Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Other than an amp...

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by rockinforJesus, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Absolutely, soundwise it's hard to beat, IF you have good realistic amp profiles. And creating them yourself is much work.

And the Kemper or AxeFX are not as mobile as an iPad ;)

So I myself would prefer hardware for studio, rehearsal room and stage, but an iPad for home jamming. But ok, for those, who have a music room or home studio, Kemper & Co. are preferable. My room at home is very limited.

Oh, and if you add a good speaker to your iPad, you have a nice garden amp :)

2. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Interesting setup:

Metal haters should skip to the second song.

3. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    Like I said before, I think this one would be perfect for the OP. And it's cheaper than most of the stuff in the same category. I own this thing and it sounds really well for both guitar and bass.

4. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You convinced me. I have one on the way!

emicad and Ricochet like this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Some cleaner Bias tones

6. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    ... and here too:

7. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    Don't forget to share your thoughts, I'd like to hear how you like it.

8. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The same applies to @Henry and his iOS purchase of the PG-bundle ;)

emicad likes this.
  9. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I've been so busy at work I have pedals I bought more than 6 months ago and they're still in the boxes untouched! It's my circular irony: I need to work to make the money to buy the equipment I don't have time to play with because I'm too busy working! :eek:

emicad likes this.
  10. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Work less, buy less, play more ;)

emicad likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I've commited as well! I was already toying around with Bias FX Pro and Jam Up free, but now have bought the Pro bundle at a pretty good discount. Tnx for the headsup Chris! :)

12. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    You're welcome, enjoy!

Btw ... check the BIAS tonecloud for the Gretsch Playboy amp by ampl4.com and also search for "IR: AB763". I think these two will let nearly every Gretsch player, who seeks good clean tones, grin. The AB763 is cab matched (2 versions available) with IRs and the Playboy has nice dirty cleans, when slightly cranked ... it also has a nice crunch tone, when combined with the tube screamer in BIAS FX.

PS: My current favourite setup is the Playboy with an 808 in front and a Plexi in parallel:

IMG_0280.PNG

Btw, the chorus and reverb at the end of the tone chain are stereo.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Henry likes this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ll check it out if I can make it onto the cloud.
    Turns out I need a Wifi connection to download anything bigger than 150MB, so no Bias Amp as of yet. :rolleyes:

14. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I checked my BIAS FX backup in DropBox and found out, that a single setup only has a few KB, so tonecloud downloads should't require WiFi, if you have a cell phone network connection.

PS: To get to the cloud, you first need to register on the Positive Grid website:

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en...c/en-us/articles/207646286-Login-and-activate

Choose Sign Up above.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Tnx. I wanted to experiment with amp models so I figured I needed the Amp app. Didn’t realise I could load them into FX as well. :)

16. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    On iOS you'll also need the amp app to change the cabs (or the mic), which is integrated in BIAS FX desktop, but not in the iOS version. But once you imported an amp from BIAS to BIAS FX, you can use it in any setup. You can also export amps from FX to BIAS and back.