Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Ozark Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Anni_Lover, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
  2. lennyedwards

lennyedwards Former Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Luxembourg
    I had one of the banjo's for a bit, but sold it. Without wishing to generalise too much, my particular one was not all that great at all, in fact it was proper rubbish*.

* but it is/was the only Ozark instrument I have seen/played.

3. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Nice find. Some very cool gits.

4. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Little Falls,MN
    They are basically a entry level guitar.

5. Squeaker

Squeaker Gretschie

Jun 23, 2009
    Nr Birmingham, England
    Had an Ozark J200 style jumbo a few years back. Looked pretty with all the birdseye maple. Utter rubbish though, sold it sharpish.

I've played a couple of the metal bodied resonators since, they had quite an authentic clank, but the set-up was "strictly slide guitar only".

Style over substance? Harsh but fair IME

6. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
    Sounds like the UK brand known as "Vintage" which are all made in China.

7. MrVanDango

MrVanDango Gretschie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hemel Hempstead, Britain
    Are they really that bad...? I've been eyeing up some cheap(ish) electro-acoustic parlours and was interested in the Deluxe 3740 after reading this review or a Turner CLS-01E.
    I've not been able to find any reviews or info on the Turner but by all accounts the Ozark seems okay?

8. ikaros_swede

ikaros_swede Synchromatic

Nov 30, 2009
    Sweden
    I guess you get what you pay for and I see that they have some really nice models, the 3175 is one nice model.
    It's £399 on eBay and if you change the pu's, put on a new nut and a new bridge it would probably be a really nice guitar. But at that point you are up to the same price as for a 5120 from some online-stores.... Or a Epi ES175 or a Washburn J3.

9. MrVanDango

MrVanDango Gretschie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hemel Hempstead, Britain
    Have you ever played one to be able to say it needs a new nut, bridge and pup's? I'm not saying it wouldn't benefit (never played one), but i read about so many people who do this sort of thing without even seeing what the guitar plays like stock!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  10. ikaros_swede

Nov 30, 2009
    Sweden
    To be able to have a low price on a guitar you don't spend a lot of money on the bridge or the nut, and the pu's speaks for them self. A nice set up of pu's cost almost the same as the whole guitar if we talk Ozark, Epi or Washburn.

I have changed my bridges to Compton or any other aftermarket type, the nut is in almost every cases a piece of plastic and not so expensive to change to a bone nut.

I believe that this is the three most important mods to do on a guitar, in which order depends what guitar it is. But for very little money the nut and the bridge give you a lot back when changed to something that is the real deal.

To change the wiring and pots together with nut, bridge and pick ups, well then you close in on the price for a pro-model.
    As I wrote, you get what you pay for. My 4WD Volvo costed me a lot of money, but it works after several years and can not be compared with cars made in Korea with the same miles on the meter. You get what you pay for!

11. MrVanDango

MrVanDango Gretschie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hemel Hempstead, Britain
    @ikaros_swede
    I'm not arguing any guitar wouldn't be improved by swapping bits out... My point is anyone should surely play it first and then decide what (if anything) needs swapped out or tweaked (and the 3740 does appears to have a bone nut and saddle).

I have changed PUP's, Bridges, Pots, etc on my guitars but never site unseen. Always playing the guitar first and then working out what i like, don't like and what (if anything) I want to change!

12. ikaros_swede

Nov 30, 2009
    Sweden
    You'r right VanDango, I asumed unseen that the Ozark needed new parts! I actually have no idea if it is necessary or if it will benefit from it. :)

13. MrVanDango

MrVanDango Gretschie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hemel Hempstead, Britain
    That wasn't intended to flame you ikaros...
    I've just seen so many threads where people just mod and mod without getting to know and play the guitar they've actually spent their money on!

More often than not it's simply because they've read on a forum somewhere to change the caps, pots, pup's etc!

russmack likes this.
  14. ikaros_swede

Nov 30, 2009
    Sweden
    Well I've done the same. I actually thought that locking tuners would help me with tuning stability cause I read it somewhere. Now I know that the nut and bridge has more to do with that. (But I have Sperzel on my 5125..... and it works fine!)
    :)

15. Drewgrass

Drewgrass Country Gent

Dec 20, 2009
    Teesside ENGLAND
    Annoying isn't it?
    I've lost count of of the times I've seen sombody who is excited about their new 5120 joins the forum.
    They post an introduction to themselves and their guitar and are then told (in the same thread) they should change the bridge and the pickups so that the guitar sounds/plays better.

I play an Ozark mandolin and an Ozark autoharp.
    There is nothing wrong with the build quality or playability of these instruments and to assume so without any experience of the companies instruments is meaningless. I don't understand the reasoning behind doing so.

16. MrVanDango

MrVanDango Gretschie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hemel Hempstead, Britain
    As a person who owns some Ozarks would you recommend them? I'm after the electro-acoustic parlour but i'm having problems finding places to test-drive one!

17. Drewgrass

Drewgrass Country Gent

Dec 20, 2009
    Teesside ENGLAND
    I would certainly recomend trying one but not so sure I would recommend buying one especially buying one unseen.
    I hate to recommend things not knowing what someone's expectations are.

The only Ozark guitars I've tried are the range of resonators. I can't really speak for the other guitars they produce.
    I also play an Ozark banjo that I feel is well built, plays well sounds great (if you believe any banjo can sound great).

As you can see from the posts here everybody has different expectations of what they are going to get.
    That's why I dont recomend anything unless I have personal experience which in this case, (other than the instruments I own), I dont.
    That said I do recomend you don't discount the Ozark based on the opinions of those who know nothing about them.

18. Don Juandre

Don Juandre Electromatic

Jul 16, 2015
    Cardiff, UK
    As a rule I'd agree. But it does so happen a change of pickups and tuners (the nut seems ok to me) would make this guitar sound as beautiful as it looks.

For an extra £300 you've got near Gibson (or Gretsch!) looks and quality. Pretty hard to beat...

And yes, I do own one. I also have an Ozark 'grande bouche' Maccaferri copy (Django style guitar) which is very good at it's price point.

19. SteveTTT

SteveTTT Newbie

Sep 13, 2017
    Hampshire UK
    IMG_0102.JPG
    Just seen this old post, and am aware Ozarks are currently being marketed by GAK and others. I picked up a secondhand electro-resonator (on a whim!) for a few hundred quid about 6 years ago and was pleasantly surprised to compare that with the c.£600 retail prices now. Mine was made in Korea (sorry - I initially said Czechoslovakia, no idea where that thought came from, but I've now looked!), I have no idea where the current range is manufactured. Build quality on mine really seems quite good, with a nice mahogany neck and unbranded Grover-esque tuners, very smooth and low-geared. As per one of the earlier comments, it is clearly set up for slide (which I don't play) with a high action especially on the lower strings, but is still quite playable for my limited talents and tuning is very stable. If nothing else it looks great on the wall!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    russmack likes this.