Opinions on a new amp? Vox AC10C1

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by andreww1962, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Gretschie

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    As BatmansGretsch notes above, the declared watts is misleading. The AC30 is like a 100W music power; the AC15 is like 50 watt music power; and the 10AC is more like a 35 watt music power. The reason I went for the AC15 was it was hand wired and the speaker did a great job of acoustic tones - very clean. In addition to my Gretsch guitars, I have a Maton guitar which sounds superb with this amp.

BatmansGretsch and unknown fan like this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Hi Andrew

What do you call decent gain?
    AC10 has what I'd call light overdrive only when you crank it.
    Can you push it past 2 o'clock on the dials where you live?

It's good clean but does not have Vox AC chime tones cos of the different speaker it uses from the AC15 or AC30. AC10 doesn't have a line out, headphones out or a loop.
    It doesn't have Top Boost either like AC15 and AC30.
    In the EQ section all you get is bass and treble - no mids or presence.
    At 27 lbs it's also amazingly heavy for a 10 watter.

What's your $$ budget?
    There's much better alternatives in the low watt tube range imo :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
  4. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Gretschie

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Agree with Waxhead about the differences, except my AC15 doesn't have a headphone socket - unless it is hidden somewhere I have not discovered! This is the reason why I mentioned the discounted price I got on the AC15 - better value for money - still a heavy thing thus the small trolley.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Waxy, the AC10 has a master volume and when you dime the preamp it gets pretty raunchy.

G5422T and unknown fan like this.
  6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    With respect, and not trying to be disagreeable but I think they sound like the power ratings they are. I have an AC30 and several other 4xEL84 amps, all rated at 30 watts. They are all about the same volume and none are as loud as my 45w Bassmans, Bassmasters or Super Reverb. That said, they're still damn loud.

I sold my AC15s, two regular ones and one HW model. They all sounded heavenly but weighed a ton and wouldn't keep up to a moderate drummer on stage, yet my 12-15W Princetons do with a 12" Emi Legend.

I bought my AC10 as a little home amp never intending to gig it. The Celestion VX10 speaker it comes with is rated at 95db efficiency - the Red Fang is 102.2 db. Given that a doubling of power gives 3 db more the Red Fang represents a huge increase in percieved loudness. My experience was that the Red Fang increased the apparent volume level to where the little amp could keep up to a moderate drummer playing classic rock music.

Just my two cents but it is based upon actually doing it.

Either way, the AC10 punches way above its weight.

TW4990, Robbie, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I keeping reading great things about this amp. If it fits, I would install a 10" Celestion Gold (CG10) and some JJ EL84 power tubes and a JJ ECC803s preamp tubes.

upload_2019-12-9_21-11-21.jpeg

You can remove the bell cover from the CG10 to make it less deep/thick, but I'm not sure how much room you have between the speaker and where the tubes are situated. Otherwise, as Tony suggested, the 10" Eminence Red Fang (alnico) may be a decent alternative:

upload_2019-12-9_21-19-50.png

Waxhead likes this.
  8. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Yessir Zacky! I tried the Celestion Gold (I have two in my Matchless) and it was very sweet - maybe 5% better than the RF10 but four times the price, at least in Canada. Great speakers and yes, JJs are the best tubes I tried.

ZackyDog likes this.
  9. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I’ve got an AC15 and only play at home. It is perfect for rockabilly/early rock n roll/blues, stuff I like to play. To me, Vox and Gretsch are like peanut butter and jelly; love and marriage; wine and cheese; fish and rice. They were made to go together.

G5422T and ZackyDog like this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah I've played em :)
    One man's raunchy is another man's light overdrive :D

Tony65x55 and ZackyDog like this.
  11. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    I want one! I want this more than the ac15 thy sound better in demos I have heard. I have enough amps but this is more portable

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah what I meant is you can't switch from normal mode to top boost
    And it doesn't sound like the top boost in AC30 imo.
    Still sounds good just different to AC30 is all.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    G5422T and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  13. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Vox + Gretsch = perfection in my book.
    My brother had an AC10 C1 & I straight away fell in love with the tones this thing produced.
    I’ve recently got myself a Vox AC15 C2 for gigging.
    I’d definitely say go for it!!!

ZackyDog and G5422T like this.
  14. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Electromatic

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    I believe what I am trying to describe is something like this... A 100W clean channel on a high gain amp is about the same volume as a AC30's clean channel because of the efficiency. That's with the gain down on the 100W for as clean a tone as possible.

Let me put this another way. Why doesn't Vox make an AC60 or AC100 combo series? I know there is an old vintage Vox AC100 head around, but why not a 100W combo like many other brands? I think this is because the AC30 is already a really loud amp.

TW4990 and Tony65x55 like this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's a video comparing features on an AC30 to a Morgan AC20.
    The Morgan is a modern clone of a vintage AC30 (not a chinese made re-issue).
    It's an example of how modern amps can be made that improve on vintage amps.

I had opportunity to play one of these Morgans recently and thought it sounded equally great as a vintage AC30 and better than any of the re-issues. It also has a lot more features making it more versatile and it's much lighter of course. It's 20w max with power scaling which allows you to dial in anywhere between 1 and 20w. So it's great for home use and gigging.

If I wanted Vox tones I would choose this Morgan AC20 over a Vox AC10, 15 or 30 myself :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Mesa Boogie TA-15 is another clone that's a better option than AC re-issues imo.
    On it's green channel it sounds equally great as a vintage AC30 imo.
    But it also does great Marshall tones on the red channel and classic Boogie tones in H2 mode.
    It has power scaling at 5, 15 or 25 watts.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lastly, this little Vox MV50 AC with Nu-tube sounds as good as an AC10 or 15 re-issue imo when paired with a Celestion alnico speaker. I have one of these babies as a gigging back up and home use amp. Its does 50, 25 or 12 watts depending on what ohm speaker you connect to it. It has more gain at the top end than AC10 or 15 also.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    BatmansGretsch, Henry and Trash Kidd like this.
  16. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Gretschie

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep, agree with you here. In the amp world there is a distinction between "music power" and the "amp rating" and of course there is a difference depending upon the ohm rating of the speaker.

By the way, a "Chinese" build should not be seen as a put down in the world of electronics. For example, arguably the best made CD/DVD player is that produced by Oppo.

BatmansGretsch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice