Overdrive on Solid State amp

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by michelb, Mar 31, 2020.

1. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I am not sure how your built-in amp Overdrive works, but it probably won't mix well with the pedals, just run your amp clean. I have a 1980's Peavey amp which has its own built-in "saturation" effect which is a kind of waveform clipping circuit, they have several patents in that area. But they don't breathe as well as a tube circuit or a TS type pedal can, it just changes the waveform in a one-size-fits-all approach, like you can have any color Model T Ford you want as long as it's black, to paraphrase Henry Ford.

The sweet sound comes from the edge of breakup, where your attack on the strings can send it over the edge, but a gentle pick strum remains pristine.

Also, the EQ that you send into a tube pre-amp, or a OD pedal makes a difference, many prefer the top-boost or high-Frequency boost into the pedal so that the breakup occurs for the top strings and high on the neck positions while the low E and A remain fairly clean. I think you can adjust to whatever your preference is with a combination of clean-boost and OD pedals with careful attention to the EQ of both so the break-up and crunch has the flavor or color you want. "I want a transparent OD, well I want an invisible OD, heck I want an inaudible OD!"

You can play with the volume control on the guitar, and the pickup selector, so you have some flexibility with how your pedals are dialed in to vary the desired sounds from using the controls on your guitar. It is a process.

michelb likes this.
  2. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I have this, the British sound and the AC. Out of all of them the American is the best. The Marshall style Brit sound is pretty much overdriven from the off whereas the American (Fender style) has much more clarity and twang.
    I use it to DI my guitar into the PA and sometimes for recording when I don’t want to mic up an amp.

I have actually used it as a pre amp before a bass amp as a third guitar amp. Just keep the pedal volume low so you are not driving the bass amp. Then set the pedal for an appropriate sound. You might have to compensate on the bass amps eq to reduce the lows and raise the top end a little. I would put a verb or delay after the Joyo.
    Good luck.

stiv, michelb and Ricochet like this.
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Keeley Red Devil mini gets a nice warm edge of breakup sound going thru my Quilter 101. For a more subtle shade of vintage breakup, try the Junior Barnyard by Nocturne Brain.

michelb, GlenP and dougmon like this.
  4. 64ChevSS

64ChevSS Gretschie

Dec 24, 2016
    Innisfil, Ontario
    Tavo has a video of a Brain Seltzer through a solid state amp - check it out.
    It doesn't add dirt, gain or distortion; but the improvement in clarity and fullness is surprising.
    Maybe an improved clean tone first will help you find your sound.

michelb likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A few years ago there was a small hype of using $30 dollar Art MP tube pre-amps to warm up the sound. Is that what you were thinking?

michelb likes this.
  6. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    I don't really like the build in destortion for what I want, I think it can fatten up another overdrive but, on it's own it's quite flat.
    Aight thx, for the info on dialing in OD :)

7. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    I'll look it up, seems like a good starting point idd.

8. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Sounds good, but I'm looking to create a little heavier sound.

I'd like to be able to cover country, rockabilly, blues and psychobilly.

So I'm looking for a pedal train that can give.
    Rockabilly: slightly broken up clean, with heavier break up when I dig in.
    Blues: A bit darker overdrive, where you can still hear the notes clearly.

I'm not picky :rolleyes:.
    So my idea now was to put a Mystery Brain in front of a low to mid OD pedal and maybe see if the OD channel on the amps plays well with that.
    If I had an actual genre appropriate guitar amp, I'd prob only need the Mystery Brain. But as I said, I'm a double bass player :p But I like to learn, step out of my comfort zone, challenge myself and never stop learning.

So the rockabilly sound, in my head, should kinda approach this.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    GlenP and Ricochet like this.
  9. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Same here, I use my British to overdrive the clean Fender Rhodes sound of my keys into the amp when I need to play the fool like Martin Rev :D
    Cheap but effective, I’d say.

michelb and Alanqa like this.
  10. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

The Joyo American pedal that @Ricochet linked to does a fairly good job of sounding like a Fender amp. Even our resident guitar god @TSims1 uses one direct into a mixing board to replicate an amp. If he's happy, I'm happy. Cheap, too (the pedal, not Tony).

Now, your amp has an auxiliary input, which bypasses the preamp and tone controls. Effectively its super clean, like a hifi amp. Normally you plug in a phone or computer or cd player (remember them?) so you can jam along.

If you plug the pedal into the auxiliary input you won't then muddy the tone with the preamp in your amp. That will give you the best chance of making your Rumble sound like a 'proper' guitar amp.

Ricochet and michelb like this.
  11. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Gonna look into these, they don't break the bank, so can't hurt

12. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I was thinking more of the Mesa-Boogie V-Twin and the like, but I expect that ART MP would be very flexible.

13. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    There also seems to be a Joyo California, any idea on the diff between American and California?

14. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Ricochet and michelb like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah, that distortion channel on the Rumble is bad sounding. They could have added more EQ instead of wasting that space.

michelb likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I bought all of them except the Extreme which emulates a hi-gain Diezel amp I think.
    I liked the Fender version best cause you can still go to Vox or Marshall tonality with a pedal, not so much the other way round for some reason.

michelb likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Btw, I’d bet good money on it that amp would sound way better with a dedicated guitar speaker...

18. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Was thinking of giving it a speaker output, So I can connect it to a cab.
    Then I can add a switch to use it as a head or as a combo.

Ricochet likes this.
  19. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
  20. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Today I got the MP Big Tweedy Drive and imo it sounds awesome in combination with the amp. To my ear it actually sounds pretty close to what a Twin amp should sound like, maybe a bit of a mix of Twin and Bassman, since the Rumble is a bass amp.
    The fact that it's run through a solid state amp doesn't dirty the signal more outside the pedal. The dynamics of attacking the string work great. The range goes from very slight break up on heavy attack to balls to the wall heavy blues. :D
    Super excited to run the Mystery Brain in front of it :p

If you guys would be interested I can try and record something one of these days?
    The amps settings are as seen on the amp + the bright and vintage presets engaged. Increasing gain on the amp makes the strings pop more.

IMG_20200402_160924648.jpg

Hammerhands likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice