Panther, Broadcaster, Falcon differences?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Jrgtr, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Jrgtr

Jrgtr Electromatic

Dec 14, 2019
    Atx
    What are the major differences between the Panther, Broadkaster, and the falcon (double cutaway)?

Are there differences in body size? What other features set these apart?

Thanks in advance!

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
  3. Jrgtr

Jrgtr Electromatic

Dec 14, 2019
    Atx
    Well I’m interested in mostly the Panther and how it’s different. I think it’s discontinued so the specs aren’t listed on the site.

4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Hopefully some Panther owners chip in on this one.

IIRC they were a 16" body, and thin. Not sure of the exact thickness though. Nice gits.

Jrgtr likes this.
  5. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    The lower bout on my Panther is a little under 16”. The body thickness is 1-3/4”. I’m not good at describing neck profiles but to me it’s a very comfortable “U”. Believe the DC Falcon has an ebony fretboard vs the Panther’s rosewood. I played a DC Falcon the same day and store as I tried the Panther. I far preferred the Panther for the sound.

I don’t know why this model was discontinued but as I’m sure other members like Nick and Tony(s) will attest, Panthers are fabulous instruments. I won’t, but I’d like to have a White one to go with the Black one I have.

Any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Jrgtr likes this.
  6. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The Panther is the winner of the three by the better Bigsby alone.

I will never understand, how Gretsch could ruin the double cut Falcon with a tension bar Bigsby.

Robbie likes this.
  7. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Me too and even worse ... the double cut Falcon back in 2013 was a much better model, than the current model with the tension bar Bigsby :(

Robbie likes this.
  8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Panther vs falcon, the only chance the falcon has is to run away.panther ftw.

Really though, the panther has less bling (less binding, no f hole binding), has a jack on the top like a 335 - which is sorta the market it was aiming at - sort of a precursor to some of the proline broadcasters. Like the Anni and T Rose, it's more of a working musician guitar versus the up scale aesthetics of the 6120 or falcon, but made by the same people and with all the same quality and material aside from the bling.

Broadcasters are a couple steps closer to the 335, with (1) a bridge on studs instead of a wood base, and (2) I believe have a different pickup I believe, Gretsch with a half step towards PAF so I've heard.

Lots of good reviews. Some things to consider.

Do you really want a centerblock?

Do you want a bigsby? If so, tension bar ok?

Classic Gretsch sound, or is a variation ok? You can always swap pickups.

And of course the all look very different. Panther the most subtle, falcon the loudest.

Jrgtr likes this.
  9. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    My Black Panther ain't goin' anywhere and I've bought and sold a few other pro-lines since I scored the Panther.

audept and Robbie like this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    They hook you don’t they

audept, Tony65x55 and Aymara like this.
  11. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I love my panther. I have done a lot of gigs with it and it always gives me what I need. I’ve also had three different sets of pick ups in it, stock filtertron, tv Jones classic-classic+ set and setzer signatures. All these pick ups sound better in the panther than any other gretsch I’ve owned. The falcon is a longer scale and I’m a short fat guy, I had a hard time with the falcon and when I bought my panther I originally looked at a center block falcon and it sounded dead compared to the panther

16F7D301-2DB5-4434-A6F4-BDD07F38485C.jpeg 33B2CEDE-4FA1-49DA-B0CE-B9389286A21D.jpeg E46CA276-494A-45B3-B0F7-51A10A37CB5E.jpeg 0443055F-252E-4BC6-BEFC-37BDF4BBDF7F.jpeg BD47513C-4EFE-454D-A3CB-A9C665F192EB.jpeg 16F7D301-2DB5-4434-A6F4-BDD07F38485C.jpeg

audept, Trash Kidd and new6659 like this.
  12. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Not dead, but much colder, I would say.

nickurso likes this.
  13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Nick, of the three sets of PUPs which ones do you like best in your Panther?

nickurso likes this.
  14. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Setzer signature are my favorite filters

audept and Robbie like this.
  15. Defib Tim

Defib Tim Electromatic

Dec 3, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    +1 for the Panther. I was lucky enough to get a black one with an ebony fretboard. It's perfect for nailing Hoodoo Gurus covers. and the Bigsby is magic. I'm gonna change out the chrome/nickel hardware for gold with a gold pickguard when I get the time.

audept likes this.
  16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Panther. Mine is one of the best playing Gretsch guitars I own.
    6137TCB mods 001.JPG

JC higgy, larryb, Trash Kidd and 3 others like this.
  17. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I have to echo the Panther love. I play mine regularly and it does many things very well. Mine is Flagstaff Red like Wyn's pretty girl above.

It's a tough girl too. It broke my hand without a scratch on her. Literally. It's a long story

larryb and audept like this.
  18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Indeed, they do.

Robbie and audept like this.
  19. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I concur.

nickurso likes this.
  20. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh, yes.

Robbie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice