One Guitar. One Amp. One Pedal.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Mar 14, 2019.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    It’s one of my favorite movies of all time. But I’m a low budget kinda guy.
    Any movie that opens with a blacked out screen and a disembodied (in more ways than one) voice saying “let me die... please let me die...” has to be a masterpiece.

Alberta_Slim, pmac11 and drmilktruck like this.
  2. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    I owe a new amp day post I picked up something cool a week ago, but I’m taking my 50’s tribute Les Paul, Nau Engineering tweed deluxe, and a Mystery Brain.

G5422T and drmilktruck like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Is this a pick from what we already have deal or can we think outside the box and pick a dream list?

Of what I have I could live with any of my three top guitars, anyone is fine with me. MIM Strat with overwound tex mex pups, CIJ Strat with 1st gen hot noiseless pups, or my Gretsch Broadway Jade penguin. If I had to pick one of them it would vary on the day which it would be. Of amps I have a few I would probably pick my first, A Peavey Triple XXX Super Forty, I can dial it in with low volume and be happy with the sound. I can go from mild just barely breaking up to screaming metal distortion and almost anything in between. And my one pedal would be my Mystery Brain it would be needed to vary the tones form my amp at low volumes.

If its a Dream List well it would be my guitar would be a Gretsch, with Hilos or T'armonds, mud switch master volume individual volume, G brand Orange western Falcon, I don't know if that's ever been made. I have not played a lot of different amps but if the Profiler really is as good in person with all sorts of profiles built in I would pick it with the profiles I wanted, but it really does need to sound and react like a tube amp 100%, if not Probably a Mesa Mark five 35 with a nice cab, and again with the Mystery Brain.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Squier '50s CV Tele, Laney LX20 with speaker upgrade, Digitech pitchfork.

Offensively cheap stuff, most fun I ever had, legally.

loudnlousy, Robbie, LongJohn and 3 others like this.
  6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    My perfect rig!!! '72 Tele Deluxe>Channel switch pedal>Kustom '36 Coupe

apg.jpg

7. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Swart AST Master (which already has reverb and tremolo onboard)

My #1, 1993 American Std. Tele with "vintage hot" pickups

A delay... either the Carbon Copy Deluxe or maybe the Adineko

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Not a Vox - it's THIS
    http://mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/transatlantic-series/transatlantic-ta-30/index.html
    Does great Vox tones just for starters.
    if you want tremolo get a pedal - a waste of space on an amp imo :)

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Am I still allowed an acoustic or does this take its place as well? If I have to pick one guitar period forever it is definitely the Martin 000-18 GE with 1937 sunburst. I would sell every piece of gear I have including drums keys etc to keep it. I would give up my laptop, cell phone video games, and internet connectivity to keep it. If I could have only one nonessential personal effect it would be this guitar. But for my family, if needed I would sell it. No misc item is worth putting over family.

Alberta_Slim and larryb like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    drmilktruck and Waxhead like this.
  11. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    One bourbon, one scotch, one beer.:)
    IMG_20141011_191206_edit.jpg
    With these you don't need a pedal. Just a Master Volume. ;)

new6659, G5422T, dafreeze and 2 others like this.
  12. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    As much as I want to say I would use my Gretsch I just can't do it for an all purpose guitar to cover every genre that we play.

For me:
    My American Strat
    My '65 Twin Reverb reissue
    Fulltone OCD Overdrive

new6659, G5422T and drmilktruck like this.
  13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    G 6119-1959 with a pair of Duo-Trons, Stanley Blue Nebula (Plate Reverb, various Delays) and my Winfield Tremor.

The G 6119 has the classic Gretsch sound in abundance. With the Blue Nebula, I can setup a Surf sound using the Plate Reverb emulation and a great Chet Atkins slapback using the Tape Delay emulation and a touch of Plate Reverb. The amp gives me basically the same circuit as that Chris Stapleton Brownface Princeton, which is a nice clean sound with a balanced timbre.

LivingMyDream, G5422T and drmilktruck like this.
  14. P2gee

P2gee Electromatic

Dec 19, 2018
    Texas
    Man the guitar for me is tough....I have about a 3 or 4 way tie for the one I would bring, I guess the new 5420t does a pretty good job of covering the tones I like to play. Amp would be my 1967 Pro Reverb. Not much of a pedal guy but I guess EH Oceans 11 would do me.

15. diamoroso

diamoroso Gretschie

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Fender Am Pro Jaguar through Twin Reverb, and some overdrive pedal. Still searching for my perfect overdrive, so I'll leave that unnamed for now.

Tony65x55, G5422T and drmilktruck like this.
  16. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    My amp is obvious, my AC30.... which comes with the footswitch for the built in Voc reverb/trem so my pedal is my Keeley 1962x OD.

My guitar... hmmm... yep, definitely my MIK Epihone Sheraton II. Still the best guitar I've owned, or held in my hands for that matter. I love my other guitars but none have the versatility I get with my Epi.

new6659, pmac11, G5422T and 1 other person like this.
  17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Princeton Reverb 65
    Chorus, the only pedal on in my pic
    MiM Tele with Lollar Charlie Christian pickup

90522A0E-3021-41CF-9222-752486A5EE94.jpeg 62F8D253-AB6A-49B1-ADF9-D37B4EC5CEB5.jpeg

18. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Dyna’d White Falcon, VOX AC-15, Nocturne Mystery Brain

No surprises here. Quick tally shows Big body’d Filtered GreTschs, Fender amps and Delays dominate

Out of the 42 entries I noted [I chucked most from one waffler who just couldn’t make up his mind and became the lone MartinMan...and it’s not Thunder who became the lone Jimi Page worshiper... not that there’s anything wrong with that :) ]

22 GreTsch, 17 of which are hollow/semi

12 Fenders, 6 Teles, 5 Strats and a Jag (MartinMans entry would’ve tied up the Strats with Tele’s...see what waffling does?)

6 Gibson/Epi

20 Fender or clone amps

3 VOX amps

22 Delay/reverb

6 OD’s

In summary;

32 Gun Salute to Leo Fender

23 Gun Salute to Fred GreTsch

9 Gun Salute to Tavo Vega, the Greatest Living Gear Legend on GreTsch Talk and his Nocturne pedals, in particular the Mystery Brain, the most coveted pedal of them all

note, this tally took me about an hour so any poor slob who posted within was utterly and completely, if not affectionally, ignored

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  19. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

One surprise is I’m the lone Falcon coveter so I get to post up my most played Princess, a lovely 6136DS. She is Big, Sweet, Clean and Mean. HW AC-15 w/Blue and Nocturne Magical Mystery Brain

If there can be only one...

Honorable mention to my Peterson StroboStomp2, my most operated pedal by far...Magical Mystery Brain has been operated only once...when I turned it on a few months ago

5AAF3899-122C-4B34-9A72-C110D614D08E.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  20. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Disclaimer; I’m no Tavo suckup. No brag, just fact. (but if he chose to send me a t-shirt, I wear a large)

Merc, T Bone, pmac11 and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice