Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Okay....um, Gibson? You’re embarrassing yourself....

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by TSims1, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I’ve always preferred those KISS guitars that were shaped like an executioner’s axe. :)

Rob Williams likes this.
  2. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Me too. They don't even go out of tune when you use them to knock some belligerent a**hole unconscious in self-defense! ;)

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Exactly why they're my preference for that particular use...
    The Snark probably popped off from the impact, but I don't reckon it would be needed after.

audept likes this.
  4. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    In an emergency you can use them as a cricket bat, too!

5. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Yeah - but then you have to own one....and I'm not giving in!! I'll just use someone elses' as a cricket bat, or a canoe paddle as they were intended to be ;)
    I think a tele would be a spanking paddle...a proper LP will send 'em to the boundary fence lol

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Prepare for The Ashes, invest in a Blackguard. :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    audept and Rob Williams like this.
  7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Long ago, in a Minneapolis far away, I once played a gig that started to go quite badly as the audience became evermore inebriated. At one point, a faction of Skynyrd fans threatened to rush the stage and take our instruments. At one point, I found myself on the edge of the stage with a Les Paul Custom held by the neck advising a very drunk redneck that if he took one more step I was going to El Kabong him. :) It worked, BTW. The revolt ended that moment.

Robbie, Rob Williams and russmack like this.
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I have a guitar buddy that absolutely loves those robot tuners.
    I have to admit they are fun to watch.
    I asked him do they work okay and he say they work great.
    Maybe they do but I don't think I would pay all that money for them.
    The Les Paul that they're on felt pretty good but he paid about 4 grand for that guitar so I wouldn't expect any less.
    All I know is I went to Guitar Center a few months ago to try out Les Pauls.
    I started out at the $1,500 level and worked my way up to the $4,500 customs.
    The only one that felt good to me was the $4,500 one.
    The rest had various problems from sharp frets to just crappy feeling necks.
    I have to be honest though most of the cheaper Fender, Gretsch, Ibanez, Yamaha guitars that were there all had problems too.
    I know Guitar Center isn't the best place to buy a guitar but I just could not believe how many felt so bad.

9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Oh gosh you played gigs like that too?
    I was in a bar one night on break and I went to the rest room.
    I was standing there peeing and this redneck biker walks up next to me and says "you play any Skynyrd?" I had to tell him the truth - No we don't.
    He pulled out a knife, holds it up to my face and told me "you will play some Skynyrd when you go back on the stage".
    We played a long shitty version of Gimme Three Steps.

Rob Williams likes this.
  10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I doubt that I could have faked any Skynyrd song then except, possibly Sweet Home Alabama.

11. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    True story: In the late '60s it was common to play in theaters with a low stage and before crash barriers so the crowd could swarm right up to the front. One night I had a fuzz-box on the floor at the front of the stage (we were doing "Satisfaction") when this idiot started trying to move my pedal around. I told him to stop, but he made a move to pull my cables out. I slipped the strap off the rear strap knob and just let the Tele swing down until it hit him full in the face. He went down like a bag of s**t. I called out to the security on the side of the stage: "Hey, there's a guy fainted down here". They came and dragged him away. I think I lost less than a bar of music and the Tele stayed in tune. :D

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Many years ago, I was in the audience at a concert, specifically to see the guitarist’s technique. There was a standing area in front of the stage and I had staked out and advised spot to observe and learn. After the music started, some drunk kept trying to push me out of the way. I stood firm, but every so often he’d weave back in my direction and try to displace me from my spot. Finally, about the fifth time, I was ready for him. When I saw him approaching, I drew my elbow across my abdomen and when he leaned into me he got an elbow to the ribs with as much force as I could muster. That was the last time he tried. That was well over 20 years ago, and I think his ribs are still healing. :)

audept likes this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Btw, that night I went home and picked up my Tele. It was still in tune. :)

14. Mr. Lumbergh

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Because of course it was. :D

audept likes this.
  15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    LOL, there was more than once on the road that after the gig, I had to take a toothpick and pick the skin out of my old Strat's split tuners. Man, do they make a divot in a drunk's forehead. "No really, he passed out. No idea what those marks are."

audept likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yikes. Now I understand why audiences yell Freebird at random bands. It's not to be obnoxious; it's to avoid violence.

Gretschtim1 and Rob Williams like this.
  17. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I've been to many a concert and no matter how mellow take the music, healthy doses of elbow are critical to hold ground. If it's a woman, a big cup of ice water held in her direction is used if I'm feeling like a gentleman. A couple spills and even the drunkest patron learns.

18. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    A friend of mine once came home late from a gig, got into a fight with his wife & ended up chucking his Tele (in its case) out the second floor window in frustration. He went down & retrieved it & put it away. Next night he goes to his gig, pulls the Tele out of the case, & it was still in tune.

Rob Williams and audept like this.
  19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I keep a Tele in my bedroom in case of home invasion or nuclear attack. :)

20. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I'm not saying this Zebrawood/solid Pau Ferro neck tele is heavy, but Thor stopped by to borrow it after something happened to his hammer the other week.

15391179_1841752929374218_7221017767893043566_n.jpg

Pete66, heinzman and LivingMyDream like this.