Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Other than an amp...

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by rockinforJesus, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I installed BIAS Pedal on my iPad. I will try out, what it can do and if it would be possible to build a delay unit, that comes closer to the El Capistan.

I'll report back after my tests.

2. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    That's an interesting approach to the on-stage match requirement:

Ok, it's Metal, but you get the idea.

BTW ... some further insight to BIAS Pedal. When it was released, it was only a distortion solution, but in 2017 they introduced two further versions besides distortion: Delay and Modulation. So now it gets really usable.

The horrible fact about these products is, that they also released three hardware pedals ... for 400€ each ... what? Yes. But the software versions are much cheaper.

And here we have another very huge advantage for iPad users ... all BIAS software is much, much cheaper on iOS, than on PC/Mac.

It's also worth mentioning, that BIAS Amp hardware exists ... 300W power :eek:

3. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Just posting so I can keep an eye on this thread.

4. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Because Garageband was recommended as a beginner friendly solution to record song ideas, let's see how we can integrate BIAS (or BFX) to that:

And now let's check out, how this would be done in Reaper:

And last but not least, here are two examples of virtual instruments (bass and drums) to show, why I much prefer Reaper over the weak instruments in Garageband:

To play such instruments, you will need a MIDI keyboard, that you attach to your interface too. But for drums you can even use an e-drum kit or pads:

Or for the beginning just pickup one of the ready made beats, which you can drag as a MIDI file into Reaper, where you can further edit it.

Ok, so we see, the Reaper route is much more complex, but offer much superior possibilities and sound quality. Btw ... above Sennheiser drumkit is free. The Rickenbacker though is part of Native Instruments Komplete, which is quite expensive, but offer everything you can dream of: Bass, piano, drum kits, saxophone, strings like violin, many synthesizer, pretty good effects like compressor and much more.

But if you want simplicity, just for jamming or to quickly record a song idea, an iPad together with an iRig Pro interface (for guitar, mic or keyboard) is hard to beat. And those, who don't need effects, but just a good amp sim, can even use BIAS Amp on an iPhone ... or alternatively JamUp, which is somewhat a simplified BIAS FX:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-86gCTBPu3w

5. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Ok, and here's something for those guys, who would prefer something in a hardware pedal format:

But those with a bigger budget would much prefer the aforementioned AxeFX, I guess:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    emicad likes this.
  6. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    There's something more to report:

When I first heard, that Positive Grid are working on a drum app, I thought they should better concentrate on guitar & bass, because there are enough drum apps and plugins available already.

But now, that I saw, what they did, I think it will be very helpful for those guys without any drum capabilities and even for an ex-drummer like me, it might help to speed up my composing workflow.

Now that they added MIDI export, I get interested ;)

7. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Ok, let's come back to the question, if this BIAS stuff can emulate a Vox AC. In the following video from 6:15 onward we can not only see an AC30 clone, but also, what a difference IR files (cab sims) can make to the sound. The later is the more interesting stuff here, because the tone cloud will have better Vox sims, than this stock one.

8. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I found this detailled demo by chance:

9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Man....................you sure love that BIAS stuff! Lol!!

10. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    There are definitely better options on the market, but I guess you know the prices of Kemper & Co.?

There are also other plugins like S-Gear for example, that have their fans, but that BIAS stuff is the only one, that is multiplatform (incl. iOS) and both, standalone plus plugin. Most others are plugin only, so require a DAW.

I also tested Amplitube, which came "free" with my iRig, but tonewise it's far behind as Guitar Rig too, which didn't receive updates for too long.

And for home jamming ... no matter which time or room ... nothing beats an iPad with good headphones. And it's also easy to use for recording, so yes, I love it.

rockinforJesus, Bertotti and TSims1 like this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    At one point apple did anOs updatebthat basically bricked my Oreos is firebox because presonus wouldn’t do an update for it. Now many years later, last year I picked up a Antelope Audio Zen Tour. Oddly I use it more for its amps and cabs then I do for its recording and other compressors and eq’s. I can use it in Logic Garage band with my computer or stand alone. I put it in a smaller pelican case and it will almost always go on the road with me instead of my JSX Mini which was very easy to travel with, this is 1/8th the size and easier to travel with. Takes my pedals has dedicated reamping jacks and anything I have it works as an interface for. Mocs, keyboards, guitar, acoustic guitar with K&K pure westerns installed. I love it. Just another option but certainly not the cheapest option but very easy to use.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Amplitube’s Fender amp models are really good, but their business concept(to sell the Fender/whatever amps seperately) is just reeking...

13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    A further plus for BIAS (FX), where you not only find good Fender amps, but also the Gretsch Playboy, I already showed ... I absolutely love that very much, because it comes very close to this reissue:

I love these slightly dirty clean tones.

I also made a setup, where I combine this amp with a Marshall and push the Playboy with a tube screamer ... killer Rock tone.

I really love my Blackstar, but I even more love this BIAS amp arsenal. I have several guitars for different stuff to play, but I have no room for several amps, so this BIAS stuff became my personal tonechain heaven. Ok, not all of their stuff sounds really convincing, especially some effects are suboptimal, but they are constantly working on it. I think the main problem is, that BIAS was originally developed for iOS and the desktop stuff followed later.

A problem though is, that dev is not very fast, because their main focus is hardware now ... no piracy here.

Bertotti likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Anyone use ios bias as just the amp or recording, with pedals going in or micing? Or would it be easier to use another app?

15. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I have both, BIAS and BIAS FX on iPad. BFX gives you amps and effects, but I wanted BIAS Amp too, because on iOS in opposition to desktop BFX can't change cabs. And though it doesn't support IRs as the desktop version, it gives you access to the amp cloud, where I found the Playboy. Amps from BIAS, which for sure has the amp editor too, can be exported to BIAS FX.

I would recommend to start with BFX and see, if you want BIAS Amp too. The later is supported on both, iPad and iPhone, BFX is only iPad.

Regarding interfaces I recommend the iRig Pro, which has a good sound quality and supports phantom power for studio mics too. It uses the lightning port, which gives better audio quality than interfaces, that use the headphone/mic jack.

Regarding any BIAS stuff I recommend to check for the regular discounts. Oh, they are currently discounted ... 11€ for BFX and 5€ for BIAS. But I can't see the bundle price for both, because they are already installed. I checked the prices with Google.

It's also worth mentioning, that both apps have In-App Purchases, but so far I'm happy without them.

PS: For recording I use Apple's Garageband, which was preinstalled on my iPad. You can use BIAS (FX) inside Garageband instead of the Garageband amps. And you can export your songs for sure ... MIDI or complete audio.

PPS: If you find something in the cloud, that requires an In-App Purchase, you can use it even if you didn't buy the add on. But you can't use that stuff in other setups. But hey, you can change any setup and save it under an new name ;)

16. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I just want to know if I can plug a pedalboard into bias amp. And whether jamup or another of their apps can be used or a Mic input or guitar direct input. Sounds like no.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yes, you can. I just haven’t done it myself, so couldn’t tell you how to wire it up.

Henry likes this.
  18. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Still high on my Kemper. I’d better be..... need to keep the $ to like ratio in balance!

toddfan and Henry like this.
  19. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Cool. Thanks to @Ricochet and @Aymara, I just picked up the iOS $20 bundle (amp, fx, jamup ro and finaltouch). Hopefully I'll actually use it. :)

20. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Watch video tutorials on Youtube or just ask me or in the PG forum, if you have questions and I'm sure, you will use it. But I don't use Jamup and Finaltouch, so:

https://forum.positivegrid.com/

If you want to use your pegal board with BIAS, you will need to use it in front of the interface. But I prefer to use the effects in BFX, because there you can simulate an effects loop by placing effects behind the amp and some effects like chorus and reverb are available in stereo, which I really like.

Enjoy!