One man's trash...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Flouswa, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

can sometimes be a treasure. But then there's the reverse of that.

I was looking online just out of sheer curiosity to see what was out there as far as Fender Sonoran's. These guitars retailed for $350. I found a blue one that someone had not only custom painted with a "surf" sort of design (and not very well), but then in the description, they said it had a "small crack in the clear coat."
    [​IMG]

I guess everyone's definition of small is different? They are asking $300 for this guitar. Nuts.

I'm sure it probably still plays okay, but $300 for it is way too much to me with that much damage.

Ricochet and blueruins like this.
  2. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Ha! I’ve picked up brand new Sonorans for cheaper than that:)

Flouswa likes this.
  3. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    I had the opposite experience just under a year ago. A near pristine Dano DC59 with a lot of 'perceived problems' that turned out to be a combination of exaggeration and incompetence.
    Cost me half what it was worth.

blueruins and Flouswa like this.
  4. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Exactly. I paid $200 for mine.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Some people... are either ignorant, or very opportunistic, or maybe both.

I just responded to an ad for a Strat in parts. I could see they were good parts, Fender body and Warmoth neck, and for a decent price. I asked for better pics and about his claim the Warmoth neck used to be €600EU new.

His reply was he didn't have any pics(ok, maybe it was storage), and gave me a story how the neck was practically new, a custom Warmoth order from the US, amounting to €600 with shipping and tax.

Now the funny thing was even the lousy pics showed dimples in the frets, a '97 stamp production date(he shoulda sold it as vintage LOL) in the heel, and none of the specs were a custom feature for Warmoth except the neck profile(add a whopping $35 bucks over a $185 neck at most).

I immediately told him I had lost interest, and wished him GLWTS.

Too bad, I could have haggled a bit and bought it, and possibly would have ended up with a steal of a deal. But if someone is trying to give you the runaround(either out of ignorance or something else), you should be prepared to walk, no matter how good the deal is.

blueruins likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There's always the attitude that "my stuff is the best and yours is junk" in a lot of sales. I've always laughed at the notion that "it's worth XXXX to a collector". Just find a collector willing to spend that amount when you need it. A lot of it is One Upsmanship. I guess trying to make yourself look better at another's expense is just inflated ego. I don't fault anyone trying to get top dollar on a sale. Lying is another thing.

As always, Caveat Emptor.

pmac11, Flouswa, Ricochet and 2 others like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Flo , I have a Pa. Lottery scratch off ticket that hit for 3 million . Send me $500 , make it cash , and we'll split the ticket . I'll PM you my address ...:p

8. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ...and then there's that bridge in Brooklyn I'm selling too . Easy money now that there's EZPass

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    5120mantis likes this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    All Joke's aside . I'm sure that " small " crack has further deep rooted problems . Good move , stay away

Les Pedals likes this.
  10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Once I know someone is lying to me I walk...but not before I get try one outrageous low ball hopefully insulting offer.

Ricochet likes this.
  11. afire

afire Country Gent

Well, it is a very small crack if you're talking width and depth. The problem is that you are focusing too much on the length. ;)

blueruins and Flouswa like this.
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

The biggest question is how the crack got there. Depnding on the answer, it's either not a big deal, or it could be a very big deal.

Flouswa likes this.
  13. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

My thoughts exactly. Since I already own one of these myself and have banged it around a few times, it really does make me wonder just what the heck they did to put a crack in it like that!

LivingMyDream likes this.
  14. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    maybe the seller was on Crack?

Flouswa likes this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I bought a Gretsch Clipper with light cracks in the finish for next to nothing and sold it for three times as much as i paid for to a very hapy man.

...whish that I kept it.

16. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Yep, been there, done that myself. Fortunately, I've never had any real damage, only a few minor dings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice