Open or closed tuners

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Bertotti, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I am a huge fan of open geared tuners. I do have closed tuners on some of my guitars but wish they were all open geared tuners. I do not change them because I see no current functional reason to do so and it costs money I would rather spend on more gear or bills not necessarily in that order. But I am now wondering why we even have closed back tuners. Was there some functional reason they were made originally? Or was it just for the looks? I know a lot of people like closed over open for the looks alone.

Functionally I like the opens because I can clean and lube them easily and looks, I just like seeing the gears! I would love to have a mini-mill so I could make my own. Something you could easily swap piece into and out of for different ratios, designs, shaft length, the works but I dream now.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I like the look of open back tuners but generally find life too short to clean crud from the cogs.

3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I installed a pair of Sta-Tite Grovers on my G400 to be more "vintage period correct", if I can say so...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Otherwise, I systematically opt for sealed-lubricated gear tuners : Gotoh, Grover, Kluson.

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

new6659, Bertotti and dmunson like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice