Optimal Concert Length

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    30 mins for support band 90 mins including encores for headline band..

englishman, T Bone and drmilktruck like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Lots of venues have strict end times, due to overtime regs; and for outdoor gigs, curfews and noise ordinances.

The Dead liked Deer Creek/Indy because it was the smallest place they played---20K max. Soldier Field in Chicago was over 10-0K. I personally like smaller venues as the sound is usually better, and you don't need binoculars to see the video screens.

One other thought---
    Put your damned cell phones away! It's annoying to everyone behind you, and filming vertically is just wrong!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Just want to throw this into the mix ......
    Led Zeppelin , June 10th , 1977 , Madison Square Garden ..... 3 hours ... could've been longer but it was the 70's ....
    I was there man ............

new6659, T Bone and drmilktruck like this.
  4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    McCartney plays 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours and The Beatles played 30 minutes (25 if they were in a hurry)...:D.
    I wished McCartney would have been a little easier on his aging voice because all that singing has taken it's toll on that great voice. Being 76 and doing a 3 hour show is just too much.
    A 2 hr show by anybody is plenty long enough. Most of the newer bands get old after 20 minutes...:).

thunder58 likes this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    As an aging male, the most amazing thing is that he didn't have to take a potty break!

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yep and I don't think he was wearing a bag...:D.
    Hey check out the New Ringo album - it's quite good - better than any thing Paul has done in 10 years and I'm a huge McCartney fan.

Not bad for a 79 year old drummer!!!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    drmilktruck and T Bone like this.
  7. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

90 minutes is getting to be the standard for most headlining acts I've seen in recent years. Generally no more than 1:45. This includes the encore. I'm surprised when I see an act go 2 hours or more.

Back in the 70s, first time I saw Rory Galagher, it was bitter cold outside. Band was way late due to a snow storm (beyond their control, we were lucky they made it). We were dressed for inside. Promoter must've been afraid to let us in in case he cancelled. Didn't open the doors (movie theater in East Lansing) until the band arrived (about an hour and 20 minutes after show time I think).

Rory apologized profusely, thanked us for waiting, and proceeded to burn the house down with what is still one of the 10 best shows I've ever seen. He played for a total of about 3 hours, to include an amazing acoustic set after his scorching electric set. I'll remember that one as long as I live!

8. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’m good for about an hour and twenty if you have hits. Hour thirty at the most. Ya know? I love you, but let’s hit it and get it.

larryb and drmilktruck like this.
  9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Ticketmaster recently got busted for selling most tickets to StubHub for resale... and they own StubHub..

wabash slim and Mr Swisher like this.
  10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    LOL!
    Yeah...and I want to hear more than 3 songs in that time!:rolleyes:;)

11. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Yes to all of this, with one exception: a Springsteen show would feel incomplete if it didn't go well past the three-hour mark.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  12. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I saw Springsteen's "Born In the USA" concert at Vet Stadium, Philadelphia, in the summer of '85. FOUR HOURS (non-stop IIRC). It was a blast but got a bit long.....

We saw Chuck Berry in 2011 (age 85). He played 25 minutes and it was way too long......

I've seen a LOT of Moody Blues concerts in my life.... At the start of a fairly recent one I mentioned to my wife that the M.B.'s always start ON TIME. She commented, "They are old. They have to get to bed early."

13. andreww1962

andreww1962 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Oh how I miss the 70s and 80s. These days rock shows are so scripted and contrived, backing tracks and click tracks ensure that bands can't go off script, and that last nights show is exactly the same as tonights show. I remember seeing Rod Stewart in the 80s and he was just killing it. He came out for so many encores that they ran out of songs, and actually played a tune that he'd played earlier in the set (Forever Young) to close the show.

To me rock and Roll has lost that element of danger where on any given night you might experience something truly unique and historic.

Mr Swisher likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice