Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Ok everybody... Has it been decided? Do the Compton bridges work with the 5622 pinned bodies?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by GG Sean, Oct 11, 2017.

1. GG Sean

GG Sean Electromatic

Jul 20, 2016
    Chesterfield, Michigan
    Seriously, looking for your opinions and experiences. If you did it how happy are you with it. Is the intonation out? What metal did you go for and how did it sound? If you found a better choice speak up and be heard. I am looking to mod mine out and slowly working to all gold metalwork is one way I'm leaning. SO I was thinking Brass but I want to get as much info as I can from those who know before I get into it.

2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    You won‘t get perfect intonation with a simple compensated barbridge on a fixed construction.
    But if perfect intonation, paramount tone and tuning stability is on your wishlist you want a dBridge.
    A brass bridge will smooth up your tone while a aluminum bridge twangs it up, as a rule of thumb. Check here.

GG Sean likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, there's some member who own the G5622T 1st version that have installed a Compton bridge on it (Henry ? rambleon ? Sorry I don't remember who exactly) and should give you some useful advices about Comptons on G5622T.

I personally use a Göldo (Thomann.de) roller bridge on my G5622TLH and I'm happy with it.

[​IMG]

A+!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    GG Sean likes this.
  4. jclute

jclute Electromatic

Mar 8, 2016
    Sharpsburg, GA
    hcsterg is right, someone here does have a 5622 with a compton and I don't remember either. I have the ABM 2400 roller bridge and very happy with it. Improved tone and tuning with bigsby use. Recently just added one the Bricks Biggfix tuning stabilizers too.

I like your profile pic :)

GG Sean likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, the ABM2400C is THE premium choice in roller bridge...

Fortunately, I recently discovered that it could be converted to Left-Hand version with some watchmaker work and tools ;), so I'm going to use one on my guitar project to come :) !

A+!

Aymara, GG Sean and jclute like this.
  6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    E7EB3424-C997-41B0-A043-BFB7CF3E133D.png Why many unnecessary parts, roller friction and wrong radius when there‘s a better, handcrafted solution?

Mudshark and Waxhead like this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Got one on my peerless 5125 with fixed posts, intonation is surprisingly good, not perfect but not out enough to bug me. The difference in tone is well worth it imo.

8. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Though I can’t answer your specific question, I have used Compton’s extensively and really enjoy the product. That said......I would be extremely interested to try one of the new dBridges.

Lizardkinged and Waxhead like this.
  9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    The Compton works great on my 5620 and 5655 (both straight/non-angled fixed post mounted). They've each got a couple of strings that are between .1 - .25 cents off according to the strobe tuner, but it's not nearly enough to bother my ears 99% of the time and the upgrade in sound and feel seem to make the rare occasion it's noticeable to me an easy trade off. It might be a bigger problem for someone w/ super perfect pitch, that being said I don't exactly have lead ears...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got CCCBs w/ very similar specs in chambered steel (usually lives on the 5655), solid copper (for the 5620), and solid aluminium (which rides on the Panther). The steel generally sounds the most solid/hifi/even frequency response to me across all the Gretsches I've slapped it on w/ a good punchiness and weight to the attack and no specific frequencies seeming overly hyped. The copper is a really cool kind of mix between the aluminium's high end sparkle and cut w/ a bit more even lows and mids and some extra complexity to the general character over the steel. The aluminium seems like it generally lends some what of a scooped EQ w/ a really nice shimmery type top end and seems to have been the best choice by a pretty good margin out of the three to pair up w/ the HS Filters.

If you were going for a roller bridge, I will jump on the wagon in recommending the ABM 2400. I've had one for a few years and it's been great on every level on every guitar I've put it on and has the advantage of being adjustable so you can put it on multiple guitars w/ different intonation needs.

TSims1 likes this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I have a 5422 with a stainless steel compton bridge.
    Works great and is so close to giving perfect intonation only the obsessed would be concerned.
    A few cents off pitch on a strobe tuner is inaudible to the human ear anyway - beyond physical capabilities for human beings.

I've never heard a brass Compton live.
    I see you are concerned to get all gold hardware but personally my priority is tone - not looks.
    So I always go for what sounds the best to me.
    Here's mine :)

[​IMG]

11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have 13 or 14 Comptons and half of them are on fixed bridge posts. Generally no problems there.

It's essential though, the intonation pattern of the current bridge's saddles, will not deviate too much from the one on a Compton.

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Aaah, the 5620... If only it existed in left-hand version... :(:(:( :D...

A+!

13. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    This, you should be able to look at the saddles and see.

14. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Again, you‘ll hear the difference between good and perfect intonation. If you want the tonal advantage of a bar bridge and the perfect intonation of a TOM you want a dBridge. Dave‘s concept is the first real bridge innovation for sure.

15. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Looks like an exact copy of the ABM 2400, which I use on my Panther.

16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Gotta beg to differ there. Most players (and by most I mean 99%+) aren't going to be able to hear the difference when you're .1 - .25 cents off on one/2 strings in a chord. Most won't even notice 1-2 cents.

Not meaning to start anything as I'm all for more options in bridges, the dBridge seems cool, and I like small startups in general, but "the first real innovation in bridge design"? Hyperbole much? ;)

17. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    "The latest (or newest) innovation in bridge design" might be a nice marketing slogan ;)

18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Oh, no, Aymara... The ABM 2400C is upper quality construction and much more costy than the Göldo, and also built differently, with a lower profile. A premium item, though, no doubt... And Lefty convertible ;) !

That said, the Göldo works very well and is more than decently machined for its price (circa 37 Euros against 95 Euros for the ABM at thomann.de)

A+!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  19. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Daves idea is the first real innovation in bridge design for sure. It‘s the best of both worlds without the disadvantages. You guys should try it yourselves.

20. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    I hear when my guitars intonation is off
    My acoustic's b string is off by 2cents my A string on my Gretsch is off by about .5 cents
    As far as the dBridges go that innovation he mentioned is that you get the intonation you send it's not one size fits all. Unless I'm mistaken no one else is doing that