Pancakes : The difference was butter

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, Feb 17, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I love flapjacks/pancakes but I always wondered why some places were better than my homemade version.

upload_2020-2-17_0-10-3.jpeg

The recipe calls for flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, egg, milk and oil or butter. For decades, I have always used oil. But one day last summer I used butter. And that was the difference; my pancakes tasted and looked like old fashioned pancakes.

They were great. So great that it inspired me to open up an international chain of ZackyDog flapjack stands. ;)

Thanks for reading.

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  3. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    How do you mix butter into the pancake mix though? I'd think it would be difficult to mix in butter in its solid form. Do you melt it first?

MKunie likes this.
  4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Yes :)

MKunie likes this.
  5. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    My recipe includes melt a large dollop of butter in the pan, half the melted butter stays in the pan, the rest gets beaten into the batter.

I am also a heretic in that I double the eggs, leave out the sugar and I use self raising as I hate the taste of baking soda.

MotorCentaur and ZackyDog like this.
  6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I'll share a cooking secret here - refried beans - use lard, not oil, and lots of it - but it's probably not a secret as everybody should know that:rolleyes:

7. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Our pancakes in French-speaking Europe are called "crêpes" and about 2 to 3 mm thick. I use neither butter nor oil (just flour, eggs, milk). Even replaced milk with soy milk and it works just as well. Needless to say I gain a few kilos each time I travel to the States or the UK in breakfast included mode. Plus you have free refills for beverages there ;)

We visited some friends in the Boston area last year and they claimed to make the best pancakes in the world. Guess what, they did and they looked just like the ones in your pic, so yes butter ftw!!

section2, dak55 and ZackyDog like this.
  8. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
  9. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    gotta love a good pancake!

ZackyDog likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Big fan of thin Crepes Suzette. The thinner the better(they have special pans for those) and I don’t need ice cream or any fancy liqueurs set on fire.:rolleyes:

ZackyDog, Merc and mschafft like this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Great idea ..... haven't had pancakes in a long time

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Have you tried melting butter and making half butter/half maple syrup for topping your pancakes? Stir in some cinnamon and you can make churros pancakes.
    I can’t cook a thing but my children think I’m the god of breakfast...really irritates my hardworking wife who is truly an amazing chef and can turn anything in the pantry into a delicious meal.
    Another thing I do is incorporate the brown sugar into the milk and/or water as its boiling when making oatmeal.
    I’m going to try adding butter to my waffles this Saturday, thanks for the tip!
    Everything is better with butter.

13. Altitude.... >4500’ or ~1500m does bad stuff to pancakes and pizza crust.

ZackyDog likes this.
  14. Sean McILwaine

Sean McILwaine Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    I love pancakes. Have I missed pancake day. Silly question so I will check it out now.

ZackyDog likes this.
  15. Sean McILwaine

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    Great I’ve not.

ZackyDog likes this.
  16. Sean McILwaine

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    Flower, milk, salt and a hint of chilli powder. Fry in pan with butter or a flavoured oil and drizzle with lime juice and eat with a tequila late at night.

ZackyDog likes this.
  17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Totally agree. Good butter makes all the difference. I love President butter - best flavor I can find.

But there's one more ingredient that matters...cast iron pan.

ZackyDog likes this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    My favorite are blueberry pancakes from Cracker Barrel but with regular syrup. I haven’t been able to duplicate them yet.

FF424D40-F5BF-42AB-B44F-E786E9116EF9.jpeg

National19 and ZackyDog like this.
  19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    You have to alter recipes, slightly for high elevation baking. IIRC, it usually boils down to adding more flour, but I'd do some research before I acted.

ishtar likes this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Pancakes are great! Butter is the secret. The other things to consider are very thin apple slices and blueberries. I just have to have butter---I can do without syrup then. And, if you are the maple syrup type, use real maple syrup, not high fructose corn goop.

Being Polish, we make potato pancakes---great with jam!

Crepes are great as well, especially with fresh fruit. Gotta love the simple pleasures of life!

new6659, ZackyDog and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice