009
    Iowa
    Some people think that if you say something enough and believe it enough yourself, then its really true...

Grady Martin was a studio professional, he played on countless rockabilly and country boogie tunes. His tone and style are instantly recognizable. He plays alot of the same licks on the Johnny Horton records that he did with the Rock N Roll Trio. You can hear its him by the fatter tone, its incredibly obvious.

I don't doubt your dad is a legend or that he played on some of the tracks, "Tear it Up" instantly comes to mind, because you can hear the thinner, brighter sounding Telecaster. But most of those tunes have Grady's imprint written all over them.

Listen to the Johnny Horton records and tell me you don't hear the spot on similarities. Its because of Grady and his Bigsby guitar.

RepentOrPerish and T simmons like this.
  13. VictoriaDD59

VictoriaDD59 Gretschie

Feb 26, 2009
    Iowa
    I hear the same type of soloing on Tear it Up as well, bright and thin, like a Tele, with the same type of licks.

Distortion octaves on Train Kept a Rollin, I don't think anyone ever questioned. However in that video, Jim Weider is playing them at first, then your dad takes over, you can see it. Great firey playing from Jim, as usual.

Grady's tone was deep, twangy and big, its really easy to hear the difference.

14. dburlison

dburlison Electromatic

Jul 30, 2010
    memphis
    Again there is two guitars on the original "Train Kept Rollin"..Any novice can pick this up..And G.Martin could not have played the distortion and non-distortion licks..G. Martin never played the distortion licks unique to the Trio cuts before or after the Trio's Nashville sessions..And no one has ever cited one example Of G. Martin creating the distortion licks unique to the Trio cuts..in none the threads discussing G. Martin/P. Burlison .And G. Martin did play on many records...(waiting)..

And all the guitars on the above youtube entries are teles..Steven Ray Vaughn did a good job with a fender tele..As have others..

If you say it enough..maybe somebody will take an honest look at the facts..

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    T simmons likes this.
  15. dburlison

dburlison Electromatic

Jul 30, 2010
    memphis
    Because you are running out of ones to troll on Jeff..

T simmons likes this.
  16. VictoriaDD59

VictoriaDD59 Gretschie

Feb 26, 2009
    Iowa
    This is full of bad information.

1. SRV was famous for playing a strat, that's obvious see the pics for this.
    2. Even a novice can hear the difference between Grady Martin and Paul Burlison's guitar playing.

You'll see if you read my post that I never questioned your dad playing the distortion octaves. I have no doubt in my mind that he did.

However, sit down with a Johnny Horton record and then with the trio album from Bear Family and listen and then be honest with yourself. You can hear in seconds that Grady is all over that original Rock N Roll Trio stuff.

T simmons likes this.
  17. halweston

halweston Electromatic

Oct 11, 2009
    london
    Listen to the alternate take of Please Don't Leave Me and fast forward to the end of the second lead break, about 2.11 in.

Interesting... Grady does an octave!

T simmons likes this.
  18. spooky

spooky Gretschie

Oct 27, 2010
    space
    Have we really reduced ourselves to arguing with Pauls son?

Whats next Paul didnt play a tele he played a Gretsch?

Get a life folks.

RomanS and T simmons like this.
  19. vick

vick Electromatic

May 28, 2010
    colorado
    I certainly consider your dad a guitar legend. I'm honored that you stopped by the forum, and I hope you continue to post. I'm sure you miss him tremendously. l've always loved this clip. Your dad in a cream dinner jacket and white bucks, looks like Henry Fonda on the outside but total badass on the inside.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvdnEBsUxoc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvdnEBsUxoc[/ame]
    where can I find a chandelier like that for my swinging pad?

Last edited: May 14, 2011
    T simmons likes this.
  20. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    cut it out, man

you're gonna blow my cover

ruger9 likes this.