Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Orange Blossom Special

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by hcsterg, Jun 4, 2016.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hello All !

I announced it while ending my thread "Gretsch meets Danelectro" : another Danelectro Lefty Fake was on release, thanks to the skills of my pal Fred, which builds guitars like I build amps...

In fact, this is a rescue of an aborted / abandoned project started by somebody who left it to the singer of my band, which in turn gave it to me : "I am unable to do anything with that, so before trashing it, it thought that it would be of some interest to you..." Why not ?

The original instrument, as is, no other parts available :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a generic instrument from the late 60's, coming from Japan, that could be found under several brandnames, for example this one :

[​IMG]

Don't you find some similarities with the shape of a Danelectro DC59 ? OK, why not a lefty conversion and a Dano-look for a rescue, then ?

I took it to a starter-luthier that could paint it in the suitable color (he used to paint hot-rod cars and motorcycle tanks), but the prep he made before painting wasn't good, and he fronted problems while polishing it... Really too bad : the "Candy Orange" color was perfect, but he couldn't correct the faulty prep, so he choose to abandon the job, asking me no money for it :oops:...

Then enter my pal Fred, which offered me to try a rescue as best as possible. He corrected, touched up what he could do to make the instrument presentable while saving that nice Candy Orange. After repolishing and recoating, the result was more than acceptable :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we decided to go further... Fred build a neck with the famous "coke bottle" headstock :

[​IMG]

And some month later (part-time job), here is the result today :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But looking to that result for the 1st time, I feel that the silver engraved pickup rings that I designed and made are a somewhat big, and could be more discrete in size and look, as the routings for the pickups in the top are thinner, as you can see on the comparison pic below :

[​IMG]

I could redesign and rebuilt smaller rings, from the same material (engraved and silver-painted PMMA) or even go for white metal (maillechort)...

What's your opinion ?

A+!

russmack, T simmons, j.s.c and 6 others like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That one oozes coolness!

j.s.c and Sarah93003 like this.
  3. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
  4. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

I like it! That turned out very well.

5. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I agree the rings could be smaller. If it were mine, the rings might just turn out to be chrome.

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thank you all !

Do you feel that the pickup rings should stay as is or smaller ones would be suitable ? I am mixed about that...

A+!

7. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

That thing turned out mighty fine, I really like it as it is. Really nice work

8. fender62custom

fender62custom Friend of Fred

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
  9. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Nice! Is it hollow?

11. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    Great work, it looks fantastic!

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Personally I'd make them smaller to please my own sense of esthetics.
    But since it is a good visual characteristic for the guitar I think you should leave it.
    Anything else? :)

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks for your advices !

Yes, chrome would be even better than white-metal (maillechort), but I need to have them laser-cut in 2mm steel or brass and then chrome-plated.

You're right : that's why I am mixed up... So we didn't installed the pickups for the moment, waiting for other member's opinions / ideas / poll ?

Yes, it is an hollow body, but we added soundposts between each pickup in order to avoid AFAP Larsen effect or Squealing and strenghten the top thickness underneath around the PU routings.

What we don't know is if the body will be able to endure the string tension without warping with the time... o_Oo_Oo_O ???

A+

ZackyDog likes this.
  14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Would a heavy duty truss rod help?

It looks copper-colored. :cool:

[​IMG]

15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    The neck has indeed a double-action truss rod. For the body, installing a center block could be done, but it was too much work and moreover should have been done before finishing... Fred seems to be confident about the resistance : at least the bodu could move very slighty to take its final position, nothing more... I hope he is right : we will see !

Yes, it looks like copper, but it is a deep orange (Candy Orange) with variable color shades depending on the light exposition : that's why we preserved that nice color despite the poor underneath prep.

A+!

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Smaller rings makes the appearance "lighter", indeed... Here is an example below (in bold : reduced size) :

[​IMG]

I do not have the guitar here so I can't go further for the moment. I'll see if can go smaller, just to cover the pickup routings...

Wait and see !

A+!

17. OldCowHand

OldCowHand Country Gent

Sep 24, 2015
    Kent, England.
    For what it's worth I like it as it is and think it might lose a little coolness with more aesthetic pickup surrounds.

18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well... Maybe you're right. I will make a model and compare the look on the instrument itself.

A+!

19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Finally, we made some tests with smaller dummy rings and we couldn't find an easy and satsfactory way to set them in place, due to their reduced size vs. the pickup windows on the top :

[​IMG]

I took some additional pictures outside with the original surrounds :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sowewhere, I followed your advice, OldCowHand : For what it's worth I like it as it is and think it might lose a little coolness with more aesthetic pickup surrounds. So yes, the guitar will keep its original "a bit too big" surrounds.

I even don't know if I will add a pickguard, finally... Or maybe a transparent one...

My pal Fred will finish the luthiery job soon and after that, I'll do the final setup and wiring.

A+!

Henry, T simmons, Ando and 6 others like this.
  20. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I agree to go with as is. After the initial surprise of the bigger rings, they grow on you pretty quickly.

Looking good.