Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Orange Blossom Special

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by hcsterg, Jun 4, 2016.

1. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

That's a beautiful thing. You have the eyes of an artist and the brain of an engineer.

Can I make a suggestion? Would it be possible to make a switch plate that matches the pickup rings? I look at the rings and I think crazy funky weirdo MIJ mojo, and then I look at the switch plate and think Jaguar.

Sorry, that sounds negative, you have made a fantastic job.

hcsterg likes this.
  2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks !

Yes, this doesn't sound negative at all : in fact, I simply did not thought about that idea of a matching plate !

Why ? That's simple : I needed 3 switches, the Jaguar plate was available and was just matching the size of the square hole, it was metallic, so perfect for being grounded in order to provide additional shielding... Well, I did not go further : that was the right part !

A plastic rounded oblong plate engraved and painted in silver, with auto-adhesive sheilding foil at the back... Why not ? Yes... If the Jaguar plate did not existed, I think that it would have been the solution that I would have opted for.

A+!

3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
  4. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Very nice!
    Well done, I really really like it.

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks !

The pickguard is under construction and will be available at the end of July : I will post the last pictures of the completed instrument at that time, then.

Meanwhile, let's "twang" again !

A+!

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Here is the finished instrument with its "Orange Blossom special" AltuGlass pickguard :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sole remaining point to work is the pinning of the (pre-drilled) bridge when the string will reach stability.

End of the Saga !

A+!

7. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    You must be enjoying quite a feeling of accomplishment about now!

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, I hope that this rescued instrument will thank my efforts by staying stable and playable with the time passing-by... It has a good tone and stays in tune despite the use of the Bisgby : that's already good point !

A+!

9. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Stunning work! Congrats!

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Resurrection - or continuation...

The last mod done on my Orange Blossom Special (Lefty Fake Danelectro Rescue) : replacement of a poorly and quickly modified (by me, a shame !) Rocking Bar Bridge from AllParts for Custom Lefty Tru-Arc SerpenTune Low Rider SS bridge... Ordered in June 2017, it was delivered in October 2017, due to an overloaded production facility of the Tru-Arc by other non-related products.

That guitar sounds so good, so Funky, is so comfortable, stable and playable that she merited a better bridge in order to increase sustain and intonation that were poor. That's done :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my statement about that change for that custom Tru-Arc :

Tone = more consistent and powerful, slightly more brightness and evened volume between strings.

This is due to the better machining of the string slots, offreing neater contact with the strings.

Sustain = a bit better, but not tremendous. There's still a notable difference between open string and fretted strings notes decay.

I thought that the better machining of the slots would provide less string damping, but not really. So the bridge is not the culprit, conversely to what I thought : the sustain problem, though not dramatical, is still undisclosed o_O.

Intonation = great improvement due to the SerpenTune profile, that's obvious.

Note that I had to slightly mill the underneath of the treble side of the bridge, in order to be able to lower the action enough. An easy fix, by the way.

To sum up : it was worth the time and the expense : even if I am a bit disappointed about sustain that I expected to be improved more, tone is nonetheless better, and most of all intonation is met.

She's now a great looking, playing and sounding guitar :cool:, just to thank to have rescued her from trash :eek: :D !

wildeman likes this.