Old Gretsch? Help identifyin

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Gretschnv, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Gretschnv

Gretschnv Electromatic

Sep 22, 2018
    Nevada
    I'm trying to find some information about a Gretsch guitar with a number on the head 8 2231
    How old is it and what is the value. Perfect condition.

Attached Files:

wildeman likes this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That's an Anniversary model (7560, formerly known as the 6117) from August (8) 1972 (2), the 231st guitar made that month. It is in excellent condition!

Per the Blue Book, a mint model is worth $1600.

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk! What's the story behind the guitar? Is it yours? Did you inherit it? Do tell. (Thanks for lots of pictures.)

3. Gretschnv

Gretschnv Electromatic

Sep 22, 2018
    Nevada
    Thanks for the fast reply!
    A neighbor has had it in a case for 20 years.
    I mentioned to him I was learning guitar at 66 years old..he said he had an old Gretsch and would I like to see it and maybe purchase it. He bought it in Pittsburgh long ago.
    It is perfect I mean like brand new. Volume pots are scratchy. I tuned it up and WOW..what a sound.
    I have a Fender Squire my son gave me free. I thought it sounded pretty good UNTIL i plugged this into my Vox AC10.
    Have to have it.
    Probably needs strings and setup.
    Really excited with this one.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Dang that looks pristine. The fingerboard looks soooooo smooth. Hope you are able to acquire it.

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. Gretschnv

Gretschnv Electromatic

Sep 22, 2018
    Nevada
    I'll try..more than I wanted to pay as I'm not a pro, but I'm learning there is a difference in guitar sound.
    Wonder how many were made. Went to The Gretsch Pages thanks to your reply but does not say how many made.
    Probably a few.
    Thanks again Henry.

6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Hopefully Ed Ball (wayne gretschzky) will chime in. He knows those kinds of numbers. He literally wrote the books on Gretsch guitars.

The Blue Book prices should be viewed as retail, so a private transaction should be less. (Stores usually mark up used guitars 25-30%, or in the case of Music Go Round 50%, over what they paid.)

Damn nice guitar. Yes, it's not always true that you get what you pay for, but there is a reason that Gretsch Pro Line models are not starter guitars. Better guitars make it easier to play and look forward to playing. (Or at least I tell my wife that! :D)

7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Gretschnv!
    welcome mat Las Vegas 2.png

8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  9. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Welcome to the forum!! :) Sweet Lass!!

10. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome friend . WOW ! what an intro . She's beautiful . May I recommend a hard shell case for it

11. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    That Kluson tailpiece makes me think it's a Clipper and not an Anniversary. $1500 is the price from any retail seller for one if so, meaning don't pay more than circa $1000 in a private sale, especially without a hardshell case.

12. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    OK, after google. Thumbs and zero fret. Two pickups. The Clipper became a much more useful guitar under Baldwin! Is yours as thin bodied as this one? Is there a label with a model number? If so 7555 is Clipper, 7560 is Anniversary, which should also have a thicker body and G tailpiece I think.
    clipper.jpg

Andrew Griffin and 6124Bassman like this.
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Good catch, Knavel. I keep forgetting the clipper was around that long. Measuring the depth should clinch it.

14. Gretschnv

Gretschnv Electromatic

Sep 22, 2018
    Nevada
    Hi all. I measured and it's 1/34 so Clipper it is. No model number except on the head 8 2231,
    So it's still a 1972?
    Thanks for all your help.
    Pots are scratchy but I can get those replaced or cleaned..what a great guitar. IMO

15. Gretschnv

Gretschnv Electromatic

Sep 22, 2018
    Nevada
    Oh the pickups..can you tell what they are, and are they original?

16. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Man, that's beautiful, congrats!
    Lots of sunbursts this week!

17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The rest of the info is correct.

Blue Book for a 1972 Clipper in mint condition: $1050

18. Gretschnv

Gretschnv Electromatic

Sep 22, 2018
    Nevada
    You all are great.
    I read the Baldwin years are not that great, but what is your opinion of this guitar?

19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    There's some great Baldwin made Gretsch's, there's some crappy Brooklyn Gretsch's, you gotta take every guitar for what it is. Clippers are a cool design though, I'd love one. Oh yeah, check out the Dr's '57 Rambler he's selling in the classifieds.....very cool.

drmilktruck likes this.
  20. Gretschnv

Gretschnv Electromatic

Sep 22, 2018
    Nevada
    It is easy to play, and I think sounds great. If I don't buy it I may sell it for my neighbor. I'll let you all know. For a grand I could do a lot worse. It's in perfect shape.
    Again thanks for all the info.

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice