P90 on a Duo Jet?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by stiv, Jun 26, 2018.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Did any of you fellas tried this combination? I just scored a Synchromatic 2616 in gorgeous silver sparkle, and although I don't dislike the stock Gretschbuckers they're not my style at all. So I was thinking either to a Neil Young mode (soapbar P90 neck, Firebird or Guild mini humbucker bridge) or a more classic Cochran mode (dogear P90 neck, Dynasonic or Franken Tone Chester bridge). I only have some doubt about messing too much with pickup holes, as standard Gretsch holes seem smaller than P90s bodies.. So did any of you guys tried to fit P90s on a Duo Jet?
    Pics appreciated. Technical details about how to install them without damaging the body too..:)
    Thanks!

2. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    I bought a G6128-TDS off of a forum member here that had P90s fitted into the Dynasonic housings. Sounds great, and no issues. I wish I could remember that gentleman's name, as he could probably give you the entire run down about how it's done

EDIT: @MartyT

stiv likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I dont think you have a duo jet which would have filtertrons or dynasonics so I dont think its comparable to a 6128. I think the gretsch buckets are closet yo Gibson humbuckers.

T Bone and stiv like this.
  4. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    I installed P-90's on a Pro Jet a few years back. They drop right in but you gotta make a modification to screw the screw onto the guitar cavity.

I Hated the sound I got, tried everything, in Phase, out of Phase changed Tone knobs ,wiring, grounding. HATED the sound. Installed stock Gretsch Filtertrons and now I am 1000% happy with my guitar.

stiv likes this.
  5. Scarabeus

Scarabeus Gretschie

May 17, 2014
    Dallas
    P90’s in any Gretsch just sounds wrong to me.
    I might be close-minded though.

Hydroman likes this.
  6. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Yes, I think that pickup holes are more similar to a standard humbucking, so I guess they may need some re shape even with a P90 installing template.
    I don't know. I love P90s (I actually have one in all my guitar including my 6210 with the exception of the Jet Club, that has Filtertrons) but I'm not a big fan of modifying original bodies as revert them back would be impossible.
    Maybe I could try some humbucker-shaped P90. Any experience with some of them?

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sorry, I don't. There should be members here who've replaced the same pickups. Maybe put the name of the pickups more prominently in the thread title.

stiv likes this.
  8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Guitarfetish has their Mean 90s humbucker sized for $35. There's a bunch of other sources too, SD have some expensive ones.

The older ProJets that had the mini humbuckers and no master volume were perfect for retro fitting with standard P90s (or dynasonics).

A standard soapbar P90 will be slimmer than the rout for the humbucker, so you need some kind of surround anyway. Might as well go for the humbucker sized so you can use regular HB surrounds.

9. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Check TV Jones, he makes numerous sizes and shapes of all his pickups

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice