Opinions on the Reverend Horton Heath 6120

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Tremolo Arm, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm Electromatic

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    I have a bad case of GAS for the G-6120 RHH.

What do owners of this savage instrument (to quote Greg Koch) think of it?

If I was to purchase, it would be used in two live bands playing classic rock / soul / funk, with a mixture of 50% clean and 50% overdriven sounds. I use a Fender Vibrolux amp and on the floor I have a mild OD, a Fuzz/Big Muff and a Marshall style drive.

I am slightly apprehensive about feedback, so would be keen to learn if/how people using overdrive and fuzz can keep their RHH from feeding back....

I currently own an Electromatic 5622T which never feeds back live but the sound and feel are not very inspiring (it has the centre block).

Thanks in advance

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I really dig the combination of "old neck" with the "modern pickups".

3. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm Electromatic

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    When you say old neck, what exactly do you mean - slim or chunky?
    Do you own one? If so how's the feedback?

4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I meant the old neck design with the western inlays and big headstock.
    I never played one but the soundpost should help at least a bit against feedback.

j.s.c and Tremolo Arm like this.
  5. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm Electromatic

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    OK, got you.
    Yes, I like the Western inlays too. I played one yesterday but I could not turn up the amp so volume was the proverbial "bedroom" and couldn't really judge the immunity to feedback.

loudnlousy likes this.
  6. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I had a RHH, never been in big troubles with feedback with the band (but never been on stage). I presume RHH + bigmuff with a gain over 3h will screeeeeaaaaammm without damping the strings.

Old neck design is cool, but big frets is cool also...
    The tone switch was surprisingly playable compare to older specs.
    The tone post is a great compromise and give resonnance of 60% of a full hollow body where the trestle is only 25% to me ears. The counterpart, is that you have to manage this at higher volume.

Moreover, that's a really great guitar, mine was a 2005 with a perfect construction, details and finish (the wood table was nicer than any SSVLO). Just add a treble bleed on master volume and put some t-shirts inside if needed and it will give what you want.

RHH Stock Setup (27).jpg

7. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm Electromatic

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    That's one sweet looking bad boy (or girl) if that's how you see it... :)
    You say "had". Why did you shift it?

8. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I absolutely love mine! I can't really speak to the feedback issue, as I don't play that loud anymore (did I just say that? Wow, back in the day I played a full Marshall stack with two Plexi heads, a 50w and a 100w, both fully cranked... in the house!).

Anyway it is a superb instrument. Exceptionally well made. The Western details are so beutiful. The neck on mine (a 2014 model I bought used) is a nice medium, lightly chunky with a soft V.

The TV Jones Classics impart an awesome sound.

As to bracing, I am confused. The Gretsch website says "Parallel Tone Bars, Trestle Bracing". But mine has Parallel Tone Bars and a sound post, there is no Trestle (I have Trestle bracing on two other Gretsches).

Anyway, I have a lot of guitars (near 40 :eek:) and the RHH may well be my favorite of the lot. Love them all, but it is at or near the top.

Lionpotato and Tremolo Arm like this.
  9. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm Electromatic

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    Great to hear that. 40 guitars? Ha - sweet. And I was worried I had 8.
    I am also confused regarding the bracing. Could it be that they quietly changed the bracing in the past few years? The one I am looking at is a 2013 model - obviously used.

T Bone likes this.
  10. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

That might be correct. That was my thought, and one reason I included the year of mine. Or, perhaps even there is an error on the web page? Possible but unlikely.

Wish I could be more help on the feedback situation. Either way, there are certainly ways to deal with it. Not sure what style you play or how cranked up it is. Obviously a solid body handles super loud easier, but people have been playing loud successfully with hollow bodies for decades. If you like it, go for it!

11. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Yes I sold it because of $$$
    I use a little part of that to buy a used 5124... not the same unplugged life as the RHH, but still a nice toy to play with.

12. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm Electromatic

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    Anyone else with a G-6120 RHH who is willing to share their owner experience?

13. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I’ve been to a few Reverend Horton Heat shows and they’re amazing. He plays everything from country to punk on that thing and feedback isn’t an issue. Extremely versatile guitar

14. Atomic

Atomic Gretschie

Oct 29, 2010
    Aurora, CO
    I have no experience with the guitar but its on my bucket list. Really, the only specific model I'm dying to have and will own some day. Get it just because I want one so bad.

Tremolo Arm likes this.
  15. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm Electromatic

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    I have no doubt that he can control feedback effectively, but so can Setzer and Rich Robinson and Billy Duffy and the lot, but we don't know what mods they have on their guitars and what other equipment / noise suppressors they use on stage. Duffy himself has admitted he used to stuff his old Falcon with T-shirts... Jim Heath says he gets his dirt form the amp, but actually he has a stereo rig - one dimed amp and one clean amp with a Blues Driver in front of it.
    These players also play on big(ger)stages so distance from the amp helps I suppose. I am more interested to know how the guitar feels and reacts in common mortals' hands such as ours... with common equipment and close distance from the amp (which is what you would have in a standard pub / small music venue) - i.e. venues us mortals would normally play in.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  16. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

What amp are you going to be playing it through? If it is one I happen to have, I will test it out in the living room.

17. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm Electromatic

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    I have a Fender 68 Custom Vibrolux, which I run clean. I get most of my dirt from pedals - OD and fuzz.

18. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Ah. Don't have one (wish I did). Have a 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, a Blues Deluxe and a 59 Bassman LTD, clos ee's st I xan come. Closest in sound probably the DRRI. Any of these be any help?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  19. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm Electromatic

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    Yeah. Any clean Fender with a dirt box in front will do it. If you can run that at a decent (gig) volume that would be great. Thanks

T Bone likes this.
  20. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I live alone, can play as loud as I want (the neighbors may disagree, but it will be short lived). Will do it tonight or tomorrow. Right now I have a 90 mile drive each way to go pick up my repaired Martin Acoustic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice