Ok, I bought my life after near death guitar

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Oct 8, 2019.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Ya, the vote was overwhelming, buy the guitar. Like I really needed any encouraging.

But, sticking with my one in one out rule, one had to go. Not gretsch, rather my other Eastman, the blond one. It is a spectacular guitar, just stunning workmanship but two things drove me crazy. The jack would get in the way of the Bigsby if ya did not use a right angle plug (I could have lived with that) the nail in the coffin was the fact it was butt heavy. I sit and play a lot and I was always fighting the neck. It is a Eastman T 496b (b for bigsby). I played the T486 and it balanced fine. Kinda weird because my two Gretschs, one hollowbody and one thinline, with Bigsbys balance fine.

AA0BFAFF-304C-473B-A89D-51EDB4BA732C.jpeg

I traded my blond for a redhead.

Again stunning all hand made quality, Ebony fingerboard, nitro finish, all top quality American electronics, pots, jack, switch. The bone nut is perfectly dressed and shaped and the intonation, relief and string heights are perfect.

If you have not checked out Eastman, ya really should. I found my “335” and it crushes my Gibson 335 I unloaded a few years ago.

As for my “saved my life” son in law, he doesn’t play guitar but he needs a new good quality chop saw....I’m thinking there is one in his future.

239AA999-4A9D-48EF-8938-738620FF8AE5.jpeg 61ECA1F7-9AC5-42D9-AC80-A70FB21D1A97.jpeg E42C937B-DF5D-4043-8103-9661AD6DF477.jpeg CC3B1802-FE54-4826-B4D1-A11D38A7F848.jpeg 77245582-A6B7-4E87-A543-C88A1B718E5E.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Well worth living for!

MKunie and radd like this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congratulations radd . . . for both recent events!

radd likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats on the new guitar! Your intentions for your son-in-law "thank you" gift are a great idea too!

MKunie, radd and Merc like this.
  5. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Congratulations on the new redhead, it is a real beauty. I really hate to ask, but is there any correlation between giving the life saving son-in-law a chop saw, and the blonde Eastman needing a weight reduction? Just had to ask....

Sabato, radd and pmac11 like this.
  6. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Beauty, Enjoy.

radd likes this.
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Congrats. The Eastman at my local shop have been very nice.

I also get the near death experience thing and picking up a new guitar. Life’s and death is more like walking a tight rope than most people realize. Enjoy playing that red in the new comfort with ease. Props for sticking with your one for one rule too. I do the same thing.

radd and mrfixitmi like this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

The case it comes standard with is just about as stunning as the guitar.

But, ...........No jack plate. That will change soon :D

thunder58 likes this.
  10. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Very nice wood grain on both. I have never seen an Eastman in person, they look very nice.

radd likes this.
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    This is the reverse of how it usually goes. Most guys buy a guitar, then they have an NDE when they have to face their wives. :)

GlenP, blueruins, MTurner and 5 others like this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats! That binding is amazing.

radd likes this.
  13. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Gorgeous! Congrats to you - for surviving and for the Eastman. Eastman make excellent, very well-crafted instruments, indeed!

radd likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ........ atta boy :)

radd likes this.
  15. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

What a stunner, congratulations. And forgive me, was this the scary choking story I read about?

16. Eastman can make some good stuff. Had a 371 when they first came out, and for the price you couldn’t beat it for a hollow body electric. Just felt better than the epiphone entries. Also have a Eastman mandola and a AR610 acoustic archtop. It looks flawless when you get it. An American made version would have cost upwards of 5000. It plays and sounds great.

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Nice but I can't imagine why you need gojo in that clean area.

dafreeze likes this.
  18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Yup

19. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    :D

Well, I worked on my motorcycles for the last 50 yrs until I sold my last one a couple years ago. . Old habits I guess.

20. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Lovely geet,congrats on both the geet and breathing !

My local has Eastman's in stock ,but i daren't try one !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice