On the JM fence...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mschafft, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:56 PM.

1. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Sooo, I spotted a mint Fender American Original 60 Jazzmaster in beautiful Ocean Turquoise for about $1250 (without case). It's mounted with 12s which felt kinda stiff when I played it at the music shop the other day. It's a gorgeous guitar and very well built but the JM design feels a bit bulky (I'm 5.6 ft tall). The lower frets are farther than on most guitars (a bit like an SG in that regard). It sounds really good, I even like the rhythm circuit, but there is actually only one hum cancelling position, which is necessary in my studio because of huge sound interference from train cables outside the building. Nice smooth tremolo action, not sure how it would handle lighter gauge strings (how low can one go with JMs btw?). That's it, I just wanted to share and see if you guys have experimented with Jazzmasters and can offer advice. Have a jazzy day masters of the Gretsch interweb!

[​IMG]

2. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Gorgeous!!!!

JC higgy and mschafft like this.
  3. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Here's mine. Strung with 11-49's, there's no problem with the trems. Limiting yourself to the middle position is going to be a major drawback though.
    [​IMG]

r0de0, Freshy, T Bone and 6 others like this.
  4. Gretsch_Armstrong

Gretsch_Armstrong Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    county morgue, IE
    Nice looking JM.
    12's seem a tad overkill IMHO.
    I have 10/46 on one of mine, and 9/42's on another - both play sweet.
    If you have 'ground' hum issues, get one of these:

[​IMG]

A Behringer hum killer (about $20), doesn't even need a battery.
    Only a tiny drop in volume when used - no change in tone.
    Amazing little device.

LongJohn, wabash slim, r0de0 and 4 others like this.
  5. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Had 10's on my last one, no issues

mschafft likes this.
  6. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Thank you guys for the advice. Well, the Behringer HD400 wouldn't help because the hum doesn't come from ground loops. It's caused by magnetic fields from high voltage train cables and a huge mobile phone antenna just outside my house... Mostly the train because the hum vanishes when I'm holding neck perpendicular to the train rails and cables. I'm glad you brought it up though because it seems like a cheap yet effective solution to a very common problem. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    wabash slim likes this.
  7. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    As Phil X says....the hum stops when you face Mecca.

mschafft likes this.
  8. Daktari9

Daktari9 Gretschie

Dec 17, 2010
    Australia
    Heres my 66 mainly play in the middle.Ive had Jazzmasters over the last 30 years.

9. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Thanks for your input. Stunning guitar! The Penguin looks great as well :D

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Jazzmaster was the only guitar I wanted before I even started playing a kid. I’ve owned several but got it down to two, a Partsmaster and my OTM ‘65 AV Thinskin. I use 10s on both now, regular round wound. I suggest a 1 degree neck pitch if you have a flat neck pocket. The AO should have an angled pocket like my AV does. It’s actually pitched between 2 and 3 degree from the factory, plenty to run 9s if you don’t bash strings, and any gauge is fine if you get something like a Staytrem or Mastery bridge. You might want to look at noiseless JM pickups. Kinman’s are mentioned pretty frequently, but I’m sure there are others. That AO in OTM is a stunner, but I’m already a convert and that’s one of my favorite Fender colors :)

417E6801-A0F2-4677-818C-C0E12A518326.jpeg 3A82275A-0244-4ED3-A5B6-9F617715422F.jpeg

Daktari9, JC higgy, Freshy and 2 others like this.
  11. Gretsch_Armstrong

Gretsch_Armstrong Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    county morgue, IE
    @BorderRadio - What brand are those awesome white/gold 'Art Deco' P90 covers? Or, are they custom made?

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Those are Novak JM Gold foils, basically a DeArmond GF repro under a JM cover. Novak makes these covers to go along with them, two styles, different color plastics and foils.

mschafft likes this.
  13. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Well... I went to try it again and this time it followed me home! I couldn't afford NOT to buy it... It was a no brainer, lightweight, excellent fit and finish. A rare opportunity. And going back and forth between the JM and strats I started to grasp what made Leo move in that direction ergonomically. The trem is very subtle and expressive. The honeymoon phase has officially begun. Thanks for your help guys. I'll install 10-46 strings asap as the current 12-54 are too stiff for me and the truss rod wasn't adjusted accordingly. One thing that strikes me is that the tone knob has that unpleasant on/off feel between 1 and 4. I might used a different value or taper there... Did I mention the neck is nice and chunky with some flame?

JC higgy, BorderRadio and r0de0 like this.
  14. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you for your review.

I've learned a few surf songs as of late and have some GAS for this guitar that I see featured in most of the videos.

I've been considering a Jazzmaster Classic Player Special that is currently calling for me at a local boutique that I saw online. It has the deep pocket, hotter pups, rhythm circuit etc. I have a feeling that if I go to see it, it's going to follow me home. The shop is known for its grade-B stock so I'm also leary of what to look for as I'm a JM virgin. However, the Ocean Turquoise color would be the clincher. <This one is 3-burst>

LongJohn, mschafft and BorderRadio like this.
  15. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Congrats on the new JM, really like mine (wish I played it more). On the hum situation, would a Faraday cage help?

Gretschmen65 and mschafft like this.
  16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats!

I'll add myself to list that has had no issues getting my JMs set up w/ 10s.

Love the color!

mschafft likes this.
  17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I ran 12 flats on my JM and it was perfect, any lower gauges and i would pull the strings out of the saddles (stock). I know there are different bridges available and lots use Mustang saddles to fix this.

mschafft likes this.
  18. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Great idea, but wouldn't the house look weird wrapped in chicken wire? :eek:

mschafft and T Bone like this.
  19. mschafft

mschafft Gretschie

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    It's now set up with 10-46. Thanks to you guys and a few Youtube videos I managed to get action, intonation, and tremolo action (including locking mechanism) working fine. I closed my Photobucket account and have no alternative way of posting pics at the moment. Anyways, it's just like the stock pictures. Very nicely built guitar. The wiring is top notch so I won't mess with the pots for now. There's a rigid bare ground wire coming from the bridge post, it doesn't go to the bottom of the pickup cavity where the shielding plate sits. I wonder if that's normal but I haven't noticed any grounding issues (it makes contact with the pickguard shielding plate at least).

I've been lucky enough to run into a used Fender Modern Player Thinline Telecaster (trans black) the other day (short review here : https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...player-thinline-deluxe.1730542/#post-28850909. This Tele has P90 type pickups. The Jazzmaster and the P90 type Tele offer great new twangy/surfy tones options. I can't wait to experiment more with these fantastic toys !

20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Upload the pics here :)
    We.
    Need.
    Pics.

r0de0 and mschafft like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice