Old guitar player from Mo.

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by sharps4590, Jul 9, 2019.

1. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome to the forum. Best gathering place on the ol' Net that's for sure.

2. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Sir!

3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Welcome! Nice guitars!
    Yeah, I’m not that old, but I’ve already had my allotted amount of beers for a lifetime too ;)

4. Wjensen

Wjensen Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Welcome! I believe it was Merc who said to take off yer shoes and stay awhile. I might at to take of your coat and tie too. Enjoy!

5. And while those shoes are off . . .
    what 'bout a song. . . ?

Good Thing - Paul Revere and the Raiders (1967)

T Bone likes this.
  6. Poeticas

Poeticas Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    Florida
    Welcome aboard! I am new here also. People here are pretty cool.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sharps, we'll get along just fine.

I don't shoot much anymore---never was a hunter but only targets. I'm ex military. With a Sharps, you learn to hit what you're aiming at with the first shot coz you won't get a second one. I had an old .22 short coffee gun when I was young.

I'm a retired stagehand. I worked with everything from microvolts to kilovolts; from 42 gauge to 0000 feeders for three phase---Delta and Y. Our old carbon arc projectors were 90VDC at 60 amps---one Hell of a spark!

Never did an MG but I've had 4 Triumphs and a Leyland Mini Cooper. I learned my lesson about Lucas Electrics.

I had a similar era Peavey amp as well---2X12 50 watts--- far more juice than I needed at home. 15 watts suits me fine. I'm primarily a keyboard player.

Stick around---it's a fun place with some of the best folks on the internet!

sharps4590 and Charlie westside like this.
  8. RoyClark

RoyClark Electromatic

Apr 13, 2019
    Stafford UK
  9. Bass guy

Bass guy Electromatic

Great to hear your story sharps4590. Being an older bassist with a bad shoulder, I have to choose between my passions in our short Canadian summers. Golf, or playing bass. I am glad you get to play regularly, and the antiques/cars hobby is cool. Maybe when my hip gets replaced I will be full time on the bass. Sounds pretty good, huh!!

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Welcome to the friendliest guitar forum on the internet, sharps4590!

11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Electromatic

Thank you again, gentlemen! Wabash, 'bout the smallest I worked with was 22 ga. when the phone companies shrugged off their installations to the electricians. On the big end, paralleled 750 MCM was the biggest I remember and 4 of them per phase was plenty. Like bending solid rods. I would imagine 60 amps of DC at 90 volts would provide for a substantial spark!!! Dad had a little carbon arc welder when I was a kid. It worked ok for what it was. Lucas electrics aren't bad when compared to Italian electrics....at least that's been my experience from back when I turned wrenches for a living. I think that old Peavey is pushing 40 years old. I hardly ever use it.

Bass guy, hope your hip replacement does the trick for you! My very oldest friend is a passionate golfer...an affliction I have never succumbed to. It's too hot here now to be outside anyway, at least for me.

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice