Pancakes : The difference was butter

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    100% maple syrup is the only way to go. I always try different brands though. This is my current bottle from Canada.

6F701E03-9412-40F3-B59D-37B9CB45BA54.jpeg

section2, blueruins, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Tree blood! It'll turn ya into an Ent!

section2, blueruins and Merc like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    074B1A6D-1A38-4F5B-9BA6-A2E4CDC135D5.jpeg

4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    This is my favourite thread on this forum lol I love pancakes, but I am not great in the kitchen, like at all, but am going to try some of the recipes posted this weekend I think.

blueruins and ZackyDog like this.
  5. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Original Pancake House was dinner once a week for a couple years in my childhood. Questionable parenting decisions pushing your children towards a high sugar diet. 49er flapjacks were my go to. Thin, Gooey and Chewy. Ive tried to recreate as an adult but failed miserably.

[​IMG]

larryb, ZackyDog and Merc like this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Anything is better with butter but you wouldn’t be able to tell from the stuff they sell over here. Imagine the worst of margarines, absolutely gross. After a while you can taste it in everything, cookies, cake etc. :(

In the Netherlands the product butter is protected in that it has to be made from milk. So “Peanut butter” doesn’t fly(weirdly we call it peanut cheese but logically it should be called a spread or cream).

The best butter has to be Grass butter, 100% cream butter from grass fed cows.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Not store-bought lard either, get your own pork fat and home render your own lard. The same holds true for pie crusts it has to be home rendered and the best of the best is fat from pork belly.

blueruins and new6659 like this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Real butter, not that imitation garbage!

ZackyDog likes this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Although I haven't tried Bulletproof coffee....this Keto friendly beverage is supposed to taste delish!

...and again, butter makes EVERYTHING better

cof.png

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Merc likes this.
  12. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My kids eat hundreds of pancakes a week, so homemade all the time isn’t feasible, we get the dog chow sized bag of Krusteaz mix and two giant jugs of syrup from Costco to handle the volume. But out of curiosity, I took a page from your book and substituted unsalted butter for some of the water. Not sure if the kids noticed, but I thought it was a significant improvement.

Interested to hear how it works with waffles. We do homemade for those, and I’ve always been a stickler for oil to keep them crispy.

2F83C735-9A14-476C-A1F4-34704891B02A.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    blueruins likes this.
  13. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Nothing wrong with Krusteaz. This thread inspired me to make pancakes (from Krusteaz mix) this morning. Of course, I cooked them in loads of butter. :D

14. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

My wife doesn't want me to use butter anymore:( (well maybe a bit of unsalted once in a while):oops:

15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    When I went keto my cholesterol got a lot better and my triglycerides went from over 400 to 136. Butter is a main item for me. I eat a lot of butter in various dishes and in drinks.

section2, new6659 and blueruins like this.
  16. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Another vote for real butter and REAL MAPLE SYRUP!!
    Real maple is a fairly low glycemic sugar too, if you’re concerned about your blood glucose level. It’s a WAYYYYYY better choice than the high fructose corn syrup crap!

dougmon, Bertotti, blueruins and 2 others like this.
  17. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I've been traveling in Southeast Asia since the end of December. The food here is amazing, but your post has set off a craving for a big American breakfast. Homemade pancakes and bacon, please! Pass the butter!

new6659 and Merc like this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    When I visited the US a few decades ago this was my typical breakfast. I really love pancakes with maple syrup.
    Put on 4 kilograms of weight during 4 weeks...

new6659 and section2 like this.
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Well the outcome (except for the cinnamon, which I like separately) is essentially the same: I like a lot of butter and some syrup :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice