Old guitar player from Mo.

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by sharps4590, Jul 9, 2019.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Electromatic

Good afternoon everyone! Sort of stumbled onto this site and as I own mostly Gertsch guitars it seemed to me I should be here. Been playing for 56 years, country, big band & swing, blues, pop and some half baked folk music. I'm a heck of a chord/rythym guy and a mostly frustrated lead guitar player...especially the way the kids today play....sheesh. Often I just wonder where they're going with what they're playing!!!

MTurner, drmilktruck, swivel and 14 others like this.
  2. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Welcome aboard!

Charlie westside likes this.
  3. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    "Often I just wonder where they're going with what they're playing!!!" A lot of times they just go nowhere...but fast!!

4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Welcome. Take off your shoes and stay a while.

Wjensen and Charlie westside like this.
  5. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Welcome to the group sharps.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome to the asylum!

Sharps? Like in the rifle? That'd explain the 45-90, too.
    As always, the new guy buys the beer.

thunder58 and Charlie westside like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gertschville!

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Welcome from another old player.

thunder58 and Charlie westside like this.
  9. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Welcome! Hey, you don't have to buy beer (for all of us :D). A few pics of a Gretsch or two would be great though. :cool:

10. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Howdy Sharps, good to have you here.

11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, sharps4590 !
    welcome mat orange.jpg

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Welcome in, i play old guitars too:D

13. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Welcome to Gretsch Talk! You will have to provide us with some pictures of your guitars! IMG_20190530_235726.jpg

14. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Welcome from one Sharp to another.

15. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Hey Sharps, Welcome to the forum. You're in good company here.
    We enjoy our Gretsch guitars and have been playin for a bit as well.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    T Bone likes this.
  16. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Welcome to GT Sharps.
    What an intro "I own mostly Gretsch guitars"! How many of them? Which ones? Pics, we want pics of your stable!

17. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Aloha and welcome! Yes, we need pics.

18. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Hi Sharps , glad you found us . The original rule here is " pics or it didn't happen "

19. sharps4590

sharps4590 Electromatic

Goodness! What a welcome!! Thank all of you so much. I'll try to answer all the questions. First off, Yes, Sharps as in the rifle and yes, 45-90. For 12 years the only rifle I hunted with is my Shiloh Sharps, Montana Roughrider in caliber 45-90. I had a Long Range Express in 45-70 and shot it competitively for 11 years then switched to my #1 Sporter in 40-70 SS. I've been a gun nut since I was 5 when Mom & Dad got me my first 22 for Christmas that year. I'd like to think I've evolved into a firearms aficionado. Firearms and hunting are one of the few things I've done longer than play guitar.

I'd be glad to buy a round but I'll have to abstain. I've had my share already.

I did post the only pictures I have in a thread in Electromatics....like to never found the pictures!!!!!! Unfortunately they are all new, I'm the "old" part in the intro post. Other than those the only guitar I own is an Epi Masterbuilt my oldest son gave me. I'll see if I can find them again. The Epi is my Joe Pass.

P1010041 (2).JPG

P1010040 (2).JPG

I don't play out like I used to. I do play a single at our veterans home and other senior housing facilities in the area and in our church worship team...the traditional one.

I used to have a pile of other hobbies but after a round with cancer and chemo I narrowed it down quite a bit. These days it's music, the study of old firearms, mostly German, and the cartridges for which they were chambered. I write a bit for some niche' market firearms periodicals and do some ballistics research for another. Vintage sports cars are still a passion...affordable ones!!! I'm off to St. Louis in a few minutes to look at a 1955 MG-TF and a 1946 MG-TC. I hope one or the other follows me home!!!! There's also the most part of a machine shop in my basement shop for firearms and the old sports cars.

I play trombone in the Rolla Town Band which is a new endeavor.....and played the devil with my chops the first week!!! I hadn't blown a horn since March of 1978. That first night I sounded akin to a dying calf in a hail storm!

It is good to be here among kindred spirits. I look forward to spending some time here and more than likely learning an awful lot. I am as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to pick-ups and any other electronics. I'm a retired electrician after 42 years in the trade and as a business owner but never delved into electronics...I need REAL electricity....lol!

20. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk, sharps4590!

I have recently retired to your state - Peculiar, MO - and I'm having fun watching over my grandkids while I get situated. I hope to be playing a bit more very soon.

Sounds like your life is pretty full of fun things!

Charlie westside and sharps4590 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice