One Control BJF-S66...New SS Amp Design

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by blueruins, Jun 25, 2019.

1. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA

I've become a fan of the genius pedal designer, Bjorn Juhl, and was excited to see this in my digging around tonight. Bjorn is really known for the tube-like responsiveness of his designs and I've come to appreciate his overall sense of tone. I just jive with the frequencies he favors in many of his builds; they feel very musical to me.
    A lot of folks here enjoy their solid-state amps (especially for backup) and this looks like a solid contender for a reliable alternative.
    For a moment I got pretty excited and thought that maybe I was about to be convinced to buy an amp with no tubes. I like Bjorn's tones and I think it looks fantastic!
    The demo sounds really nice but not quite tube amp nice to me. There is just something about the transient response that seems too quick and it's got that stiff emphasis in the high end that I always hear...the same thing that bothered me in my old Music Man amps.
    It did seem to me to sound really good when he switched to humbuckers though (@2:30 in). Warmed up the tone and you can really hear that it's a dynamic amp.
    It might be just the thing for someone out there in Gretsch-Talk land? I certainly wouldn't refuse one, sounds pretty killer.
    $599 List.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    pmac11 and Ricochet like this.
  2. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
  3. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA

One more...sounds best in this one IMO.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Impressive...

What do you make of this Smart Belle? I almost got one...

pmac11 likes this.
  5. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Those are great sounding in the demos. I could definitely be fooled by the Smart Belle.
    I would say that the BJF seemed to have a bit more range of low to mid overdrive and sweeter harmonic focus but the Smart Belle sounded a lot less compressed and rounder in the clean tone.
    That SB Marshall sound is really good! Maybe a little less girth than the real thing but I don’t think I would notice at all in context. It actually sounds better than a lot of high gain tube amps.
    I don’t really play much distortion so it wouldn’t be a great match for me but I think it seems a really good amp.

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I think the Smart Belle was modeled after a Dumble(it has a Rock/Jazz switch), but since Lance Keltner is the co-owner(with Lee Jackson) and a known Marshall aficionado I suspect he put a bit of that Marshall grit in there.

blueruins likes this.
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    That sounded terrific with that white Tele w/the neck bucker.

You’re right too - I’ve found humbuckers generally make SS AND modeling amps sound better. You almost need to bring that body in from the beginning. Cool vid.

blueruins likes this.
  8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    The other thing I noticed from both amps in clean mode is that the low end doesn’t have the same kick as a tube amp. There is a huge range of great things in there but that somewhat scritchy top and weaker punch below are a noticeable difference from tubes.
    It’s always hard to tell because there is something about the organic nature of tube compression that is reactive to the volume of your amp.
    Solid State tries to replicate that and to me it sounds strange when the volume doesn’t match the harmonic content.
    Modeling amps have the same incongruity for me. When the perceived volume doesn’t match the physical volume it feels synthetic.
    I think both of these amps could be totally workable and I wouldn’t turn my nose up at them. There’s great tones in there
    I’d still be willing to spend twice as much for a good tube amp...they’re just that much better to my preferences.

9. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I was expecting to hear Dumble when the video started and was surprised that it sounded like a modded Marshall. It worked for me because I am not a huge fan of the Dumble when it gets above a medium overdrive.
    Perhaps some other demos have players getting a more Dumble-Esque sound because you’re right...Lance leans Marshall:)
    Funny, the BJF sounded more Dumbley to me in the lead setting and it’s supposed to model a blackface tone?
    I heard a little clip of the One Control Silver Bee in front of the BJF S66 and it gave it a much more convincing blackface vibe..very righteous!
    Made me wonder how much Bjorn designed this One Control ecosystem to work together?
    Perhaps it really shines when combined with his “amp-in-a-box” pedals and almost becomes an analog modeling amp by using them as preamps?
    I will be keeping an ear out for this as it hasn’t officially launched yet and I have heard enough to be intrigued.
    There’s some really interesting affordable and useful stuff coming from this Japanese company.

10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Excuse me for being stupid...I just watched the video again and realized the dude is using a Golden Acorn pedal for gain. Of course it would sound Dumble cuz that’s their Dumble mini pedal...

11. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Also it just strikes me...isn’t that Mike Hermans playing in the first video up there?

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Cool. For a second I thought someone had come up with an amp with only one control/knob.

blueruins likes this.
  13. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    One and done...set it and forget it!

Henry likes this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Sounds very appealing to me.
    But who I am.
    I still like my old Rockman for studio use and the Gallien Kruger 250ML that I still regulary gig with.
    There is some kind of magic in these sounds that even a real tube-nut like me cannot ignore.

blueruins likes this.
  15. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I’m not gonna lie...it’s got an appeal.

16. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA

Sounds better with the Alessandro don't you think?

Ricochet likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That does sound better. I would like a touch more gain though.

blueruins likes this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I just jammed my SS Roland Cube 20 yesterday, perfect living room amp. I always run a good pre though with my SS amps......a Brain or a Morley JD10.

blueruins likes this.
  19. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    That’s when you bust out the GK;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice