Only One Blockbuster Video Store Left

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Mar 9, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    After the closure of a store in Australia, the last Blockbuster Video hangs on in Bend, OR.

Per Wikipedia: At its peak in 2004, Blockbuster employed 84,300 people worldwide, including about 58,500 in the United States and about 25,800 in other countries, and had 9,094 stores in total, with more than 4,500 of these in the US.

[​IMG]

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/business/last-blockbuster-store.html

Alberta_Slim, dak55 and calebaaron666 like this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    As much as I did not like Blockbuster in the days of movie rental (i always preferred the mom & pop video stores), i truly hope this one lasts. It probably won’t.
    I so miss renting movies from a video store. It was such an important part of my life. In Portland Maine we had VIDEOPORT. It was the BEST video store in New england. They had a giant horror section, an Incredibly Strange Film section, and killer music video section, foriegn, action, drama, thriller/noir etc.
    Also, it’s where I met and fell in love with my woman. She worked there for 15 years. I asked her out while she was renting me videos after having a crush on her for 10+ years.
    So anyway, I miss video stores, and I kinda hate these modern times of streaming and demand. It cheapens the whole experience.
    That being said, Amazon Prime has some great trashy movies ;)

3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Heard about this on the radio the other day . I probably still have my Blockbuster Card somewhere too

4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I never was a member of Blockbuster but did belong to Mr. Movies (who went out of business shortly after I paid my yearly fee! :mad:) and then Hollywood Video, who are also gone.

thunder58 likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We have a Family Video 1/2 mile up the street from us. They do great business. My daughter worked there for awhile. Family Video is a family owned chain, usually own the buildings/strip mall they're in and make money renting out the other storefronts as well. There's quite a few going strong in the Midwest. I don't have HBO or any of that, and streaming services are pricey as well, so the occasional rental is the best way for me to catch a newish movie. I rarely go to the theaters anymore due to the insane expense of it all, and the rude patrons with cell phones.

I'm a retired IATSE stagehand/projectionist. Worked at a drive in theater with my Mom and Uncle as a kid, so, I'm well versed in the industry.

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    I loved the video store we had in Tucson in the '80's. I even dated a couple of the salesgirls. ;)

drmilktruck and calebaaron666 like this.
  7. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I miss the days of video stores. We had Blockbuster but the store a couple blocks from me when I was a teen was Jumbo Video.

We'd get a buzz going, go to the store, munch on free popcorn then look for cheesy horror movies or really badly dubbed Japanese martial arts movies and just giggle and laugh all night.

8. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I worked at Blockbuster during high school. I still have my Blockbuster account memorized. Can spout it out at Will on demand.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Portland, Oregon, still has the largest known collection of dvds and blue ray in the US: Movie Madness!
    https://moviemadness.org/

drmilktruck and calebaaron666 like this.
  10. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    You guys are so lucky! I love that there are some cool independent videostores still rocking!

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Video rentals used to be the plaque over here.
    They are all gone by now.
    Now there are dozends and dozends of kebab-houses and arab fruit and vegetable shops that inherited this title.

12. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I have found some very good kebab in Germany, France and Italy. None to be found here.

13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Delicious food. But it really whiped out any local fast food restaurants. Totally gone. It is an invasion. No more diversity over here. Asian, German, Greek, Italian. There used to be many delicous offerings. They are now the minority.
    As most of us suspect over here the reason is not taste but organized crime. I do not want to drag this into a political disscusion...

14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I have fond memories of Blockbuster in the 80's. It was also a source of frustration, because in order to get a good movie, we had to get it Friday night. Since we often didn't get a chance to watch it until Saturday night, I would often rush to Blockbuster right after watching the movie to get it turned in before they closed. My ex-wife hated having to pay the late fees. It kind of wrecked a nice relaxing night together. Streaming services are sooo much better.

section2 likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I also have fond memories if Blockbuster, all the way back to renting video games on grade school with my brother and binging all weekend.

I was actually a Blockbuster by mail subscriber, I preferred it over Netflix as you also had free in store rentals as well as the 3 mailed DVDs, nice when you want a movie NOW. But once Netflix went online and the local BBs closed, it wasn't competitive at all.

RIP, Blockbuster. You made some people rich. Gave lots of youths their first job. And you had great hours!

LivingMyDream and drmilktruck like this.
  16. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Wow! Havn’t seen a Blockbuster here in the UK for many years! Sure they’re all gone..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  17. Highroller

Highroller Gretschie

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Ha! I'm gonna be in Bend in a few weeks. I'll have to drop by... Maybe they finally got Happy Gilmore in!

Gretschtim1 and drmilktruck like this.
  18. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I was reading something about a video chain that was still left because it mainly served customers in more rural places where streaming and high speed internet connections are few and far between as is cable.... think it was Family Video

19. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It doesn't apply here. We've got two main cable companies, including fiber, a couple of smaller internet providers, a major university, and 250K people in the county.

I like Family Video because, 1. it's close; 2, it's inexpensive; 3, I don't stream or have HBO/Showtime/etc., and I'd rather rent a DVD rather than buy one, as many movies are a "watch once" for me.

20. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm surprised Blockbuster isn't still solvent just drawing from the late fees I paid over the years.

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice