Opinion: Best Live Record

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by calebaaron666, May 13, 2020.

1. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    [​IMG]

2. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
  3. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    No one has mentioned The Ventures, Live in Japan '65? It's like Live at Leeds but with a steady tempo.

4. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Dare I mention Europe 72? Ironically, one can now find several albums by country from that tour and many of them are spectacular.

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 11.42.41.png

5. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I love this one just for the photo alone! Awesome guitar shot, awesome Brian shot!

6. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Allman Bros, Fillmore East.
    Clapton, Hyde Park '97

7. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Or Hal David. :)

ramjac likes this.
  8. richopp

richopp Electromatic

Feb 9, 2009
    Florida
    Fillmore had the best back-to-back live guitar solos EVER on Stormy Monday...IMHO, anyway. How Duane and Dickey were able to play 2 solos that brilliant (totally out of their heads, as we used to say) live is truly amazing even though they were infinitely talented and worked hard. DOING it is something else, and they sure did!

I realize most real musicians (I am not one) can copy these note-for-note and probably even get the identical sounds, but these guys made these up live on the spot. To me, that is always the part I respect and admire the most.

AMAZING!

Maxadur and stevo like this.
  9. Loved this soundtrack, and the double live, 'the name of this band is talking heads'...

10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's really it and that is exactly why I love Fillmore so much. I struggle to duplicate Alvin Lee playing the intro to Going Home. And yet he ripped it out on stage while he was high as a kite at Woodstock. I have to stop kidding myself. I'm just not that special...

Freshy, Maxadur and new6659 like this.
  11. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    I don't know if I'd consider Live at Cook County B.B.'s best album per se, although it's one of his best, but I also don't really think of him as much of an album artist either, since so much of his studio stuff was repackaging of singles. But, B.B. King Sings Spirituals is sadly underrated, IMO. B.B. doesn't get nearly as much credit for his talent as a vocalist as he should.

wabash slim likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I was fortunate enough to work B B King twice. The last time, not long before he passed, he was in a wheelchair. His guys rolled him up the ramp to the stage, then when it was time to play, they rolled him to the edge of the curtain where he'd walk out. As he slowly walked onto the stage, I mentioned to his aide that I was saddened to see anyone in a wheelchair. His reply, "Oh, he ain't hurtin'---he's just lazy."
    He went and played for two hours. His band was getting restless ("C'mon, BB! We need to go!") and only expected to play an hour. Afterwards, he signed autographs and talked to fans in his bus for another two hours. He treated his fans well.

Zeek, new6659 and BohemianLikeMe like this.
  13. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    That sounds like when I saw him in the early 2000s. :D He was sitting in a chair the entire set only standing up for solos. And yeah, he also played way over the time limit (he was the headliner), but everyone was pretty much thrilled to see him do it. My big memory as a teenage punk rocker who was really into the blues was just awe at seeing a guy both so in command of his gifts and also so into playing. Really a life changer.

Ray Charles was the same way when I saw him in the 90s out at Hartwood Acres near Pittsburgh. The guys who came up on the chittlin' circuit usually put on great shows, even when you'd think old age would have made that idea impossible. Those two might weirdly have been the most formative shows of my life, even though I've done lots of projects that are removed from that blues/r'n'b framework-- it's hard not to walk away from those sorts of concerts changed in some profound way.

Also Buckwheat Zydeco was another early teenage revelation after seeing him in the 90s. I was bummed that I stumbled into Clifton Chenier a little too late to see him play.

wabash slim likes this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

I saw Buddy Guy a couple of years ago and it was a revelation. At 81, he was as energetic and vital as anyone. Really mesmerizing showmanship. And I went into it knowing nothing about his music. I was given the tickets by somebody who couldn't make the show and I took my daughter. I was expecting pretty standard modern blues, which I usually find kind of boring. His playing is anything but. I've never really heard anything like it. He has a totally unique dissonant and polytonal style, nothing like any blues guitar I'd heard before. In later reading about him, I found that evidently his earlier career was really hampered by the fact that his label refused to let him play in his live style on records. Leonard Chess once described his playing as "just making noise." I can see how unfamiliar it must have sounded 60 years ago, but I loved it.

BohemianLikeMe and wabash slim like this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Don’t know if it was released on record, but SRV Live at el Mocambo is my favorite performance.

Of course Stevie’s respectfully conjuring up a little Jimi in the mix too.

16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I got to work a SRV gig on his first national tour. I spent the show 15 feet from him offstage, hanging out with his guitar tech. My ears are still ringing from those Dumbles.

Merc likes this.
  17. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    I caught him quite a few times when I lived in Chicago and he was always a blast. Definitely a fun player to watch. And yeah, those Chess sides are way ahead of their time-- kind

Scariest bluesman I ever saw was T-Model Ford. Dude just felt tough, for the lack of a better term. You could tell he'd lived a very hard life and would do you some real harm if you messed with him. Great show, though.

18. afire

afire Country Gent

Howlin' Wolf looks like a man you would not want to mess with, although he was evidently a very nice and likable guy.

BohemianLikeMe likes this.
  19. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    It's really hard to name one ... I'd have a dozen or so.

But ... but ... I try ... I really love the recording of the 1975 Asbury Park Concert of Black Sabbath (that's the one I, hesitatingly and somehow in constant ambivalence ... bought as .mp3-download), as it is in my opinion their best era (mid-seventies), the selection of songs is great and broader than in earlier ones and the band wasn't, like, tired of each other and stuff.

Just looking through here lets me find a lot of other great live albums...

Anyway - that one I really like ... and I'll look for a .wav or .flac version, too, as .mp3 is just ... ah, don't wanna derail it. It is something, somehow and else is something else, ... nicht wahr...

BohemianLikeMe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice