Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Okay....um, Gibson? You’re embarrassing yourself....

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by TSims1, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    He got a very nice looking “hammer”. :)

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Fenders (read Teles, Strats, Jags and Jazzies) can be lethal. Use with caution and never attempt to repel boarders with a Gretsch or Gibson, except in the most dire circumstances.

3. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    If you use one as a defensive weapon often enough, you learn how to time matters precisely and the assailant will land in a thud at the downbeat of the opening measure of an 8 bar figure. I've actually come to depend on it as a rhythmic effect. :)

Rob Williams likes this.
  4. senojnad

senojnad Gretschie

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Reliced...?? Here is a specimen reliced instrument on display at the Philly Guitar Show (11/11/2017):

DSC_0609E.jpg

Attached Files:

Pete66 and Rob Williams like this.
  5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    The ultimate relic: unplayable. :)

Rob Williams likes this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Given the choice between Gibby and Gretsch though, my money is on the Gretsch. Non self-ejecting headstock wins every time...

Tony65x55 likes this.
  7. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    If the only place your guitar wears out is where your hand/arm rests, better use better paint. Like the problem with GM hoods in the 80’s- no one liked that.

Or you may have a skin condition ranging from unusually acidic or perhaps extremely rough and dry.

8. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Perhaps the heads at Gibson are planning on running for public office or something.

wildeman likes this.
  9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Awesome - that's the way you do it...:)

dilver likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I knew that there was a reason for pointy guitars...

11. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Yeah, Gibson does a lot of stupid ****, but the 2017 Custom Shop Les Paul Standard I bought earlier this year, is a fine, fine instrument. I'm still a fan and hope they can get out from under all this. Everyone blames Henry J, but he's not the only one making decisions there.

Robbie and TSims1 like this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Absolutely. Isn't that how they did the final gong hit in Bohemian Rhapsody?

13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    You're so right. They still make some great guitars but the number of lemons are much higher than the price tag should suggest. And of course, Epi has raised their bar to a place where the biggest difference is largely the electronics and finishes. That hurts their rep badly when experienced players are saying stuff like that.

14. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That's a Kay and worth rebuilding believe it or not! Thee rockabilly bass.
    Or just slap some strings on and go cat go.

15. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

My Gibson Hummingbird is a treasure as well, and I grew up strumming on a 1965 B-25........I have a real soft spot in my heart for Gibson, and that is likely what fuels my anger.

Robbie and dilver like this.
  16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    That’s the case with me. If I didn’t love the brand, I wouldn’t care in the slightest.

Gibson used to stand for something. They had lifetime warranties and stood behind their instruments as if each and every one was a favored child. Back in the pre-Norlin era, you could buy a Gibson sight-unseen and never think twice about it. On the rare chance that you got a lemon, they would make matters right.

From what I can tell, the current philosophy is to manipulate the customer base and they don’t really care about customer satisfaction. The only thing they seem to care about is trying to force dealers and customers alike into new purchases. IMO, a professional quality guitar should be a lifetime purchase and every truly great guitar serves as advertising for every musician in the audience, amateur or professional.

How many Gretsches has Chet’s ‘59 Country Gent sold? I’m looking at three as a type.

17. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    I'm a big fan of Gibson, in general, and have, I think, 12 including modern and vintage, semi and archtop, and a Grabber bass. Also a big fan of Fender and, of course, Gretsch, although I've sold two or three of the Gretsches recently. Because Gibson (to me) is one of the iconic names with a history of being used by some of my favourite players, I get concerned when the quality isn't up to scratch. I think, in general, it's pretty good as far as my own small collection is concerned, but one thing that annoys me is that on a couple of guitars (a Lucille and a 345), trying to 'vibrato' a chord results in the top E falling off the fretboard. It's so annoying - one of my 345's does it, but the other (same year) doesn't.

Anyway - I'm not a fan of relicing (but each to their own) because my feeling is that a guitar should 'earn' its mojo and battles scars - no matter what it looks like and how skilfully it's done, it's just not 'real' - just my feeling anyway.

Fender do it well, to be fair, although it's not my cup of tea (I did manage to get my hands on something that I've wanted for a while the other week - a CS Strat in Daphne Blue with Abby pickups, which is lovely) but the Gibson example which started the thread is a shocker! :)

18. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I have yet to pick up a Les Paul from the factory in the last three years that has a decently sculpted nut. Way high slots that are cut dead straight. Any string pressed from the first to third frets will go 20 cents sharp. No excuse. I sort of have this same complaint about Gretsch as well, but I think Gibson is worse.

On a good note, I just sculpted a new nut for my 6119 and it's excellent. Doesn't bind at all. Stays in tune well.

19. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Oh...the humanity!

Synchro likes this.
  20. A-Zed

A-Zed Electromatic

Jun 15, 2017
    Canberra Australia
    Not worthy.....

I Googled my symptoms. I just needed more guitars.