Old corvette advice and odd pickup routing

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by ChrisChris, Jul 3, 2019.

1. ChrisChris

ChrisChris Electromatic

Mar 31, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Hi all,

Just scored a 60's 'vet for a song.

https://ibb.co/pbxJS0k
    https://ibb.co/F5T6b8P
    https://ibb.co/92KtQ91

I was expecting some nasties hiding under that "custom" scratchplate and sure enough that's what I found, namely a large 1.5" plug and a strange pickup routing.

So question 1 - Has anyone seen this pickup routing before? It looks rather old, possibly original from the paint inside it...but I can't for the life of me figure out what kind of pickup it would be for...? Looks almost telecaster like...?

Next question - The guitar has some lovely authentic aging and patina (light knocks and lacquer checking all over), should I fill the scratchplate holes, paint over and leave it...or go for a full on restoration, fill pickup routing and respray a flat colour to hide the filling (I'm thinking Cadillac Green)... ? The tuners aren't original either and would leave holes if removed.

Advice and opinions welcome.

Cheers

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  3. ChrisChris

ChrisChris Electromatic

Mar 31, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Yeah it looks like a telecaster routing but seems too small, plus those odd posts, which again look like the original paint...unless it had a respray back in the day and it's all aged the same maybe?

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    My guesstimate... You know it has a Hilo in the bridge position...So the original pickup route was filled and then routed for a Tele bridge(non-slanted) and the body refinished as proven by the 1.5” dowel.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  5. ChrisChris

ChrisChris Electromatic

Mar 31, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Any suggestions on course of action to take? Full on restoration or tart up, shut up, and play the thing...I'm on the fence...?

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If it was my project I would fill all the screw holes, fit some ‘tron PU variety, and refinish the guitar. Caddy green sounds good to me.

I do find those posts a bit worry some. It would suggest the neck angle is so extreme there was no point routing the body. Then again, why was it routed for the Tele pickup? A bit of a head scratcher.

Tinman46 likes this.
  7. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    It would be pretty difficult to hide all that unless you go a solid color. On the other hand I don't care for the extra scratch plate.
    I would be tempted to fill all the holes and pickup route. Reroute a proper hole and go a solid color I like. It's a bit of a shame to get rid of all the natural aging but personally I wouldn't like the looks of the hole fills or that scratch plate.

8. ChrisChris

ChrisChris Electromatic

Mar 31, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Cheers for the input guys!

That's the way I'm leaning too, fill all holes, re-rout for pickup and spray Cadillac Green. It plays ok (or it will once I can get a stronger spring for the trem) so I think I'll keep it for a while anyway.

I'd like to keep it to original spec though so will see how I get on with the HiLo's for now I think.

Anyone got a line on Cadillac Green nitro in the UK?

9. afire

afire Country Gent

I like your thinking on this. Seems like it will be a cool end result, and with the unbound body, finishing shouldn't be too much of a chore (or expense if you have somebody else do it).

10. pesimax

pesimax Gretschie

Jan 24, 2011
    Manchester
    I picked up a fairly beat up (sprayed black and the sanded back down to original finish) 60s corvette.. I was planning a respray but then the beat up look grew on me.

I suggest getting it set up and playing as well as possible and not doing any modding/spraying for a year... you might end up growing to like it.

Henry likes this.
  11. ChrisChris

ChrisChris Electromatic

Mar 31, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Yeah I know what you mean. I've restrung it today anyway, think I'll fill and touch up the screw holes and play it as is for a little while and if I still feel the same after spending a little time with it, I'll go for it...and post pics of course :)

12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I have a redone Corvette from 1964. (Not painted admittedly and not as changed as yours.) Well worth it. Best neck ever.

IMG_4291.jpeg IMG_4295.jpeg IMG_4294.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    loudnlousy, Jena, ChrisChris and 4 others like this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    http://dartfords.com/?group=cellulose-paint-and-lacquer

So how about that neck angle? Did you check?

14. ChrisChris

ChrisChris Electromatic

Mar 31, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Thanks for the link, that's the old Rothco and Frost people I think.

Yeah the bridge pickup is currently surface mounted, so it does have a fairly large neck angle from the looks of it. Don't see that being a problem though...do you?

15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It don't look bad with the added guard imo, kind of a Cipollina look to it. I'd just run with it myself.

16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    On the other hand, I'd be very tempted to try a Telly pickup.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yes, Rothko and Frost.

Depends on what you’re planning with the bridge and tailpiece.
    You’ll need extra large posts/studs. That’s a custom fit right outta gate.
    Depending on the rest of the hardware that may not end up looking right(strictly aesthetically speaking). And if you’re planning to install a trem it’s gonna get a bit wobbly and affect the intonation.

Nothing overly dramatic or complicated but it helps to consider these aspects before diving in. I’m sure it’s gonna be awesome!

18. Luve 'Vettes . . .

Best neck eva is a keeper . . .
    and I kinda in a sick way LIKE what a twist after the bridge lol
    it doesn't matter of course if scale length intonation is cool

oh my Jena with a song . . . *cringe*

See Your Smile - Gloria Estafan (1993)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    drmilktruck likes this.
  19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    As I love guitars with real battlescars I would not change a thing on this one. People are paying money to get their new guitars reliced like that.
    Here`s mine:
    IMG_1117.JPG

larryb and drmilktruck like this.
  20. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Can't resist throwing mine into the mix. The only things I've done here is to bypass the Burns and refret it.

65 CVT.JPG 65 cvt2.JPG

loudnlousy and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice