Join Gretsch-Talk Today

One meg pots with Filters?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Uncle Daddy, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    So I snaffled a couple of 1 meg volume pots to go in my tone-switch 6120. Would it be better to change just the master volume, or the individual pots, or both?

Looking to sparkle up the lower register if possible. The TV classics are ok on the plain strings but the wound ones sound like a piano. One with a mattress stuffed in the top!

2. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I just (last night) replaced the one pot in the Billy Bo project with a 1 meg instead of the 500K to try and de-muffle the pickups. I have to say, it made just about zero difference. The neck pickup sounds sounds like my SG with the tone knob at 90%.
    These are power'trons though. Never been so disappointed with a pickup lol.
    Bridge change next.

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  3. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Have you tried pure nickel strings? Gibson Vintage Reissue with hex core is what I use on my Falcon with TVJ Classics and it's a huge improvement over nickel plated steel.

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I currently use Dr Blues Hi-Beams. Tried most things by now, but just can't get that snap that I like from the low end.

5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    And that's a BAD thing?? lol Alot of us have been chasing that with Filters for YEARS!

Yeah.... THAT's what Filters sound like on the low strings. The Setzer Signature pickups help, but really the Filters will never get that, and if you achieve it with amp EQ, the plain strings sound like a blizzard of nails.

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    So what's the answer?!!
    My Anni is fitted with TVJ Powertrons and the wound strings sound underpowered and restrained without real bite a bit like Uncle Daddy describes no matter how close I get the pickups to the bass strings.
    The same is true of my 5422 and I keep being told it's all about pup positioning but I just can't get it to sound how I expect them to sound!
    I'm really just looking for the response we know from the intro to George's picked solo on "All My Loving". Those were filters weren't they?!
    Baffled!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  7. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    With Filters, there is no answer. The Setzer Sigs, somehow, fair better at "taking the mattress off the wound strings" than all the other Filters, but that's just not how Filters sound. It's the nature of the beast. For piano-like lows, you'll need a single-coil Dyna/T-Armond, imo.

JHowdy likes this.
  8. Joey L

Joey L Gretschie

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    I have TV Classics on my 5420 and tried a set of Thomastick Round wound 11s Bee Bop BB 111. These are expensive but last much longer than just about any other strings I've used. The tone is very clear and more acoustic sounding with plenty of snap on the Lower round wound strings. I also found it helps to raise the base side of both pick ups if you want deeper , snappier tone. It took me a while to balance the pick ups as wells the poles ( use the Setzer pole height recommendation which pretty much follows the radius of the neck) . But it's all a personal thing.

9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    UD, it seems to me that you're a single coil kinda guy, but you can't resist trying to change the nature of filters. Perhaps resistance is futile? :)

JHowdy, ruger9 and Uncle Daddy like this.
  10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    You might be right. I sold no end of guitars with Filters. I think I was spoiled by my EC model, which is now gone, by the way. Just couldn't live with all that cowboy clutter in the end.

11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Maybe a dyna and a P90 on a 'regular' 6120 is the answer?

12. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Been thinking along the same lines. Tavo's pink Neil Armstrong has got me going, and I have one in the gunsight.

13. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I've got TV Setzers and they're plenty bright. With regular classics, a Brain pedal will help brighten and punch things up significantly. Also try raising the bass side and perhaps experiment with the pole height. After that, if you're not satisfied, I can suggest the TV Jones Setzers for a brighter experience that still retains the filtertron sound.

As for the pots, try taking the two pickup volume pots out of the circuit. Not just with jumpers, but actually wire around them and see what you get. This would be the brightest you'll get. If that's not bright enough, going to 1 Meg pots won't help.

14. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    They have a round core, so a soft and not a punchy low end, which requires hex core ... at least in my opinion.

The Gibson VR have a hex core and sound fantastic on my Falcon with TVJ Classics, but maybe it the aluminum True-Arc, which delivers the fine-tuning? But without the GVR strings, this Falcon is just too bright, so my guess is, it's mainly these strings, that give me the sound I want from this guitar.

PS: But maybe you just want a bass, that can only be delivered by Dynasonics? Or maybe it's the amp? I use a Blackstar HT5-R, that has more of a Marshall tone, than anything else.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  15. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario

You have to change ALL the pots (volume and tone) or it won't make any difference. If you think about it, you'll understand what I mean. Even then, you'll mostly hear the difference when the pot is wide open.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a push-pull to kill the independent volumes with a TV Classic neck and HS bridge--it's not going to change the charm that is a Filter, including the sometimes farty low wound strings. A 1-meg in either situation you asked will be comparable to my pot kill switch. Changing all the pots to 1-meg will be like running a Hot Rod circuit.

Nothing can do right to those low notes like a single coil does, as others have said. One thing I do to all my neck Filter pickups is drop the wound string side and bring up half a row of pole pieces (or both on the wound side). It helps a bit.

17. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It only has the one pot, so....

18. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    I see... sorry I should have read more carefully. When I installed 1 meg pots in my 6120DE, I did notice a difference, but that's not a filtertron guitar...

19. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Should be his Country Gent on that so yes Filters.

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Bit more of an extreme solution would be add a piezo system such as LR Baggs T-Bridge and X-Control. Blend in a bit of the piezo and it'll snap for you.